Aerial Mast replacement - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > Rover 600

Old 03-11-2007, 17:04   #1
Reverie158

Car: MG ZT260 SE #144, MG6 Magnette TSE
Send a message via MSN to Reverie158
Aerial Mast replacement

Well, like the idiot I am, instead of just getting another aerial like any normal person I thought I'd just replace the mast. Got one off ebay, seems OK.

So... How the heck do you get the old mast out?

I've unscrewed the top nut. The instructions say then 'switch the radio on and the aerial will be ejected' - unless it's seized, in which case a few sharp tugs will remove it.

Mine appears to be stuck solid. However, on the new one there are two catches on the bottom of it - don't see how I can release these.

So do I just pull the thing to the point of destruction? Or is there a more subtle way?

Many thanks

Justin
Reverie158 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2007, 17:15   #2
Stu C

Car: MG ZT 260SE & Rover 25 iL Derv
Send a message via MSN to Stu C
Hmmm from what i remember when i took mine apart, the inside the mast is a cable with teeth on which goes round a winding gear. Its this that stops it going up and down and sticking, as the teeth dont grip the gear.

Without looking it i cant really remember how to get to it maybe a pic would help?

I bought one from a proper breakers yard from a honda accord, did the trick 2 years after i got it, and still worked after sold the car lol
Stu C is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2007, 17:38   #3
Reverie158

Well I've taken the whole thing to bits now - it's definately stuck in the neck of the aerial, I'm thinking I maybe need to get some molegrips round this bit marked 'A' in the pic and try to get it out that way.

...unless the 'A' bit stays put and the mast 'B' should come out?

Part A is lodged firmly in the neck - part B moves up and down freely till it stops and won't come out any further.

Crikey it's hard putting this into words
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pict0733.jpg (52.7 KB, 48 views)

Old 03-11-2007, 18:00   #4
Karlqvist

Car: Rover 600
from what I can remember the arial is'nt really attached with much more then the cable with teeth on it... but I can be wrong, it was about 3 years since I did it
Anyhow, I took the hole motor apart to be able to wind the teeth correctly. This was'nt more than 30 min work, but after what I've heard there schould be an easier way also....

cheers
Karlqvist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2007, 17:36   #5
Reverie158

Thanks for everyone's help! Invaluable to the mechanically incompetent such as me!

The good old fall back of BFI (Brute force and ignorance) saved the day. Clamped a set of mole grips round the part marked A and will a lot of effort and copious WD40 it came out. Refitting the aerial unit in the car and spent a further half hour ramming the new mast in, whilst my Mrs got more and more bored switching the radio on and off as required!

Anyway, it's done now and works perfectly again. Got there in the end.

Old 22-11-2007, 08:25   #6
Mytwocents

Car: MG ZS 120+/620SLi auto
Hi, this is my first addition as a new member and I know its a bit late but may help others. When replacing just the mast you have to remove the complete motor and mast assembly from behind the boot trim.(remove chrome nut,pull back trim,unplug aerial and remove one small bolt..DO take note how motor assembly is positioned) At the bottom of the mast cover you'll see a small screw..unscrew it. This releases the masts protective outer cover from the motor assembly. Switch on radio and mast will completely extend taking with it the outer cover and full plastic gear teeth length. (obviosly point aerial away from you when you do this). You should now have the extended aerial and mast cover in your hand. Push the mast back into its cover. Here is where you made your mistake. The mast does'nt pull out it pushes in and comes out the bottom of the cover. The mast stem has a lip on the thickest length which stops it coming out the top.The lip is there to stop it when it reaches maximum length. Anyway, you may have to give the mast a gentle or big tap on top to free it then just pull it through from the end of the cover. Put in new mast and put toothed gear length into motor. Switch radio off. The motor starts to wind everything in but you do have to guide the end of the cover into its position on the motor assembly. This will become obvious when attempted. Once the new mast is wound in simply reverse the removal procedure. When tightening the final big chrome nut it can be a good idea to get someone to hold the cover inside the boot to stop it turning. Thats it !!! Half hour at most. If anyone reads this can you tell me if its understandable. Its kinda hard explaning something without pictures or being there.......or maybe it is'nt. Thanks.

Last edited by Mytwocents; 22-11-2007 at 08:30. Reason: I did'nt include removal procedure...sorry!.
Mytwocents is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-11-2007, 16:51   #7
MGJohn
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MGZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2
By coincidence I worked on an old spare R600 electric aerial I had laying around last week. I obtained a mast assembly for a Honda Accord (USA Spec) quite cheaply and tried to fit that. I did find that the outer retaining sleeve of the old mast had corroded itself into the support tube which holds the contracted mast away when not erected. I had to use a lot of force to remove that corroded sleeve (with the two clips as previously described above ) but, when sliding the Accord mast in to the tube, it was about 1mm to big in diameter so would not go. Motor worked perfectly.

I now have a R600 Electric aerial ready for a new mast ... not a USA spec Accord one ....

By the way, where did you get the correct R600 mast from Reverie158 and how much was it ?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytwocents View Post

Thats it !!! Half hour at most. If anyone reads this can you tell me if its understandable. Its kinda hard explaning something without pictures or being there.......or maybe it is'nt. Thanks.
Having done the above, perfectly understandable thanks.. There were TWO small screws holding the tube on my example ~ not the one as you found.

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......

Last edited by MGJohn; 22-11-2007 at 16:56.
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-11-2007, 17:07   #8
Reverie158

The good old bay of e

This is the one

Old 05-07-2008, 13:07   #9
Jamie618i

Car: Rover 600
I have the entire mast, motor unit and fitting for the aerial from my old accord but am not sure how to begin removing the entire unit from my rover 618?
Jamie618i is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 14:38   #10
Reverie158

Post #6 above is a good description

Old 10-07-2008, 09:53   #11
BugsBunny

Car: Rover 620SDI
Send a message via MSN to BugsBunny Send a message via Skype™ to BugsBunny
This is where I bought my new mast:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/car-masts-u...Q3amesstQQtZkm

If they don't have it listed email them and they will put it on a list.

Cheers,

BB
BugsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2008, 11:29   #12
600.ger

Car: Jaguar S-Type 3 Litre
Just as a quick note -
Before you really going to throw a broken aerial away, flood it with WD40 and test it. I was about to replace mine, because it was stuck every damn time. Works like new for months now.

R.
600.ger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13-07-2008, 04:25   #13
Ray_S
Supporter

Car: Honda Civic Type-S (05), Honda Accord 2.0i SE (98), Honda Civic 1.4i S Auto (00)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600.ger View Post
Just as a quick note -
Before you really going to throw a broken aerial away, flood it with WD40 and test it. I was about to replace mine, because it was stuck every damn time. Works like new for months now.

R.
Using WD40 is the worst thing you can do in my opinion as it attracts all kinds of dirt and grim which will foul the mast even more.
Ray_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13-07-2008, 17:33   #14
600.ger

Car: Jaguar S-Type 3 Litre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_S View Post
Using WD40 is the worst thing you can do in my opinion as it attracts all kinds of dirt and grim which will foul the mast even more.
I strongly disagree. Of course WD40 is not suited for everything but in closed/semi-closed parts it's the easiest way to go. To the aerial you can apply it through the two small holes left and right of the holding mount. No need to open anything.

R.
600.ger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13-07-2008, 23:58   #15
Ray_S
Supporter

Car: Honda Civic Type-S (05), Honda Accord 2.0i SE (98), Honda Civic 1.4i S Auto (00)
We are going to have to agree to disagree.

The mast on our other Accord was treated with WD40 unknown by me at the time and has failed 6 months later.
Ray_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-07-2008, 20:43   #16
jimo746

Car: 620 SLDI + import Eunos Roadster Turbo
Hmmm.... my aerial was stuck in the "up" position, then was snapped off when I went thru' a car wash (doh!!), now its stuck halfway up..... and i mean STUCK!

I see it's 45 for a new mast & assembly on ebay, could I not just fit a universal type bee-sting style aerial as a cheaper replacement?
jimo746 is offline   Reply With Quote