Rover 214 Key Fob Help Please!!!!! :) - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > 'R8' Rovers (aka Wedges!!)

Old 10-12-2007, 22:06   #1
Jaysif

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Exclamation Rover 214 Key Fob Help Please!!!!! :)

Hi Guys,

For my first car i've bought a 1994 Rover 214 SLI and it think it's absolutley brilliant

My problem is that i think the car has remote central locking since a key fob came with the keys and there is the infa red reciever near the ceiling light in the car.

The fob itself appears to be broken, there is nothing covering where the two buttons should be and instead i can see iniside it. I was thinking this is maybe where the batteries go?
Anyways ive been looking around the internet for new key fobs and how i'd go about reprogramming them and every where i've looked seems to talk about ones made by "Lucas" the only thing written on mine is "Valeo"? If i get one of these lucas ones will i be able to make it work with my car?

I'm very much a noob when it comes to cars and this sorta stuff, im 17 and only passed my test last thursday lol
Jaysif is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2007, 22:18   #2
davie27

Car: Rover 200 Cabby
if the remote is duff you will need a replacement one and have to get it reprogramed. like my self ive just bought a rover 214 cabby with the same problem and had to pay a mobile spraky to come out and supply me with a new fob and programme it as my imobilizer wouldnt turn off without the fob which cost me 95 quid. owch :@( you can buy a service kit for your fob which includes a new battery.black plastic case.rubber buttons and new mirco switches.this may cure yours.if not its a new fob and reprogramme im afraid.
davie27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 01:18   #3
Mike T
Supporter

Car: Rover 400 (90-95)
Try this site:-
http://www.remotekey.co.uk/cars/rover/rover-200/faq.asp
They refit your fobs innards into a new casing
Mike
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 05:32   #4
Dr Dave
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by davie27 View Post
if the remote is duff you will need a replacement one and have to get it reprogramed. like my self ive just bought a rover 214 cabby with the same problem and had to pay a mobile spraky to come out and supply me with a new fob and programme it as my imobilizer wouldnt turn off without the fob which cost me 95 quid. owch :@( you can buy a service kit for your fob which includes a new battery.black plastic case.rubber buttons and new mirco switches.this may cure yours.if not its a new fob and reprogramme im afraid.
Not if it is an infra-red plip...........

Old 11-12-2007, 05:43   #5
davie27

Red face

how are the infa red ones sorted when they go wrong dr dave? :@) i take it there the best type? probabarly are knowing my luck lol.i had mine reprogrammed yesterday and i asked the guy what happens if the battery goes flat or has to be taken off n he said it may lose the code.if so how do you retrieve it back? the fob i got aint the same as the normal one.the only way i can describe the shape is like the shape of a eye lol :@)

Old 11-12-2007, 21:45   #6
tambo

Car: Rover 45
Angry imobiliser problem

hi,i have just had the cylinder head gasket done on my 2002 rover 45 when the machanic tried to start the car once this job was done he couldn't he told me the battery wasnt disconnected so we tried the key access code but had no joy (never had any problems with the imobiliser before)has any one got a clue about this?
tambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2007, 05:12   #7
Dr Dave
Administrator

Garages
Does it turn over? If so, it isn't the immobiliser, the cam timing will be 180 deg out.

Inlet and exhaust roll pins and 2 o clock and 7 o clock respectively.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:13   #8
Dr Dave
Administrator

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by davie27 View Post
how are the infa red ones sorted when they go wrong dr dave? :@) i take it there the best type? probabarly are knowing my luck lol.i had mine reprogrammed yesterday and i asked the guy what happens if the battery goes flat or has to be taken off n he said it may lose the code.if so how do you retrieve it back? the fob i got aint the same as the normal one.the only way i can describe the shape is like the shape of a eye lol :@)
I'm not aware of a way of reprogramming the IR plips - does your's have that little glass 'eye' on the front edge?

Can you post up a pic of the plip?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:53   #9
davie27

Smile

nope it dont :@) mines black transparent plastic and you can see the batterys and internal guts though the case.its got a grey band through the centre of the fob and two small grey buttons.i,ll try and suss out how to send a piccy of it to show ya. :@)

Old 13-12-2007, 22:45   #10
Jaysif

Thanks for all your help guys

Um well im not really in a position to lash out 70-90 on a new one since im at college and have a part time job at the co op lol so as you can guess i never have much money XD

I seem to be able to find alot of cheapish ones on ebay, do you reckon i could get one of these to work? It just confuses me that i seem to have the only fob that doesnt have Lucas on it?

Old 13-12-2007, 22:58   #11
E_T_V

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
The Valeo infra red fobs aren't that uncommon. The missus car has them, or rather had them. The good news is that if the fob dies you can still use the key in the door, it'll disarm the immobilser anyway.

Get a rebuild kit for your fob if it works.(The case won't fit but the buttons and batteries should do). They have to be pointed inside the car, at the interior light, in order for them to work.
E_T_V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-12-2007, 06:42   #12
davie27

Talking

why at the interoir light? sorry im new to the world of rovers lol

Old 14-12-2007, 13:24   #13
Jaysif

Okey ill try getting a repair kit from ebay when i get some money. Thanks for all your help guys if it works ill let you know

Old 29-12-2007, 06:17   #14
pinhead

Send a message via MSN to pinhead
bought my 214 cab about a month back, after battery went the imobiliser started to work again, only thing is it wouldnt turn off, i found a company on the net who disabled the whole lot so i never have to worry about the thing again, cost me 57 with next day return postage and all i had to send was my security ecu. http://www.alarmremotes.co.uk/
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote