Let there be light!!! - Page 4 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 
 
 
Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Ask The Gurus! - Help and Advice Forums > MG/R Modification & Tuning

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 22:09   #61
Dave
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Peterborough
Car: MGZSTD - 150+bhp
Posts: 21,952
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
Yeah on my dials because there is only 3 bulbs, so it shines really brightly in those certain areas so i'm going to try the tippex idea.
Hopefully that should be problem solved.
I didn't remove any backing from the dials it seems to work fine, will post pictures tomorw.

Anyone know about the clock bulb?
Use the same bulb for the clock, as the rest of the small bulbs in the speedo housing (286)

You may need to shave a little from the bulb holder for it to fit the clock, but it will work.

I have just done my buttons just now, and looks great.

I going to try the tippex idea for the clock in the daylight.

Just the heater controls to do now!!

Cheers
Skelo
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2008, 22:19   #62
RedRoverJ
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South London
Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Posts: 1,016
Send a message via ICQ to RedRoverJ Send a message via AIM to RedRoverJ Send a message via MSN to RedRoverJ Send a message via Yahoo to RedRoverJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrib View Post
3 501's for the dails
1 intergated for the lcd clock
3 286's for the centre console
3 of the little leds bellow to fit into the switches

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=21m1#overview

you have to remove the switch, unscrew the bulb holder, unrap the wires and remove the led
Sorry mate what is meant by inegrated for the clock as mine is now pitch black
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 22:24   #63
Dave
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Peterborough
Car: MGZSTD - 150+bhp
Posts: 21,952
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
Sorry mate what is meant by inegrated for the clock as mine is now pitch black
Just get a 286 bulb (complete with the correct holder), and replace the clock bulb, as i have outlined above.

Cheers
Skelo
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 22:28   #64
RedRoverJ
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South London
Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Posts: 1,016
Send a message via ICQ to RedRoverJ Send a message via AIM to RedRoverJ Send a message via MSN to RedRoverJ Send a message via Yahoo to RedRoverJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelo View Post
Just get a 286 bulb (complete with the correct holder), and replace the clock bulb, as i have outlined above.

Cheers
Skelo
ok mate one more thing, what is the correct holder, I have about six wedge 286 bulbs but the bulb - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Blue-LED-T...QQcmdZViewItemI took out of the clock is capped according to the haynes manual and is really shallow if you know what i mean the bulbs I have are about 1 cm too long and are way too thin to fit the whole without falling into the clock casing...

Thanks everyone here is agreat help
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 22:34   #65
Dave
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Peterborough
Car: MGZSTD - 150+bhp
Posts: 21,952
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
ok mate one more thing, what is the correct holder, I have about six wedge 286 bulbs but the bulb - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Blue-LED-T...QQcmdZViewItemI took out of the clock is capped according to the haynes manual and is really shallow if you know what i mean the bulbs I have are about 1 cm too long and are way too thin to fit the whole without falling into the clock casing...

Thanks everyone here is agreat help
I bought these for the clock and the milometer on my R25 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=014

Just need to put a dab of tippex on the end of them, to avoid the 'hotspot'.

The ones you have found, are the wrong ones.

Cheers
Skelo
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 22:50   #66
RedRoverJ
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South London
Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Posts: 1,016
Send a message via ICQ to RedRoverJ Send a message via AIM to RedRoverJ Send a message via MSN to RedRoverJ Send a message via Yahoo to RedRoverJ
Cheers Skelo u now are my main man lol

it is my first car n all the rest so forgive me if i seem naive
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2008, 22:52   #67
Dave
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Peterborough
Car: MGZSTD - 150+bhp
Posts: 21,952
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
Cheers Skelo u now are my main man lol

it is my first car n all the rest so forgive me if i seem naive
No worries mate, its what the forum is all about

Cheers
Skelo
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 14:52   #68
Rover_214_16V
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Staffs
Car: 59 plate Ford Fiesta
Posts: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelo View Post
I bought these for the clock and the milometer on my R25 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=014

Just need to put a dab of tippex on the end of them, to avoid the 'hotspot'.

The ones you have found, are the wrong ones.

Cheers
Skelo
What Voltage do these have?

Mine are normal bulbs 12v 5w... Can you get any more, which are brighter?

I don't want to fiddle around with the mesh on the back... Do you wet and dry paper it?

What did you do?
Rover_214_16V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 15:16   #69
RedRoverJ
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South London
Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Posts: 1,016
Send a message via ICQ to RedRoverJ Send a message via AIM to RedRoverJ Send a message via MSN to RedRoverJ Send a message via Yahoo to RedRoverJ
I'm gonna go and see what kind of affect the tippex has to my instrument panel bulbs and i'll get back to you guys...
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 15:18   #70
Dave
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Peterborough
Car: MGZSTD - 150+bhp
Posts: 21,952
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover_214_16V View Post
What Voltage do these have?

Mine are normal bulbs 12v 5w... Can you get any more, which are brighter?

I don't want to fiddle around with the mesh on the back... Do you wet and dry paper it?

What did you do?
No idea on voltage/wattage.

Dunno about being able to get any brighter.

I changed the clock bulb for a led that i soldered, still got the brightspot tho.

Just changed the switches last night, and have just finished the heater controls. Will take a pic when it is dark, to see how it looks.

Cheers
Skelo
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 17:00   #71
Dave
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Peterborough
Car: MGZSTD - 150+bhp
Posts: 21,952
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Couple of updated pics




I've done the heater controls, just not really bright enough, need to look for some brighter bulbs i think.

It's getting there tho

Cheers
Skelo
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 20:18   #72
Rover_214_16V
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Staffs
Car: 59 plate Ford Fiesta
Posts: 3,666
nice one !!

You know on your dashboard dials... There is an "orange film" on the other side of the dial.
  • Have you removed this?
  • How?
With mine, its like a black square mesh.

My bulbs are not at all bright enough to view during the day/dusk. Can only really notice them when its dark, and then its still a whitey/orangy/bluey glow...

Not 100% happy yet, Got any ideas?

Might try those LEDS in the link posted previously.
Rover_214_16V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 21:51   #73
Dave
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Peterborough
Car: MGZSTD - 150+bhp
Posts: 21,952
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover_214_16V View Post
nice one !!

You know on your dashboard dials... There is an "orange film" on the other side of the dial.
  • Have you removed this?
  • How?
With mine, its like a black square mesh.

My bulbs are not at all bright enough to view during the day/dusk. Can only really notice them when its dark, and then its still a whitey/orangy/bluey glow...

Not 100% happy yet, Got any ideas?

Might try those LEDS in the link posted previously.
With mine being the R25, my speedo is the digital one, so is probably made up a bit differently.

I had mine apart earlier, but wasn't prepared to unscrew the dials themselves, as i don't fancy popping off the needles.

My bulbs a viewable from around dusk onwards (on the speedo dash), and i don't find them a problem.

Might find some LED 501 bulbs, rather than normal filiment 501's. May offer more light, than the filiment ones i have got in at the moment.

Think i'll be looking for some 5mm leds to do the heater controls, and try to find the brightest possible.

Its all a case of trial and error, to find the best combination of LEDs to use.

I like the switches tho, its the first time i have soldered anything so delicate.

Cheers
Skelo
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 22:12   #74
Rover_214_16V
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Staffs
Car: 59 plate Ford Fiesta
Posts: 3,666
Yes mate, could be different due to model..

I'll buy some leds... and try them, and post pics up of the dials..

I don't fancy breaking needles either
Rover_214_16V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2008, 23:37   #75
Dave
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Peterborough
Car: MGZSTD - 150+bhp
Posts: 21,952
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover_214_16V View Post
Yes mate, could be different due to model..

I'll buy some leds... and try them, and post pics up of the dials..

I don't fancy breaking needles either
Any news?

Cheers
Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 08:32   #76
dynamis_dk
Registered User
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Barnsley, UK
Car: 2001 Rover 25, Silver
Posts: 843
Did you just do a straight swap for the heat controls??

That next on my list to complete my 'blue' look...
dynamis_dk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 09:39   #77
Dave
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Peterborough
Car: MGZSTD - 150+bhp
Posts: 21,952
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamis_dk View Post
Did you just do a straight swap for the heat controls??

That next on my list to complete my 'blue' look...
I've actually got one led bulb, and one led i made up from the leds for the switches. Think i need to get some proper led bulbs.

Cheers
Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 16:28   #78
LeRich
Supporter
 
LeRich's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Congleton
Car: MG ZT+ CDTi 135 auto
Posts: 8,836
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Fair play Dave - that looks fab, if a little chilly!

Were there any issues using the LEDs in the buttons at all, as I'm thinking of doing the same but in red?
LeRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 16:43   #79
Dave
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Peterborough
Car: MGZSTD - 150+bhp
Posts: 21,952
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlxs View Post
Fair play Dave - that looks fab, if a little chilly!

Were there any issues using the LEDs in the buttons at all, as I'm thinking of doing the same but in red?
No issues at all, just followed the guide that another kind member put up in here to the letter.

Remarkably easy to be honest.

I had to bodge the foglight switch slightly, as i damaged the bulb holder a little. Ended up getting it to work in the end tho.

Let us see the results when you've done it

Cheers
Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 17:24   #80
Miky060
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ITALY
Car: MG ZR TD@160CV + Rover 200SDi
Posts: 831
Send a message via MSN to Miky060
@Dave
really nice work! It's really beautifull. Can you tell me which leds and which resistors you used for buttons? A link where to buy would be good.

I have read somewhere that ultraleds sells 3mmm leds with resistors already soldered, but I can't find them.
Miky060 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd brake light/ Tail Light for mgzr/25 spoiler gordy_b Wanted 0 15-09-2008 21:40
Interior light/door warning light on all the time Morganza Rover 600 10 25-05-2008 16:30
fitting mgf light, wont come on with interior light DavesRover214 MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise 31 01-05-2008 20:20
fog light wiring loom and button, and light bezels BERTMAN Wanted 0 10-01-2007 13:57
Hand brake light and ABS light problem on my new 25..any suggestions please? bazza001 MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise 3 09-04-2005 17:19


All times are GMT. The time now is 13:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ShowCase, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.