SYNERGY 2 saga - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Ask The Gurus! - Help and Advice Forums > Diesel Forum! > Rover_Ron's Diesel Tuning Forum

Old 28-02-2008, 19:59   #1
erikstawicki

Car: 2001 BMW 320d auto
SYNERGY 2 saga

hi, my name is erik, i'm new to this forum and this is my fist post. my objective is to share the record of good and bad of this chip and to receive wise, correct advice from others. i own a "51" BMW 320d auto and not too long ago i bought the synergy 2 tuning box from ron (owner of this forum). my car has no other engine mods but this chip. i did lots of research on the internet about which diesel tunning chip to buy, my criteria being performance vs. money. i chose synergy 2 based on the above and the fact that my car has 145k km, so i thought it may need the maf function which synergy 2 chip has but other chips do not have. so i installed it(relatively easy to do, although connectors are not original)and gave it a go. at the time of purchase i talked to ron and we agreed that the setting of 3 would be most appropriate for my driving needs since i live in london with maf section on. right away i noticed a very noticable improvement in torque and responsivness, however car smoked at all times. as soon as throtle was depressed smoke would shoot out of exhaust pipe. i turned the maf section off, kept power section on setting 3 and smoke disappeared, however the torque gains went with it. car felt almost stock. i turned maf back on just to judge power gains/losses; smoke came back. i turned all off just to see how the car would behave and everything went back to normal. that was good. i called ron to discuss options. he recomended maf on, setting 10 or reprograming of the chip. smoke appears when the engine is over fuelled, so the injection maps can be adjusted in order to reduce fuel delivery. so i changed to maf on, power setting 10. it's not as "nice" as maf on, power setting 3 + smoke, less power/torque, longer reaction time between depression of the throtle and car acceleration and when the throtle is substantialy depressed smoke still shoots out. so i called ron again. to be continued.................

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 09:26   #2
Rover_ron

Car: Other Manufacturer
Hi Erik,

Welcome to the forum.

If you've read the BMW pages on my website you'll see that Jarle, the Norwegian BMW 320D tourer owner also experienced smoke with a Synergy 2 fitted.

He fitted an EGR bypass and this made a big difference. (search for Wingy777 on Ebay)

I would also recommend changing the PCV valve because this can also affect the smoke and its now a BMW service item.
If you can't get hold of an egr bypass, at least clean it.

It may also be worthwhile fitting a performance air filter such as a BMC, K&N etc.
The idea being to reduce the smoke by getting more air in, rather than reducing the fuelling by reprogramming the Synergy.

If all else fails, I can still do this.

Ron

Old 06-03-2008, 13:02   #3
erikstawicki

SYNERGY 2 saga con't

so here I am again, long overdue with the news since I did the testing almost a week ago. last week I received the Pierburg maf sensor form Ron but did not have the time to fit it in. so finaly I found time, put in the Pierburg maf set synergy unit to setting 6, maf on and went on a trip to southend on sea. so part of the route was through city and lots of highway. good testing mix. as i set off, again black smoke from pipe. drove for a while to see if maybe it would stop, but no. well, stopped car, switched to setting 5, maf on, same story, black smoke. stopped the car, switched to setting 4, maf on, same story, black smoke. between switch one and two, I turned off the unit so see if car would go back to normal and it does, so obviously synergy is not harming car, . well then, smoke all around. I turned off the maf section again and use setting 10, maf off. No smoke. Some comes out under semi-hard acceleration. Power gains are so-so. Its better with the pierburg sensor than with the original bosh sensor. I notice that at speed obove 70 car still has some/more pull, enough to pass in the last gear. (BUT I WANT MORE, MUCH MORE) as before it did not have much pull at all, barely enough to pass, in the last gear. which is pure rubbish on the part of bmw, this engine is capable of much more than factory settings. anyway, i have to say that so far nothing beat, power wise, the 1st setting I ever tried which was original bosh maf sensor, setting 3, maf on, and black smoke comming out, lol. conclusion is that synergy is capable of giving me more usable power, but I just have to get rid of the smoke. so now ron replied to my thread and introduced a valid idea, it being that i should try to get more air into the engine and not to try to reprogram the chip (although he would do it, for free i assume, lol, if i insisted). the amateur that i am, lol, i happen to agree. a aftermarket air filter is a cheap source of horse power. i was looking for one before but i could not find any suitable for my car. perhaps I looked in all the wrong places. so i think this is my next step, just to get a aftermarket air filter from K&N or like manufacturer. cleaning the egr bypass might help, ron said. i will try that also. so stay tuned for more.................................

hi ron. this section is for you. when i was changing the mass air meter, bosh to pierburg, i looked inside the sensor housing closely. its nice and clean it there. thats good of course. i'm not sure that my egr pipe is dirty but i will check. only if you can point it out for me please. as to the air filter, i was looking for the housing of it. i think i found it, but its down inside the engine bay and i think i would have a problem getting in that deep. again i will check this out. for now my next step is research how to do the above mentioned. if you could send me any details/pictures regarding filter/egr bypass, i would greatly appreciate it. thanx

Old 12-03-2008, 16:05   #4
erikstawicki

SYNERGY 2 saga cont.

well, here we go again, i received a K&N air filter yesterday, got it off e-bay at 39 quid + postage and it arrived in 2 days time, very nice. so today i wanted to install it so i took off the engine cover and after looking and looking i could not find the airbox. now i know that its not that easy to get to it. some other parts have to come off first. microparticle filter box for example. again, i drive 51 bmw 320d se auto. if anyone has more detailed information on how to change the air filter in my beemer, i welcome proper advice, please write on the forum or e-mail me. thanx.

Old 16-03-2008, 18:30   #5
erikstawicki

SYNERGY 2 saga cont.

well here i am again, sorry to say that i have made no progress in unlocking my cars true potential. this is mainly due to the weather which is not to my liking, it demotivates me. plus i don't have the tools to take off all the stuff that needs to come off and i still do not know how to do this job of installing the new k&n air filter, which brings me to a good point, i do notice that the count of people who read this thread is going up, and nobody has left me any responses to my writings. am i not talented enough?? anyway, i do welcome all responses, good and bad, and someone please send me some information on how to change the air filter in a bmw. thanx.

Old 16-03-2008, 18:48   #6
p_b82

Car: ZS+ 170TD
You may get more response from a BMW forum as this is techncially a Rover forum, while the share the same engine in the 75, there maybe some differnces so people might not wish to give advice they can't verify will be correct...

If you have haynes book of lies it should tell you where to look... (if you dont have one can always pop into halfrauds and borrow one till you know where to look

Old 16-03-2008, 19:47   #7
Rover_ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikstawicki View Post
well here i am again, sorry to say that i have made no progress in unlocking my cars true potential. this is mainly due to the weather which is not to my liking, it demotivates me. plus i don't have the tools to take off all the stuff that needs to come off and i still do not know how to do this job of installing the new k&n air filter, which brings me to a good point, i do notice that the count of people who read this thread is going up, and nobody has left me any responses to my writings. am i not talented enough?? anyway, i do welcome all responses, good and bad, and someone please send me some information on how to change the air filter in a bmw. thanx.
Hi Eric,
The airfilter is under the cover which is to the rear of the oil filler cap.
I should have included a long 5mm Allen (hex) key with the Synergy 2. This is for undoing the 5 screws which hold the cover one. Three along the top edge and one each end (front and back) on the far side, lower down.

You can see the airfilter in the right hand photo here:

http://tuning-diesels.com/BMW/bmw.htm

This page will also covers the experiences of a 320d owner with a Synergy 2and how he cured the smoke with an egr bypass pipe.
(shown in another photo and available off ebay seller wingy777.)

Ron

Old 18-03-2008, 18:45   #8
Ti Rich

Car: BMW 330d M-Sport
Dear Eric

I think the solution to your problem is an EGR by-pass and a new PCV filter. With these fitted I doubt that you will have any smoke at all even with the MAF section on.

You have to remember that getting more power needs more fuel (which the Synergy does) but also more air. I would not fit a K+N filter yet - just make sure the one you have is clean. Then fit the PCV valve - it's the next cheapest thing. Then if you still have smoke go for the EGR by-pass.

Try things in this order and come back to us.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:42   #9
erikstawicki

SYNERGY 2 saga cont.

hello, long time no write, this will be my last post since i feel that my experiments with synergy tuning box are over with. i had it for some time, months, and now i can answer the questions which i set out to answer at the beggining of this experiment. is this chip a good chip and is it worth the money? YES and YES. chip works just fine, you do have to find the appropriate setting, otherwise you might get smoke. also the pierburg sensor works better with this box than the bosh sensor. i settled on setting 10 , maf off, and pierburg sensor. this probably gets me 20 hp more than stock. not 30 as expected. some other boxes offer 30hp more or 33% increase in hp but they are much more expensive and who knows if i would get the promised ammount anyway. my bmw fuel computer says that i burn 6.7 l/100km in town, and i drive in S mode all the time, so something is wrong there. too optimistic. but nonetheless, fuel economy has improved. one other thing, if your mass air sensor is good do not the synergy 2 but get the 1st synergy model. its cheaper. my bmw is a 51 plate and the mass air sensor was in very good condition. i'm not sure if its not better anyhow just to replace the bad maf instead of getting the synergy 2, since a bad maf sensor will get worse and eventually synergy 2 will not be able to compensate for it anylonger. those are details and all prospective buyers will have to discuss them with ron. again, generally speaking i do recomend synergy 2. so buy for now and happy motoring. erik.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:53   #10
Rover_ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikstawicki View Post
... generally speaking i do recomend synergy 2. so buy for now and happy motoring. erik.
Thanks for that update Erik. I am selling a lot to BMW owners and they seem to like the Synergy 1 and 2 (who doesn't!)

Many companies make 'optimistic' claims as most owners never do before and after dyno testing so they go unchallenged.

When I started making the Synergy, most companies were quoting 140 or 145bhp for their modules on a 75. But as soon as I started competing and had charts showing 145bhp, almost overnight their figures went up to 150bhp!
Also, I am not interested in sqeezing every last bhp out of an engine and nor are my customers.

If you wanted to go further then a mild remap + a Synergy is the way to go. Neither one nor the other alone can equal this combination.

Did you fit an egr bypass?

Ron