MGF Clutch problems - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ)

Old 02-03-2008, 22:56   #1
medcabnath

Car: MGF
Thumbs down MGF Clutch problems

I have a 98/S MGF.

This past week gear changing has become increasingly difficult. Initially i could get my car into gear with a bit of effort and once driving the problem seemed to be resolved.

It then progressed to not being able to get the car into 1st, so i have been pulling away in 2nd.

Throughout the week this problem has progressed further to not being able to change down gears at junctions, and then to simply not being able to get into gear so it was pot luck as to what gear i had to use in order to progress my journey.

Now it is practically impossible to get the car in gear full stop, rendering driving nigh-on impossible - it is sometimes difficult to get it out of gear too.

When driving transmission is okay.
When stationary and not on it is very easy to place the gear stick into any gear.

Naturally i have resolved not to drive it any more until the problem gets fixed, although i am concerned this past week may have caused further damage?

I am not a mechanic and wouldn't feel confident trying to sort this problem myself but i am keen to get some good advice on what this problem might be.

I need to make a conservative estimate on how much this problem might cost to resolve.

i was in the process of trading/selling my car and need to try and estimate if it'd be better for me to fix the before continuing, or if i should cut my losses and take a knocj on the trade price without resolving the mechanical problems.

Finally, if anybody can recommend a good garage in the Stroud (Gloucester) area, that'd be great.

thanks, N
medcabnath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 11:21   #2
MGF HEAVEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by medcabnath View Post
I have a 98/S MGF.

This past week gear changing has become increasingly difficult. Initially i could get my car into gear with a bit of effort and once driving the problem seemed to be resolved.

It then progressed to not being able to get the car into 1st, so i have been pulling away in 2nd.

Throughout the week this problem has progressed further to not being able to change down gears at junctions, and then to simply not being able to get into gear so it was pot luck as to what gear i had to use in order to progress my journey.

Now it is practically impossible to get the car in gear full stop, rendering driving nigh-on impossible - it is sometimes difficult to get it out of gear too.

When driving transmission is okay.
When stationary and not on it is very easy to place the gear stick into any gear.

Naturally i have resolved not to drive it any more until the problem gets fixed, although i am concerned this past week may have caused further damage?

I am not a mechanic and wouldn't feel confident trying to sort this problem myself but i am keen to get some good advice on what this problem might be.

I need to make a conservative estimate on how much this problem might cost to resolve.

i was in the process of trading/selling my car and need to try and estimate if it'd be better for me to fix the before continuing, or if i should cut my losses and take a knocj on the trade price without resolving the mechanical problems.

Finally, if anybody can recommend a good garage in the Stroud (Gloucester) area, that'd be great.

thanks, N
Might not be that expensive,could be the slave cylinder.
If you want give me a call,when your by the car and I will help you eliminate a few things.
Regards
Steve 07766 014017
MGF HEAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 10:19   #3
FishkieNpt

Send a message via MSN to FishkieNpt
Thumbs up Needs help too

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvc steve View Post
Might not be that expensive,could be the slave cylinder.
If you want give me a call,when your by the car and I will help you eliminate a few things.
Regards
Steve 07766 014017
Hey Steve. Im having the same probs any chance you can do the same with me mate?
Ive had nothing but trouble with my MGF yet i keep getting it fixed and not getting rid (as if siad i would enuf times)
Ps i just bouth a front end bush kit and noticed the locking wheel nut is missing!! It had a full service at an Natautocentre in July and ive only just noticed! They are the kind that you cant get a socket over the top because ov the wheel clearance.
Anyway if u got any ideas msg me and i can pick your brains.
Thanx mate.
FishkieNpt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 10:20   #4
FishkieNpt

Send a message via MSN to FishkieNpt
pps

You can mail me at ringlandboy@hotmail.com
FishkieNpt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message