Best place to mount a rear reverse camera on the MGF? - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ)

Old 20-03-2008, 15:53   #1
nk8

Car: MGF
Send a message via MSN to nk8
Best place to mount a rear reverse camera on the MGF?

Bought meself a rear camera from Costco for 50 quid, am finding it hard to find a suitable place to mount it though, I thought it would fit in the bootlid brake gap as my boot doesn't have the brake light built in, just the filling in the space instead, I took that out and tried to put the camera there but it was just slightly larger, I don't want to put it on the rear part below the boot lid as if someone goes into the back of me in a car park or something, then the camera gets obliterated as it'd be sticking out, I could mount it onto the registration plate but it might slightly obscure the registration and then further problems etc, any ideas?
nk8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-03-2008, 15:59   #2
simon-g

Car: BMW M5 & MG ZS 180
Send a message via MSN to simon-g
I think someone on here(CJJ?) has one fitted in the rear boot lock opening...
simon-g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-03-2008, 16:20   #3
nk8

Also I was wondering can it be wired in a way that it is constantly on, it's a wireless camera which feeds to the monitor on the dash, but I would prefer the camera was either constantly on (when electrics activated) or through some sort of switch box so I can choose from the dash when to feed power to the camera, the manual says it recommends wiring to the reverse lights, thus power is fed to the camera when you put it into reverse gear, but I prefer to see what I've run over without needing to put it into reverse, the only thing I could think of, is it wire it to the first set of lights? (the one you put on in poor conditions but not dipped (very poor/night time), or full beam... dunno what it's called).

Old 20-03-2008, 17:13   #4
CJJ
Supporter

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 640, Kangoo Van, Freelander
Depends on the size of the camera. As mentioned, I've fitted mine where the bootlock goes and fitted a remote bootlock.

If you want the camera on when you want it then just take a 12v supply (through a suitable fuse), through a spare switch (maybe one on the fogs etc switch panel) to the camera. This way whenever the switch is on the camera will be on.

Have a look here
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthrea...ghlight=camera

Old 20-03-2008, 21:07   #5
davidj

Car: SAIC MG6 & Phoenix MG TF
Put the hood down, the view behind is Panoramic
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-03-2008, 22:53   #6
nk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
Depends on the size of the camera. As mentioned, I've fitted mine where the bootlock goes and fitted a remote bootlock.
Mine won't fit there, its too big, heres a picture of it...

http://www.nkphotos.co.uk/temp/reversecamera.JPG

it is 21 cm across, and 3 cm high, originally designed to mount onto the registration plate but i think that will cause an obstruction in mine....

the camera bit itself, in the middle of it, is 5 cm across by 3 cm high and about 3-4 cm deep (tis a wireless camera)

the only places i can actually think of, is rear plate if i get a new reg plate printed but just slgihtly larger...

just below the bootlid but if someone goes into the back of me at a supermarket or something, the camera gets broke

on the lower part of the bootlid, same thing, rear impact will destroy the camera...

i could try cutting a larger hole in the space of where the boot lid brake light would go if i had one... but that'd be one large job i reckon as its funyn shaped (the camera and mount arms its attached to as seen in picture)

Old 20-03-2008, 23:02   #7
CJJ
Supporter

If I were you I would just go for mounting it on the numberplate. that is it's design. Anything else is going to require a lot of rework on the camera and the car.

Old 20-03-2008, 23:36   #8
nk8

yep, alright, i will try and dummy fit it on tomorrow to the reg plate, will see how much it obscures the registration itself. then i think its just a matter of drilling to feed the wires into the rear wire loom.

what available options do i have to connect this camera to in terms of live feeds?

indicators, rear driving lights, fog lights, brake light, reverse light,

which would be more suitable for a more permenant feed? i.e. when ignition is on? i think from what you mentioned above, was to hook it up to the fog light? would that not mean the dipped headlights would have to be on before the fog light is able to work?

Old 20-03-2008, 23:46   #9
CJJ
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk8 View Post
which would be more suitable for a more permenant feed? i.e. when ignition is on? i think from what you mentioned above, was to hook it up to the fog light? would that not mean the dipped headlights would have to be on before the fog light is able to work?

Ah, no, sorry, I think you missunderstood me. What I was suggesting was getting an extra switch that matches the fog light switches, just to make it look nice.

You would have to take a live feed from the battery, or from an ignition circuit, such as the radio supply. Ignition would be better as you may leave the camera switched on otherwise and flatten the battery.

Feed the supply through your switch, along under the center tunnel, up behind the seats and out to the engine bay/boot through one of the grommets.

Old 21-03-2008, 00:07   #10
nk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post

You would have to take a live feed from the battery, or from an ignition circuit, such as the radio supply. Ignition would be better as you may leave the camera switched on otherwise and flatten the battery.

Feed the supply through your switch, along under the center tunnel, up behind the seats and out to the engine bay/boot through one of the grommets.
Alright, yeah, I misunderstood.

Is it easy to take a live feed from the ignition circuit? I'm taking it to a local auto electrician I've used for a few years, will he find it easy to do?

The switch idea sounds goods! where could I get one from?

What's the center tunnel? is it the thing I see when I lift up the compartment under the arm rest? where the coolant pipes which get really hot and heat up things inside that compartment are, and handbrake stuff

Old 21-03-2008, 09:42   #11
CJJ
Supporter

An electrician should have no probs. He might find it easier running the cable down the passsenger side, under the carpet, a quicker solution.
The tunnel is the bit with the handbrake on, well that's what I call it. The coolant pipes are on the outside of the car. I got a spare switch of e-bay, but you can probably get them from an x-part garage (ex rover). You can use any switch, it is up to you, I just like things to look as though they were meant to be there.

Old 21-03-2008, 10:59   #12
nk8

is ebay item number 270219603799 the right one?

postage is a little extortionate to say the least...

Old 23-03-2008, 00:10   #13
nk8

Okay, the camera is designed to mount onto the registration plate, however if I put it at the very bottom, it obscures the plate a little, the very bottom part only, this will more than likely get me pulled over for I am sure, is there anywhere else people could recommend me place the camera?

Old 23-03-2008, 08:24   #14
Dr Dave
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
Crikey! Reverse camera on an MGF/TF??? It's not a big car, what would you be like if you jumped into a truck!?

Old 23-03-2008, 08:27   #15
CJJ
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Crikey! Reverse camera on an MGF/TF??? It's not a big car, what would you be like if you jumped into a truck!?
Hardly ever use mine, but it is handy when I have the weekend case on when touring. Caravan causes a blindspot though.

Old 23-03-2008, 19:57   #16
nk8

here are three places where i can place the camera on the registration plate, i am worried of the slight obstruction on the letter B if it goes into the middle, although the only documentation I can find is that the plate must not be obscured of visibility from a view of 20 meters i think it is...

http://www.nkphotos.co.uk/temp/middlemount.jpg

but otherwise i can cut off the side bits attached to the camera which hold it to the plate, and stick it with some 3M to the reg plate at the side, the below pictures show the two ends still attached as they haven't been cut off...

http://www.nkphotos.co.uk/temp/leftsidemount.jpg
http://www.nkphotos.co.uk/temp/rightsidemount.jpg

the last resort is to bolt it into the boot lid... though that'd mean three holes in the boot lid...

opinions?