Dim Headlights - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ)

Old 11-04-2008, 18:22   #1
Villager

Car: ZT 1.8T 187 bhp
Dim Headlights

I have replaced my old bulbs with Phillips +50% jobbies, but they've hardly made any difference. I can't drive much above 40mph on unlit roads without full beam because I can only see a few feet in front of the car.

Is this the best I'm going to get without splashing out for the borderline illegal types? Could it be that they are simply angled too low?
Villager is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 18:29   #2
bmouthrob

Car: MGF
My bulbs have always seemed very dim in the F as well... Be interested to see if anyone has any suggestions!
bmouthrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 18:41   #3
Bromsgrove man

Car: MGF VVC 75th Anniversary LE
Mine aren't that much better, but again they are nearly 9 years old so could be age. From what I've read though, the F lights are generally quite poor.

I do alot of driving on unlit roads too and I'm glad the light nights are coming.
Bromsgrove man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 18:48   #4
SHARKYMGF

Car: TF160, ZT260
Send a message via MSN to SHARKYMGF
Quite a common problem on F headlights is the headlight inner chrome bowl deteriorating over time and becoming dull, which reduces the headlights output.
The fix is either to replace the whole headlight or to take them apart and get the inner bowls re-chromed, which I believe costs around 70-80.

Bit more on the subject here.
SHARKYMGF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 18:57   #5
MGFmad
Never forgotten

Car: Astra CDX auto, Freelander TD4 & Freelander 1.8, Mini One
Send a message via MSN to MGFmad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager View Post
I have replaced my old bulbs with Phillips +50% jobbies, but they've hardly made any difference. I can't drive much above 40mph on unlit roads without full beam because I can only see a few feet in front of the car.

Is this the best I'm going to get without splashing out for the borderline illegal types? Could it be that they are simply angled too low?
That's a shame, I got good results from fitting the Philips bulbs.

I might re-chrome the reflectors yet though, my N/S light does not have a destinctive beam pattern so the olf reflector could be deteriorating a bit.
MGFmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 18:57   #6
Jon Norris

Car: MGF (Rough Luck) 1.9 supercharged K-series VVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKYMGF View Post
Quite a common problem on F headlights is the headlight inner chrome bowl deteriorating over time and becoming dull, which reduces the headlights output.
The fix is either to replace the whole headlight or to take them apart and get the inner bowls re-chromed, which I believe costs around 70-80.

Bit more on the subject here.
I had mine fail on one head light for its MOT so replaced them with trophy ones, they are a little better but not much, then I tried 100w ones, yeah I know they are illegal so I dipped them to compensate, anyway they didn't work for long both bulbs got shaken to death within 2 weeks, it seems the higher wattage the more fragile they are so I'm down to 80w again .......so far so good
Jon Norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 19:17   #7
Mark.L

Car: Honda S2000
When I had my first 'F' I always found reversing everywhere at night improved visability...
Mark.L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 19:44   #8
niknak

Car: 1998 S reg MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.L View Post
When I had my first 'F' I always found reversing everywhere at night improved visability...

Lol...!!!!
niknak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 20:07   #9
Aiketgate

Car: MGF mk2 Freestyle 1.8mpi 16" wheels
I'm surprised that you're still struggling with those bulbs fitted. I too had great success with the +50 philips bulbs. At the same time I found that the headlights were very badly adjusted ( both pointed down and to the centre of the road). Try yours against a flat surface -wall/garage door. If they've got a good pattern i.e. each dip shows a clear horizontal cutoff on the right hand half of the beam, then reverse away from the flat surface in a straight line, watching the junction between the right and left half of each beam- the junctions should stay the same distance apart( basically the distance between your two headlights), but should drop down the wall as you reverse away from it, but not too quickly.
The proper adjustment also made a big difference to my nighttime visibility as well. So much so that I can say that I have good headlights now, both on dip and main beam.
If your beam pattern is bright but does not show a good cutoff pattern, it could be the glass internal lens is mucky/fogged. Take the lamp to pieces and clean the glass lens.
If it's just that the light output is poor it could be that the reflector has dechromed as mentioned in a previous post.
David
p.s hope that makes sense.
Aiketgate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2008, 11:08   #10
WigglePig

Location: Over there...no, not there...THERE...yes, that's it.
Car: MG TF 1.8(135) Trophy Yellow (ooo, it's bright!) 2004
Hi,

HAve you tried taking off your sunglasses?

Just a thought.

Tra

Meh
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote