MGF Tiptronic fault - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ)

Old 29-04-2008, 23:24   #1
freelanderheads

Car: Rover P6
Smile MGF Tiptronic fault

Hi guys was looking for a little help with the automatic tiptronic gearbox on the mgf 1.8VVC

basically it works fine for about 30 mins then the gearbox decides it cant make its mind up about which gear to stay it and changes down harshly. i have checked the fault code and i was getting a fault with the camshaft position sensor malfunction. i cannot replicate the fault or the fault code now. is the gearbox hooked upto the camshaft sensor on these cars or not or is this a common problem. did no of a connector problem on the discos underneath the expansion tank. not sure if its the same on these.

hope you guys can help

Daniel Keer-Keer
freelanderheads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-04-2008, 11:18   #2
TipperMG

Car: 04 TF Steppie and 'Project' 03 TF160 Sprint 'still in bits!' BMW E91 320D
Are you sure it's a VVC?
I thought stepspeed was only fitted to the standard engine as the gearbox can't take the VVC power!
TipperMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 30-04-2008, 12:07   #3
Neil Courtney

Car: Trophy Yellow MG TF120, '75 Jubilee MGB GT
Absolutly only a 1.8i 120ps engine. When was the oil last changed? It should be changed every two years and using the oil as recomended in the manual, not a normal auto gearbox oil.
Neil Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 30-04-2008, 13:39   #4
Scarlet Fever

Car: MGF
First up all automatic MGF / TFs are 1.8 MPi models, there are no VVCs as the gearbox is said to be at the upper torque limit already on the MPi engine.

Next, with my pedantic hat on...
If it is an F, generally it is called a STEPTRONIC, if it is a TF then it is a STEPSPEED. Steptronic as a trade name was retained by BMW when they sold the company off, this means that MG Rover had to change the name - even though it is essentially the same system. As it took some time for MG Rover to launch the TF, there are some late model MY2K Fs with Stepspeed transmissions, but most of them are called Steptronic. Not sure, but i thought Tiptronic was the Porsche system?

As to the problem, i'm not sure - would need to do some research i think as i have very limited experience of the system. Can anyone else help?
Scarlet Fever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 30-04-2008, 13:46   #5
adamelphick

Car: 1998 MGF 1.8i Nightfire with TF Front, 2004 1.6 Sunstorm & 1998 Range Rover HSE Auto
Send a message via MSN to adamelphick
Thinking logically - if the oil hasn't been changed (assuming it hasn't) then I would start there. The fault seems to happen after a good warm up, and it's well known oil thins considerably after it's warm.... especially in the harsh environment of an auto box!

I'd try that first.. but make sure its the right one as said previously.
adamelphick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message