Rover 75 CD Changer harness installation - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros)

Old 29-05-2008, 09:04   #1
tenminnit

Car: Rover 75
Question Rover 75 CD Changer harness installation

My 2001 Rover 75 has a factory installed Symphony radio but not wired for CD changer. I have withdrawn the unit to confirm from the Iso pinouts at the rear.
I have obtained the changer harness VUL100330.
It is obvious where the Iso connections go and easy to identify the changer connection.
Where is the 16 pin socket that the harness plugs into to connect to the main loom? What has to be stripped out to access it?
Any tips would be appreciated !
tenminnit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-05-2008, 09:36   #2
TRob

Car: MG ZTT
[quote=.
Where is the 16 pin socket that the harness plugs into to connect to the main loom? What has to be stripped out to access it?
Any tips would be appreciated ![/quote]

Hi, My connector was found right down near the transmission tunnel, had to remove the climate control unit, cup holder,ashtray/lighter unit and then, unsighted, stick my hand down the back and fish around 'till I got the right one. Look at the connector on the end of the harness you have to work out how to clip and unclip 'cause you have to do it one handed. Watch out for sharp edges!! and have some plasters ready!!
Good luck, cheers Rob
TRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-05-2008, 09:46   #3
tenminnit

Is the socket currently used? Do I have to unplug anything before I can plug the harness in? Any tips on removal of bits.( Going to boots today for plasters - more expense! )

Old 29-05-2008, 10:20   #4
TRob

Car: MG ZTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenminnit View Post
Is the socket currently used? Do I have to unplug anything before I can plug the harness in? Any tips on removal of bits.( Going to boots today for plasters - more expense! )
Well, I was changing from a Kenwood Head unit to a Symphony unit from SMC. With the new unit I recieved a connecting loom with a big black multipin BMW plug at one end and 2 or 3 ISO block connectors at the other end(these connected to the radio and a smaller black plug on an extension lead connected to the CD unit).
The BMW plug connects to the main loom, the wires that connect to the Symphony unit you have will have a BMW plug at their other end, find this junction and replace with the new loom you have.
Cheers.
TRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-05-2008, 12:16   #5
tenminnit

Thanks TRob for the info - I can never understand why it always difficult to fit aftermarket bits particularly in this instance when the large plug could have been made accessible by dropping the fuse box panel - it must be a couple inches away behind the centre consul panel.
I think the answer is to make the designers work on the stuff then maybe they would learn a bit more.