Rover 200 - Central Locking Relay - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise

Old 21-06-2008, 20:37   #1
fu manchu

Car: Classic Rover
Rover 200 - Central Locking Relay

My 'new' Rover 200 has a central locking problem. Basically key fob doesn't operate anything, and the central locking doesn't work with the key either. Alarm is fine. Having done a search it appears it could be the Drivers CL motor, and I have a spare for this. But basically I have checked the engine bay fuse, and want to check the relay before I change the motor. Don't want to go to all the trouble of changing the motor just to find out later it's the relay. But where is the CL relay? Can't find any info on it anywhere. Haynes manual refers to it but does not give a location.

Thanks in advance guys.
fu manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-2008, 20:55   #2
steely

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
you sure its got central locking fitted? is there a lock on the passenger door? if there is then your car doesnt have central locking fitted
steely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 21-06-2008, 21:34   #3
Sejin26

Car: Rover 75
As above and also there is no relay for the central locking.

99% of i models dont have central locking in them and all 8V's never left the factory with them. Most people install an after market kit.

50% of 16V i models have central locking if it was specced on the options list when the car was made.

If you have a diesel all SD models left the factory without central locking and very early SDi models too.
Sejin26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-06-2008, 16:16   #4
fu manchu

Car: Classic Rover
Thanks guys. Yes mine is a diesel, a 99 S reg SDi i believe, so it's a late one. There is a remote with it but this currently does nothing but work with the immobiliser. There is no lock on the passenger side.

Is there anyway of knowing whether the car has central locking then?
fu manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-06-2008, 16:18   #5
Skibbz214

Car: Rover 214i 16v BRG ;)
Do the indicators flash when you arm/disarm the alarm?
Skibbz214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-06-2008, 16:19   #6
Sejin26

Car: Rover 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibbz214 View Post
Do the indicators flash when you arm/disarm the alarm?
Should do on a car as late as that.

The only way would be to take the door card off and check the motor. I am 99% sure that a car as late as that would have it standard.

But the motors are quite expensive so if they break people dont change them.
Sejin26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-06-2008, 16:21   #7
Skibbz214

Car: Rover 214i 16v BRG ;)
BTW thanks for the PM Sejin, just got back from work so gona go give it a go

Love you x
Skibbz214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 18:25   #8
Shamaniac

Car: Rover 214i 8V
Hi,
Sorry for bumping this with my first post. I think my T reg (99) 8V 214i is suffering from the same problem as the OP's car. My 8V 214i came with factory fitted central locking (also has no lock on the passenger side).

The problem started with the central locking fuse blowing all the time. Then the power kept cutting out on the car. At times, it would just die for no reason when parked up. Sometimes, it would even cut out as I was driving along. It would sort itself out when I pushed the fuse box down. Having taken the fuse box off and cleaned up the connector blocks, the power cut out problem has been solved (and was probably a completely separate issue to the central locking problem). Then the boot wouldn't unlock at all - with the central locking or with the key (key wouldn't even turn in the lock). Copious amounts of WD40 sorted this out. The boot lock has always been a bit dodgy, mind - sometimes it would work with the central locking, sometimes not. Yesterday, the central locking packed up completely. Even using the key doesn't make the CL work. All doors have to be locked/unlocked individually. The boot stopped locking at the same time as the CL breakdown (but sorted that out today, as the lock mechanism was sticking). The CL fuse is fine. The alarm and immobiliser are working fine with the key fob. The wiring loom on the boot is fine.

So, what next? Attack the central locking motor in the driver's door? Having looked on Ebay, I see that all the doors have central locking motors. How can I be sure which one's given up the ghost? Any ideas?

Ta.

Last edited by Shamaniac; 10-10-2008 at 18:57.
Shamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 13-09-2009, 01:06   #9
cdcyborg

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Send a message via MSN to cdcyborg Send a message via Skype™ to cdcyborg
its not always the motor on the drivers door, all the motors are connected on a parallel circuit, not a ring circuit so even if the drivers door failed, the other would still work. i tested it yesterday
cdcyborg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message