How to make an MGB faster? - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > Others

Old 02-07-2008, 08:24   #1
kristianlow30

Car: Rover 200 Coupe
Exclamation How to make an MGB faster?

I'm quite keen on purchasing an MGB but how practical are they? would i be able to tootle to work everyday in the traffic - or would it break down every 5 mins! Also is it possible to squeeze more power out of the engine? How would you go about it other than replacing the air filters? Has anybody on the forum replaced an MGB engine for a relatively modern one? Any help appreciated....
kristianlow30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 13:08   #2
1955diesel
Never forgotten

Car: Other Manufacturer. Previously - more Rovers than I care to remember.
Like any old car, it is going to need quite a lot of attention to keep it in good order. However, there is no reason why a good one should not be fit for daily use.

I would not replace the original engine, it is quite robust and you can apply all the usual tuning methods of the day. It should respond well to a bit of head chamber and port work, a new cam and perhaps exhaust manifold. You might also consider fitting some valve seats so that it can run on unleaded without problems.

I've not read it, but this comes up on Google - http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen...tune_2003.html

My own preference would be to uprate the suspension a little too. The handling is a bit dated!
1955diesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-07-2008, 22:21   #3
Stevo135+

Car: Other Manufacturer
I don't know why i want to do it so much, but if i ever got an MGB to restore, then i have always wanted to put an O-series turbo lump in one! You'd get a 5speed box, coupled with a more modern OHC engine, that should be more reliable, but is still not too advanced or has too many electronics to either work on at home, or to spoil the character of the MGB. I expect that a std 150bhp/170ibft lump, would give sparkling performance in a BGT, and it's an easy path to 175-200bhp. Can't see how a B-series lump would ever compare for bhp and tuning potential vs cost.
Stevo135+ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26-07-2008, 11:57   #4
teadrinker

Car: Rover 75 Tourer Con SE auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianlow30 View Post
I'm quite keen on purchasing an MGB but how practical are they? would i be able to tootle to work everyday in the traffic - or would it break down every 5 mins! Also is it possible to squeeze more power out of the engine? How would you go about it other than replacing the air filters? Has anybody on the forum replaced an MGB engine for a relatively modern one? Any help appreciated....
First answer, yes, they can be very practical, the GT especially so. The beauty of them is the simplicity, no fancy electronics or computers to break!

I owned a GT for many years as my everyday transport, never let me down through rain and shine. I still own a 1974 MGB roadster, rarely used nowadays unfortunately because of various reasons, but it still starts everytime and still has that certain sparkle, and after owning for over 20years find it hard to part!

The modifications I have made over the years include a new fuel pump, easy diy job, halogen headlight conversion so I could see where I was going,
a new radio/ cd player and an alarm system, otherwise a standard car.

There are numerous ways of upgrading the performance, there are various big bore kits/ options, up to a 2 litre "fast road" spec. I have played with the idea of converting mine into a 3.5 litre using the rover v8 engine, but part of the charm of the MGB is the olde worlde character so I have left mine mainly original. Maybe I am getting old but I enjoy the performance of the mg as it is without the need to chase the hot hatches. It might take a bit longer getting there, but its more fun!

Think the easiest performance upgrades would be air filters, new jets/ needles or possibly new carbs and a free flow exhaust. If you want more then its camshafts and then re-bore and cylinder head.

I agree with the comments about the suspension, can be improved quite easily, again a relatively simple diy job,and would be wise if you are increasing the performance. Best look at the brakes too!

Have a look at the various mg owners clubs / groups, there is a lot of info out there, and usually lots of very helpful people.
teadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote