A tip for you/window stuck/broken window stop - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ)

Old 11-09-2008, 18:13   #1
MGFNorway

Car: 1999 MGF 1.8 mpi
Send a message via MSN to MGFNorway
A tip for you/window stuck/broken window stop

Hello all.
I was parking my car today, put the softtop up, Opened both doors to wind up the windows (I found it to be more watertight when I do this) and bam, window stop broke. I was far from home and the window would not come back down, it was stuck up. The problem is that I was unable to close the door now.

Lucky me, had some basic tools in the boot. I really needed to close the door.

This is what I used, could come in handy for other owners, it does not take up to much space. A screwdriver and a 10mm bit.

Take off the doorcard, check out CJJs excellent guide if you don't know how to do this.

I had to unscrew the two 10mm bolts that hold the glass inplace:

"Front"

"Rear"

The window was stuck on part of the window stop mech seen in this pic.:

I unscrewed the two 10mm nuts that keeps the window in place, then I unscrewed the window part mech, location:

A picture of the part I unscrewed:

After doing this was it possible to lower the window and reattach the 2 10mm bolts. I needed to undo them do "wiggle" the window a bit.

Over to a question; Is it possible to buy this part of the window stop? I have the one on the far left, the black one. (Picture is borrowed from Dieters page)

Do I need to buy the black bit and the bit I have disassembled from the car? Any suggestions to where? Thanks guys.
MGFNorway is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 19:12   #2
Herbie

Car: MGF 1.8i, MGF & MGTF 1:18
Send a message via Skype™ to Herbie
Hi Morten, nice one

You should only take the left one as they replaced the old plastic ones (middle and right on the pic).

http://www.mgfcar.de/epc/6579.htm

Neun, Zehn und Elf

Edit: Seems to be failing time ... I think I just snapped my gear cable ...
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2008, 20:49   #3
MGFNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
Hi Morten, nice one

You should only take the left one as they replaced the old plastic ones (middle and right on the pic).

http://www.mgfcar.de/epc/6579.htm

Neun, Zehn und Elf

Edit: Seems to be failing time ... I think I just snapped my gear cable ...
Danke. Sorry to hear that. That could be expensive I guess?

It seem to me that only the orange/yellow part is damaged, is there anywhere I could buy this part? Is it a set?

Old 12-09-2008, 18:45   #4
MGFNorway

Turned out to be an easy fix. Just turn the yellow rubber thing and turn the window stop 180 degrees. Had to take out the window, have to wait until it rains to see if she still is watertight.

Pictures says it all:

Old 12-09-2008, 19:00   #5
Herbie

Car: MGF 1.8i, MGF & MGTF 1:18
Send a message via Skype™ to Herbie
Oh well Sir, nice fix

I got it all wrong and thought you wanted to buy all above shown windows stoppers as one set. Good that I didn't reply so far

You need CUN100390 (set of two), to be sure check above EPC-link (no. 5)
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36   #6
Mikef

Car: MG TF
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFNorway View Post
Turned out to be an easy fix. Just turn the yellow rubber thing and turn the window stop 180 degrees. Had to take out the window, have to wait until it rains to see if she still is watertight.

Pictures says it all:

I'm in the middle of doing something similar myself....have just taken out that stop (and have no idea how to get it back in currently...). Did you just turn the yellow rubber thing over, or put the whole stop back in upside down (compared to its orginal position)?

Just trying to see how to get the stop back in now :-)

mikef
Mikef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2008, 11:31   #7
MGFNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef View Post
I'm in the middle of doing something similar myself....have just taken out that stop (and have no idea how to get it back in currently...). Did you just turn the yellow rubber thing over, or put the whole stop back in upside down (compared to its orginal position)?

Just trying to see how to get the stop back in now :-)

mikef
Hello MikeF.
I only turned the yellow rubber, The windowstop itself is in its original position.

Good luck mate.

Old 12-10-2008, 16:11   #8
Mikef

The problem I was trying to solve was the window riding way too high..it was actually riding over the door stop.

Think I got there in the end...as per MGFNorways notes, remove the door card, and the door speaker.

The offending piece is located as per the first pic, the hole I'm pointing at.

Once you have unscrewed the door stop, it will probably fall down inside the door, which is one of the reasons to remove the speaker.

The second pic shows the stop from the door, and you can probably just make out the damaged plastic which my window stop was riding up and over.

There were two washers already on the stop (not sure if this is normal), so I added one washer, and pulled off the yellow plastic cover, then replaced it after turning it through 180, exactly as MGF Norway says...The third pic shows the three washers, held in place with some tape so they dont fall off when you do the next fiddly bit.

The easiest way to get it back was as the fourth pic shows...hold the stop in my left hand and reach up through the speaker hole. You have to wiggle it past the glass, and I found the easiest way to direct it into the hole was to guide it from above using a screwdriver (having nearly gotten my fingers stuck earlier).

Then screw it lightly back in place.

put the window up to the desired point, then tighten it.

My window now stops instead of riding up way too high, its in a line with the front edge of the cheater.

The window doesn't run up quite as smooth as it did, the back jerks up a little before the front moves, and it seems a touch clanky, so I guess I have to adjust a few other things to get it perfect. At the top of its travel it moves in (in towards the car) quite a bit, not sure what causes that.

I also remember someone saying that the metal on the door card gave a few rattles, and the best way to get rid of them is to cover the edge of the door with tape, so the last pic shows some red insulating tape along that top edge.

I'll report back on how it holds up through the week

cheer all

mikef
Attached Images
File Type: jpg six.jpg (97.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg seven.jpg (93.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg eight.jpg (85.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg nine.jpg (88.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg ten.jpg (77.4 KB, 127 views)

Old 13-10-2008, 09:07   #9
Mikef

Well, still seems to be working this morning, and the front of the window fits underneath the rubber seal on the hood....and I seem to have fixed the rattle!

The overnight drizzle is giving me little pools of water ont he door at the base of the cheater tho, so I guess the next job is to tackle that. I've tried a short length of hose in the seal at the top of the door frame, have to work out exactly where it gets in

cheers all

mikef

Old 13-10-2008, 18:36   #10
Mikef

Great drive home tonight with no rattly windows...so a success on that score at least! Great to have the hood down on a chilly evening as the sun is going down...

cheers

mikef

Old 19-11-2008, 12:36   #11
Tytalus

Car: V6 SAAB 93 Vs Prius T4 - Carbon Neutral
Well done Mike, it's finding the time isn't it!

Went on the Reaper run the other day and found that Patch isn't as watertight as it was last winter; so it looks like I'll be spending time with the hose this weekend then...
Tytalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19-11-2008, 12:40   #12
Scarlet Fever

Car: MGF
The other thing to note is that the captive bolt in the L shaped, metal window stop can pull free/sheer if overtightened (it's happened to me).

Other than that, well done guys for improvising a (free) fix. - nice one
Scarlet Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19-11-2008, 13:36   #13
Mikef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytalus View Post
Well done Mike, it's finding the time isn't it!

Went on the Reaper run the other day and found that Patch isn't as watertight as it was last winter; so it looks like I'll be spending time with the hose this weekend then...
Cheers...though I seem to have a rattle back again!! I think its in the lock somewhere....

cheers

Old 10-03-2013, 23:16   #14
Dangerfieldm

Car: MGF
This may well be an old post, but absolutely fantastic information folks.

Our stop had risen above the top of the yellow plastic part and was sitting above it. Very fiddly to push it out through the space between the door and the window, but once down inside the door well easy job.

Interesting to note that someone found theirs already had washers on it. I have fettled ours by fitting a tapered plastic wedge at the top. This has the benefit that you can partially tighten the yellow plastic part in place and fit the wedge afterwards. Not too many parts moving around.

Ours too is clunky and we will need to see if it is watertight. Also need to wait until summer to clean out inside the bottom of the door when it is dry.
Dangerfieldm is offline   Reply With Quote