Electric window wiring - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise

Old 15-09-2008, 20:30   #1
davy800

Car: Rover 211 1998
Electric window wiring

Hey, just got a set of doors for my car last week as my current ones have various bumps and scrapes on them.
The doors came with electric windows which my current doors don't have.

Tonight I looked at the wiring running into it. its a very simple set up below you can see the wires running into the electric window module then there is two that run into the motor itself.

My query is what wires are what running to the module.
The wires running to it is thick black, thick grey with green stripe, thin grey with black stripe and thin black with yellow stripe.
Now I take it that the thick black is earth.
thick Grey with green stripe is power
and the other two run from the switch to the module to let it know up or down.
Can anyone confirm this?

Will it be possible when I get the switches to take a live feed run it to the switch and earth it. then run the other two wires to the module?
I know i will need to fuse it, I will just use an in line fuse

Below is another plug I found and I don't know what its for. it has 6 wires running to it. Does anyone know what its for?

Thanks any help will be much appreciated. If everything goes to plan i will do up a 'how to' on how to convert from manual to electric.

Thanks Dave
davy800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-09-2008, 06:38   #2
davy800

bump up ttt

Old 16-09-2008, 07:56   #3
technozen
Mmmm....Rover..

Car: 200vi & Freelander XEDi
Send a message via MSN to technozen
Grey/Green is the 12 volt feed.
Black is ground.
Black/Yellow is the "up" side of the window switch.
Grey/Black is the "down" side of the window switch.

The drivers side switch simply needs the above two wires and ground, the passenger side switch needs a 12 volt supply and ground as that switch controls the window motor directly.
In the original setup the 12 volt power is fed from the Window relay to two separate 15 amp fuses, one for the drivers side and passenger side.

The spare connector is for the central locking motor.
Discounted SCU/BCU Full Relay Replacement Service - only for Supporters - details here
Replacement relays for the Pektron SCU available - .org Supporters buy 4, 5th is free - PM for details.
technozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16-09-2008, 18:26   #4
davy800

Good info there technozen

Was out there and looked at the passenger side, and true enough there is only two wires running to the motor.

Was looking at my mates ZR today which has electric windows.
Took out the switches, but both sides have 5 wires coming out. Now the 5 wires coming out of the drivers side switch all match up going to the loom into the door but there is an extra black. I take it that this is the earth for the switch??

But why does the P/S also have 5 wires coming out of it, surely it will only have 3? the 2 for controlling the motor and an earth for the switch? I didn't note the colours. Or does the live feed run into the switch that way? I'm not sure.

Will I need a relay in the circuit or can I just take a live feed from somewhere e.g cigarette lighter and put two 15 amp fuses in the line?

Thanks Dave

Old 17-09-2008, 20:49   #5
davy800

bump up again

Old 17-09-2008, 23:04   #6
technozen
Mmmm....Rover..

Car: 200vi & Freelander XEDi
Send a message via MSN to technozen
Yes, each switch has 5 wires.

A 12 volt supply,
Two grounds...

and the two wires to the window motor.

In the case of the drivers side the switch controls the window module which in turn drives the motor.

On the passenger side the motor is controlled directly via the switch.

The 12 volt supplies should be relay switched so that they are only present on ignition. In the original setup the relay is controlled via the MFU which keeps it powered up for about 1 minute after switching the ignition off, this gives you time to put the windows up..a nice feature.
Discounted SCU/BCU Full Relay Replacement Service - only for Supporters - details here
Replacement relays for the Pektron SCU available - .org Supporters buy 4, 5th is free - PM for details.
technozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-09-2008, 17:50   #7
davy800

rite OK then so I have no real need for a relay then? btw I added you on msn lol