Top engine oil leak, high presure under oil filler cap and black smoke, PCV? - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros)

Old 24-09-2008, 19:49   #1
NeilM

Car: MG ZTT
Top engine oil leak, high presure under oil filler cap and black smoke, PCV?

MG ZTT, 72K, FSH, never any trouble before. (Think it's depressed as selling soon, need to run BioDiesel 100%)

OK, done the MAF thing, lost the misfire but suddenly of the last few days the car has started chucking out black smoke.

Engine still runs like a dream, good power, better with new MAF, but the new MAF did not cure the smoke.

I noticed an oil puddle (used oil) on the top of the engine in the drivers side engine top cover screw hole, when replacing the MAF I tried the engine without the cover and had a small high pressure jet of oil come from the screw hole, I put my finger over the top to stop the car getting covered, turned the engine off and to relive pressure undid the oil filler cap.

I put the whole lot back together, curing the oil leak, the misfire etc, but not the black smoke. I read on Rover Rons site about the PCV valve, could this be the cause?

I would search on the forum, but it looks like the web server is running low on virtual memory (like me) so won't action a search.

Any help appreciated,

Many thanks, Neil.
NeilM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-09-2008, 19:54   #2
FLYER

Car: 03 75 club auto 2 litre tourer beastie with working fbh, but arseless cupholder
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
MG ZTT, 72K, FSH, never any trouble before. (Think it's depressed as selling soon, need to run BioDiesel 100%)

OK, done the MAF thing, lost the misfire but suddenly of the last few days the car has started chucking out black smoke.

Engine still runs like a dream, good power, better with new MAF, but the new MAF did not cure the smoke.

I noticed an oil puddle (used oil) on the top of the engine in the drivers side engine top cover screw hole, when replacing the MAF I tried the engine without the cover and had a small high pressure jet of oil come from the screw hole, I put my finger over the top to stop the car getting covered, turned the engine off and to relive pressure undid the oil filler cap.

I put the whole lot back together, curing the oil leak, the misfire etc, but not the black smoke. I read on Rover Rons site about the PCV valve, could this be the cause?

I would search on the forum, but it looks like the web server is running low on virtual memory (like me) so won't action a search.

Any help appreciated,

Many thanks, Neil.
do no harm to clean/change it after 72k , buy the bmw one its cheaper than rover part . also clean or bypass your egr valve. flyer.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote