MG-Rover.org Forums banner

KV6 2.5 VIS balance.

13K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  storming 
#1 ·
Hi forum boffins,
Can anyone explain specially the function of the VIS balance valve and what controls it, a diagram would be helpful. Does it work in unison with the power valve or does it have separate operating parameters? I ask this question because, before I take it apart and glue, screw, clean and resolder as advised on the forum, I would like to know what will be achieved. From the pictures I have found in the forum I more or less understand the power valve function.
Terry

#3 ·
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgoc&a=&p=emg/kv6variable.html

The inlet manifold chamber incorporates a Variable Intake System (VIS). The air flow from the throttle body feeds into a “Y” piece which separates into two secondary pipes. The secondary pipes feed into two main plenums, one for each bank of three cylinders. At the closed end of the plenums is a VIS balance valve, operated by an electrical motor. This valve enables the two plenums to be connected together. From the two plenums, the primary tract length to each cylinder is approximately 500mm. Each of these tracts has a side function, fitted with a VIS power valve and feeding into the short tract plenum, approximately 350mm from the cylinder head face. All of the VIS power valves are connected to a link rod which is operated by an electric motor.

#6 ·
No faults will flash up in the car only a code reading tool will show up that the power or the blance motors are not working.
If the car fells guttless then power valve has gone, but they can be repaired as long as the little motor has not burn out, being that it has to swim in oil from the breather system!!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.