MGF / TF Hardtop Fitting - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ)

Old 30-01-2009, 19:09   #1
Apollo

Car: MG 6 GT
MGF / TF Hardtop Fitting

I have had this in another forum and thought it would be a good thing for people who may want to know how hard tops are fitted and if anything needs to be removed to do so. Hopefully this will answer most people questions
This is a quick how to guide on fitting a hardtop.

Few FAQ's First.

Q. I have bought a hardtop, will it fit in an estate car?
A. Chances are that it will not fit (I think someone tried in a large Volvo estate and it wouldn't fit), if you are buying a hardtop then the best way to collect it is with your F/TF and I am sure the seller will put it on with you. If this is not an option then you will need a van.

Q. Do I need to remove the soft top so I can put the hard top on?
A. No, unzip the rear screen and fold the soft top down as the hard top fits over the top.

Q. Will I need to take my windstop off?
A. No, again the hardtop will fit over it, fold the roof down first then fold the windstop down.

Q. I have not got a switch in the dash for the heated rear window, what do I do or need to make it work?
A. All the wiring is already in place, you will need the switch, relay and maybe 20 -30 min to have it installed and working.

Fitting the Hardtop

Look for the wiring plug for the heated rear window(HRW) of the hard top.(this can be hidden uunderneath the carpet of the rear parcel shelf/engine access cover on the passenger side of the car.
Fold the soft top the same way as you would in the summer, I recommend you unzip the rear screen before lowering the roof. Make sure the HRW connector is not trapped(see first photo), you might not think this is long enough but your hard top should have the wires and female connector already on it which will be long enough to reach to the connector on the car.

Lower the electric windows, fold the sunvisors in the down position and remove the aerial by unscrewing it. *note the white connector near the folded hood

The next part requires two people.
With the hardtop(HT) at the rear of the car and facing the direction it will be placed on the car, lift the HT over the rear boot of the car keeping the rear slightly higher in order to place it on the front seals first, then lower the rear. I do this to stop the seals buldging when you latch the catches down.

On the inside of the car, make sure the hardtop is resting on the rear supports (just behind the passenger & drivers headrest) and then connect the HRW wiring up. Always do the front catches up first as this will pull the hardtop slightly forward, then move to the rear ones located on the inside rear of the Hardtop. (see photo's below)
Front catch the same as softtop ones.

Rear catches and connected HRW

Screw the aerial back on and the windows up and hey presto it should look like this

Hope this how to guide helps those who have never fitted one on their car
Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-01-2009, 19:16   #2
HarryB
Supporter

Car: MGF
Is the castle included?
HarryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-01-2009, 19:18   #3
Apollo

Car: MG 6 GT
not for sale but you can rent it
Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-01-2009, 20:02   #4
Vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
hey presto it should look like this
Mine dosen't??

Mines RED!

Vroom!
Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-01-2009, 21:38   #5
FrKevin

Car: MG TF
I have just fitted a hardtop to my 03 TF. I have used a rear heated window switch from a different Rover model I think the 200 range but faces up the same on dash. (5) The key way is slightly different but a little judicious use of a stanley knife solves that (though illuminates slightly darker orange). An appropriate 4 legged relay will be found in MAPLINS (2.60). See other related postings here. (They only have one on the shelves). It fits bottom right to under dash fuse. I couldn't find the electrical connector behind dash. Turned out to be fitted into the blanking block 2nd from RIGHT not left.
FrKevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-01-2009, 22:12   #6
MGFmad
Never forgotten

Car: Astra CDX auto, Freelander TD4 & Freelander 1.8, Mini One
Send a message via MSN to MGFmad
Its certainly advisable to fit the hardtop onto the car using 2 people but it can be done with one. Lat couple of times I did it myself as no one was around to help

And I can confirm that a hardtop will fit inside a Discovery (TD5 model)
MGFmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-10-2009, 16:49   #7
Toby LE500
Never forgotten

Location: Bristol, also often found in Stuttgart & Tunbridge Wells
Car: Darth Vader LE500 'problem child'
Not essential to unscrew arial, or take the softop window out, or undo the windows (you can just open the doors instead..

Its a blighter to put on with just one person, it can be done if you use your head (as a base to support the weight, not to think "this is a really stupid idea").
Toby LE500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-10-2009, 17:12   #8
Art
TF135

Send a message via Skype™ to Art
1st November tomorrow ? I suppose the weather is now going to be awful right through until the end of March ?

Old 31-10-2009, 17:14   #9
Will Hay

Car: I have 186 different cars
I find a little pressure from the back [on the hard top] before securing the front catches gives a good seal and prevents any creaks and whilstling during driving.

Found this out the hard way.
Rob
Will Hay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-10-2009, 18:14   #10
spaceoctagon

Car: MGTF 160
Talking tonneau cover

You didn't mention that you have to remove the tonneau cover!
spaceoctagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-10-2009, 19:29   #11
FrKevin

Now that the LE500's are issued, it must be possible to get replacement rubber seals. Or is the cost ludicrously absurd?
FrKevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 21:16   #12
Corbusier5

Hi. Being a novice at this have you a photo of the rear brackets before the roof is installed? I want to buy a hardtop but there doesn't seem much to fix it to and am worried the brackets have gone awol. I have an electric roof if that makes any difference. Thanks for any advice in advance
Corbusier5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 21:21   #13
Chris T

Car: MG TF 135 Platinum Silver, Skoda Roomster
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbusier5 View Post
Hi. Being a novice at this have you a photo of the rear brackets before the roof is installed? I want to buy a hardtop but there doesn't seem much to fix it to and am worried the brackets have gone awol. I have an electric roof if that makes any difference. Thanks for any advice in advance
The brackets should be there, they are bolted to hood frame so it's possible that they can go AWOL, the power hood maybe a factor but I am not sure what needs to be removed in order to fit it.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:40   #14
Corbusier5

Thanks. Someone has pointed me in the direction of Rimmers if I do need the part. I think I am going to play it safe and pickup the hartop in my Disco'. I do not want to drive 60miles to pick it up and have nothing to fix it to when I get there
Corbusier5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-03-2010, 11:37   #15
bikerpiper

Question Help with electric windows mgf

Can anyone please help. My o/s window went down, but would not go back up. The n/s window will not go down. I have checked fuses and all are ok. I disconnected the o/s window switch and took two wires from the battery and inserted them into the connector which raised the window no problem. It seems to me as if there is no current getting to the switches, but I may be wrong. The window mechanism looks to be fine. I am at a loss as to the problem, ok one minute and not the next.
bikerpiper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-03-2010, 11:50   #16
steve1951

Car: 1997 mgf 1.8i Tahiti blue, , 1996 mgf 1.8i amaranth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerpiper View Post
Can anyone please help. My o/s window went down, but would not go back up. The n/s window will not go down. I have checked fuses and all are ok. I disconnected the o/s window switch and took two wires from the battery and inserted them into the connector which raised the window no problem. It seems to me as if there is no current getting to the switches, but I may be wrong. The window mechanism looks to be fine. I am at a loss as to the problem, ok one minute and not the next.
Check the wires at the switch are not loose and are making a good contact, Also at the plugs at the mechanism in the door. Had this on our Hyundai, The drivers window worked ok, then wouldnt, had to give the door card a quick bang or two, then up it went. Yes I know lazy, but L it was only a Hyundai.
steve1951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 14:35   #17
elk600

Car: MGTF
Great info - thanks. One problem i have with my recently acquired h/top: I can't get the h/top to seat properly at the back. No matter how I arrange the hood, rear screen, windstop, the folded softtop always stops the rear seal of the hardtop meeting the bodywork. What am I doing wrong or is it supposed to be like that?
elk600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-09-2012, 09:05   #18
richardswanmar

soft top to hard top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbusier5 View Post
We have an MGF with an electric hood and are considering purchasing a hard top. Did you manage to fit the hard top over the top of the electric soft top? If so was it easy or did you have problems?
Not sure when you originally posted this, so hope it's not too long ago!!
richardswanmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27-10-2012, 20:22   #19
Scarruth

Hi,

Article was a great help. However when I fit the hardtop I find it sits slightly high at the back where it rests on the folded down hood. I tried getting my fingers in underneath it but it seems to be fully down. Is this usual. I could send a photo if that would explain it better?

Sam C
Scarruth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27-10-2012, 20:41   #20
warden
Supporter

Car: MG TF Spark 135 and ZR160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarruth View Post
Article was a great help. However when I fit the hardtop I find it sits slightly high at the back where it rests on the folded down hood. I tried getting my fingers in underneath it but it seems to be fully down. Is this usual. I could send a photo if that would explain it better?
I'm not sure it does sit on the hood itself. However there is a gap under the rear edge, which you can just see in the last pic on the first post in this thread. Here's mine...

warden is offline   Reply With Quote