My 1987 Black D-Reg Montego Turbo For Sale now:~ - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > For Sale & Wanted > For Sale

Old 15-03-2009, 16:44   #1
MGJohn
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MGZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2
My 1987 Black D-Reg Montego Turbo For Sale now:~

1987 D-Reg Black MG Montego Turbo D835 SBW

I have owned this car for over seven years now. The three previous owners are known and all have or had, connections with this Triple-M enthusiasts' web site.

Here it is at an MGM meeting a few years back:~

Since I've made it known that I have to reduce my fleet to a more manageable level, one or two folks have recently shown keen interest in the car as it is ~ that is without MoT or Tax. As I'm keen to reduce the fleet this spring to a more manageable level for my current resources, I'm now placing for sale advertisements inviting 'as is' offers.

Not mint but, a very tidy, sound, fine unmolested example. The car is now ready for it's MoT and running well. So to save my time, if I get a reasonable offer based above my bottom line 900 cash 'as is', then the car will go. If I do not get a reasonable 'as is' bid, I will get it MoTed, taxed for twelve months and then offer it for sale on Piston Heads etc for 1650 ovno.

Until about three years ago, I used the car as my 'daily driver' but, anxious to keep the mileage down ~ currently showing 83,000 which I believe is true ~ have mainly used my 620ti or Silver Leaf MG Montego Turbo instead, this car being dry stored in my double garage.

Car currently has Bridgestones on MGF MPi Six Spoke alloys - will replace with original MG Montego 6J X-Spoke alloys if buyer prefers. This is what the car looked like recently when I washed it to remove the dust whilst stored unused:~

I have maintained the car well during the past seven years of ownership. It has never missed a beat. Also has minor ( non-performance reliability upgrades ) such as triple core rad and slotted brake disc upgrades. Also in the past few months, new cylinder head gasket, timing and alternator belts, SU carb O rings replaced, oil, filter and other routine renewals.

I'd prefer anyone interested in making a serious offer to view the car first.

Over the years I've taken numerous pictures of the car and work done on it. Here's a few recent pics showing work in progress and completed:~

Helicoiled head stud hole:~

Completed engine after cylinder head gasket and belts renewal:~

When I started it up a few times after finishing the work, I noticed a little coolant stains below a core plug. The core plug had a small hole in the centre and this is what happend when I started to remove the core plug:~

Jobs a good un ..

The car always starts immediately as they all usually do in my experience. It is a joy to drive despite its age ~ indeed my job brings me in contact with modern cars occasionally including so called 'prestiege' German brands ~ you know what, I'm always pleased to get back in this Montego Turbo it drives and goes so well. Modern stuff so boring I find. It also handles well, better than any other MG turbo I've ever owned or driven. So much so that I was tempted to swap all the suspension over to my Silver Leaf B-Reg car which I'm keeping. However, I've since obtained another set of the same spec which I will use on the silver car.

Worth mentioning the triple core radiator fitted to this car. Here it is on top of and original item. Note the differences in core depths.:~

Custom made to my spec, it has brass side header tanks, not fragile skinny plastic ones as originally factory fitted each side of the too thin original core. This has increased to volume of coolant in the whole cooling system considerably and so much more efficient than the original set up. Never overheats in stop-start motorway holdups on hot summer days as previously and I've cruised the car at three figures plus for miles with confidence. Needle stable where it should be. It is without doubt, the best mod I've ever fitted to any car.

In addition to reducing my fleet, I plan to use the funds from this sale to get my other two Montego Turbos to drive as well as this and tidy them up cosmetically.

When I started it up prior to finsihing the cylinder head gasket work, my son recorded it and this can be seen and heard here on youtube:~

The clacking noise is when my son repositioned the camera's tripod:~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw8slMd__I

PM me please if you want to view need more information.

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-03-2009, 16:57   #2
Tom163

Car: 25 Track Car in Prog...
Amazing car , I would have had this off you in a second if I could insure it. I doubt you will have any problems shifting it at that price though.

Good luck with the sale.
Tom163 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 15-03-2009, 17:37   #3
Stephen G

Car: Aurora 180
Send a message via MSN to Stephen G
Good Luck with the Sale

If i can get the funds together then il have her off you. Shel go lovely next to H767KGM!
Stephen G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 15-03-2009, 17:58   #4
Dan1971

Car: Mk2 180 Saloon
Don't suppose you fancy a motorbike do you ?
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 21-03-2009, 18:08   #5
MGJohn
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post

Don't suppose you fancy a motorbike do you ?
Ha ha ..... I had a small collection of three until recently ~ all now sold. A Honda 4-cylinder I bought new in 1975 ~ sold for more than I paid for it new ... that's inflation for you..

B>>M>>W ....

Old 21-03-2009, 18:10   #6
MGJohn
Supporter

My Black MG Monty Turbo now has new owner.

Pleased to report this MG Montego Turbo has now changed ownership this afternoon.

The new owner is another true MG M enthusiast who appreciates these cars I'm delighted to say....

I've actually owned this car for more than seven years and enjoyed every minute of it. Very sorry to see it go but, need space to concentrate on my other Montego turbos. These two:~

B>>M>>W ....

Old 21-03-2009, 20:21   #7
shadybarry218iS

Car: 2001 Lexus GS300 mk2 3.0
Send a message via MSN to shadybarry218iS
how quick are these babies?
shadybarry218iS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message