MG ZR Boot Will Not Open - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise

Old 28-04-2009, 19:33   #1
Peter Carter

Car: MG ZR
Wink MG ZR Boot Will Not Open

Hi to everybody

My boot will NOT open. It has been fine but tonight after I got home it will not open either on the key or the central locking. The silver push botton just goes in to the stop and nothing happens.

P.S. How do I open it to get into the back of it??

Thanks
Peter
Peter Carter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-04-2009, 19:35   #2
g.warren216si

Car: rover 216 (for sale) mk4 golf gti
try locking and unlocking the car a few times and see what happens. it sounds like the mechanism has jammed.
g.warren216si is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-04-2009, 19:38   #3
Catterall1

Car: ZR160 Track Car
Send a message via MSN to Catterall1
go inside the car, and fold down the rear seats (awkward to do with the parcel shelf still there)
When inside the boot, remove the plastic cover at the bottom of the boot.
Under there you should see a cable going from the boot popper button to the hinge at the bottom centre, have a look and a play and it should release.
Catterall1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-04-2009, 19:45   #4
probey

Car: zs 180, shogun 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Carter View Post
Hi to everybody

My boot will NOT open. It has been fine but tonight after I got home it will not open either on the key or the central locking. The silver push botton just goes in to the stop and nothing happens.

Thanks
Peter
take off interior trim from inside . where the button comes in from outside, you will see a black lever that this pushes, its stuck in the open position so the boot wont unlock till its pushed back. move it back unlock the boot , then remove it lubr it and free it off on its spring.
probey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-04-2009, 07:47   #5
Peter Carter

Thanks to all for the advise
Peter Carter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-04-2009, 10:33   #6
nag1_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Carter View Post
Hi to everybody

Thanks
Peter
A similar thing happend to me!

Get into the lock area as suggested to others.

Once I had done this I found that the plasctic that a roll pin goes through to act as a pivot for the leaver on the push button had brocken. This looked to be caused by the roll pin rusting slightly and thus getting to big for the plastic and it then snapping.

To fix the problem I had to buy a new button release unit for about 7 off someone on hear and swap the unit. With a bit of work the key barrel can be swapped between the units to ensure you still have the correct key for the boot.

As a temp measure till it was fixed I left the trim pannel off, tied a bit of string to the realase cable and ran the string to the drivers seat. I then had a remote boot ope system!

Mike
nag1_uk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 08:51   #7
shellz

hi , my boot is stuck, since my alarm went off and blew the fuse my boot will not open , when unlocking it makes a noise from the boot like it is trying to unlock but its not , tryed to open boot with key but wont seem to let me put the key in the lock.
also my passenger side door no longer locks .
can anybody help ...??
shellz is offline   Reply With Quote