sometimes car wont start. makes a big clunk when i turn key. - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400

Old 02-06-2009, 06:38   #1
scott280484

Car: MG ZS
Angry sometimes car wont start. makes a big clunk when i turn key.

hi i love my mg zs 120 and was thinking of an upgrade to the 180 but having serious doubts. since i bought the car i now have to top up the water in the engine every 3days or so and now i have a new problem. 1 out of every 20 starts my car wont start its always in the morning. when i turn the key it makes a clunk noise and doesnt even turn over. its not the battery because when it finally does start after about fifteen minutes of trying it starts straight away. the only clue i have is that when i turn the key i can here a noise from the injection system. i dont really have a clue about engines and dont want to be taken for a ride at the garage so would like to know from someone who isnt going to benefit from my money before i take my car to the garage. thanks
scott280484 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 08:40   #2
stefan161

Car: MG3 Style, previously ZS180 Saloon in XPG
First of all, get that coolant loss sorted asap. It won't fix itself and will inevitably lead to a head gasket failure if you don't get it investigated and repaired.

The noise you hear when you turn the ignition key before starting the engine is the fuel pump priming. Not sure about the other noise though, is it a definite mechanical clunk or just the starter motor not engaging which will just be a 'click'.

The 180 is an entirely different beast to the 120, the engine is much stronger for a start. It has it's own problems but they are all curable. Before any such purchase though you must do a lot of research on the model both on here and the XPower forums.
stefan161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2009, 08:50   #3
patpending
Supporter

Car: ZS 180 Mk2 FireFrost Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan161 View Post
...The 180 is an entirely different beast to the 120, the engine is much stronger for a start. It has it's own problems but they are all curable. Before any such purchase though you must do a lot of research on the model both on here and the XPower forums.
agree with that, though I can't help with the "under bonnet" stuff. To say you have a 120 so you'll get a 180 must be a bit like like saying you've got a Metro 1.0 HLE so you're going to get a 6R4...

and, speaking as a layman, that water's going somewhere - that's wronger than wrong! fix the leak!

is that right, gurus?
patpending is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2009, 10:00   #4
fastmike

Car: MG ZS
I suspect the coolant is going into one of the cylinders and causing a hydraulic lock, in other words head gasket failure, before trying to start it in the morning remove the spark plugs and look for a wet or rusty plug
fastmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2009, 10:32   #5
MGR-Mad

Car: Corsa 2 1.2 (economic)
Fastmike is most probably spot on.

GET THAT LEAK SORTED.........FAST.
MGR-Mad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2009, 10:42   #6
stefan161

Car: MG3 Style, previously ZS180 Saloon in XPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
I suspect the coolant is going into one of the cylinders and causing a hydraulic lock, in other words head gasket failure, before trying to start it in the morning remove the spark plugs and look for a wet or rusty plug
Yes, this reminds me. A work colleague of mine has a ZS 120 which started up then suddenly stopped dead. Trying again gave only a hideous mechanical clatter. Turned out cylinder 4 had filled with water due to an internal leak, obviously water won't compress so it bent the con-rod. If it had happened at speed the rod would have exited out of the side of the block.
stefan161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-01-2014, 06:04   #7
taneshaleo

Car: CityRover
Check the starter mounting bolts for tightness. This is the most common reason for clunking/grinding noise.
taneshaleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-01-2014, 09:50   #8
jdhturner

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
This is a

FIVE YEAR OLD THREAD
jdhturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-01-2014, 09:56   #9
Rover_King

Car: Rover 45 1.8 Connoisseur
I would replace the IMG
Rover_King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-01-2014, 10:50   #10
MGJohn
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MGZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover_King View Post
I would replace the IMG
Yes, they are not expensive and often a reason for coolant loss.

The OP has done the right thing in seeking advice.

My Prime Suspect for that kind of coolant loss level would be a worn or wearing Water Pump. Could be other reasons of course.

How to check for a worn, leaking Water Pump? Look for stains on a dry, cold engine or wetness on a recently switched off hot one. Look below the Timing Belt Plastic Cover at the right side of the engine. Best viewed with the front wheel arch and ideally with right wheel removed. See attached image for where to look. Coolant stains or wetness on the alloy sump area below the large pulley in the picture are the signs of a worn, leaking water Pump.

As previous posters rightly advise, coolant loss invariably leads to other engine damage due to overheating ... in any car. Need to ID the cause of the coolant loss and rectify asap. If you draw a blank with your searches, best to seek advice from someone who really knows these cars. Not all professionals do.

My MG ZS120 bought new eleven years ago has been faultless. However, I do keep an eye on things and check regularly as all car manufacturers recommend users should do.

Far too many car users freely admit to never ever lifting their bonnets or even check tyre pressure with safety in mind unless something goes wrong ... Guess what... It don't work like that ... ... so something goes wrong. The previous owner of your car could have been of that mindset.

In the picture of a lady friend's car are the minor first signs of a leaking worn pump. Just a little at first then gets worse with more miles and wear. Then suddenly it lets goi and a river of coolant soon is lost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jane's Rover 4.JPG (161.6 KB, 5 views)
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote