Rover 25 TDI with BMW engine?? - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Ask The Gurus! - Help and Advice Forums > Diesel Forum!

Old 21-06-2009, 13:30   #1
Kris214

Car: 04 MG ZT 260 SE (Poseidon), 02 Rover 75 CDT, 01 Rover 25 IE
Send a message via MSN to Kris214
Rover 25 TDI with BMW engine??

I think this guy has been misinformed. I wasn't gonna post this but apon seeing his response I thought I would. LOL

This is the car listing featured on gumtree:

http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/50/40595450.html

Nice looking car, nice colour, low miles etc but "BMW diesel engine" I think not.

So I rattled this email off to the seller.

Quote:
Hello.

Whoever told you this car had a BMW engine was telling you prokies. It features Rovers own L series diesel engine, not the BMW engine as found in the Rover 75 and MG ZT.

As you obv don't know what your selling Im not interested but just thought I would let you know that piece of info. Research it yourself if you wish.

Good luck with the sale.

Kris.
I then get this response:

Quote:
Hi Kris,
Obviously you don't know what you are talking about as the engine in the rover 25 is a BMW Engine, I should know as I am a mechanic and also my father owns a BMW dealership, so do your research before you start telling people they don't know what they are talking about, and if your not interested why bother wasting my time and yours.
So a mechanic and a BMW dealership don't even know what engine this is. LOL. So I then sent this:

Quote:
Trust me mate, you have been misinformed on this. I do know what Im talking about, I've owned alot of Rovers in my time to know what engine it has. I'm also a member of the mg-rover internet forums and we hear this sorta stuff all the time. If your dad owns a BMW garage then he should know what kind of engine it has...Rovers L series unit as found in the 200, 400, 600, 25, 45, ZR and ZS. Only the Rover 75 and the MG ZT got the BMW diesel engine. I'm not wasting your time, I was just pointing out to you that you have the information wrong and therefore potentially selling someone a car under false pretences.

Kris.
I also sent him the link to this thread.

Some people shouldn't be selling cars.
Kris214 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-2009, 13:39   #2
Andypower

Tournaments Won: 2

Car: mg zs 180
its funny isnt it,

the 400 i bought three weeks ago now was advertised as a bmw engine. i told the fella what engine it was when i looked at it and we argued for half an hour over it.

i bought it in the end, but i still think he was a tit. some people will always be stupid *****s, and i hate them all. lol
Andypower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21-06-2009, 13:46   #3
will-w

Car: MG ZS+ 115 TDi
Send a message via MSN to will-w
Makes me laugh... He could end up being sued if someone actually bought it thinking that it did actually have a BMW engine!

In fact, it's almost worth paying the money and the legal fees, as I'm sure you could get a profit from the winnings when taking him to court!
will-w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21-06-2009, 13:52   #4
Dakta
Diesel Tuning Dude

Tower Defence War Champion!
Car: 75 Tourer Conn SE & 45 TDi VNT
Garages
Send a message via MSN to Dakta
Your first email to him was a bit harsh (about selling what he doesn't know anything about), but yes he has made it obvious with his own wording that he's retarded.

Oh well! He isn't the first, won't be the last. I've got to be honest, it's nice for me to drive something a supposdely 'informed' BMW dealership tries to call it's own. Okay, it's all in the mind, but hey!

At the end of the day, he's simply confused the rover L series with the 2.0 CDT engine used in the rover 75's, which are BMW.

Old 21-06-2009, 14:04   #5
Kris214

Car: 04 MG ZT 260 SE (Poseidon), 02 Rover 75 CDT, 01 Rover 25 IE
Send a message via MSN to Kris214
I don't think I was being harsh in my first e-mail, end of the day its true I spoke the truth.
Kris214 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21-06-2009, 14:04   #6
ursus-2

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
iss this a bmw dealer mechanic of somerset?
ursus-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21-06-2009, 19:50   #7
Chrisund123

Car: 45 2.0 Diesel
Why do so many people think the 25 has the BMW engine? go on ebay and there are loads of people selling tuning boxes to fit the ZT, 75, ZR and 25 - people who are obviously misinformed
Chrisund123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21-06-2009, 20:31   #8
220Deano

Car: Bubble 220 SDi (98).
Maybe we should all go buy petrol K series 25/ZR's and then sell them on Ebay as having a Lotus engine.....

What do you think ... lmao
220Deano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2009, 12:40   #9
nick_s

Car: Vectra SRi
Deano! I lolled!!
nick_s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2009, 12:48   #10
mercodus

Car: Yota
he does say 'this is the rover with the BMW Deisel engine'
mercodus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2009, 17:17   #11
SDI_Tim

Car: MG ZS+ TD135+
My neighbours were very interested in buying my old ZR when it was up for sale, when I told them it had pretty much the same engine as their 620Sdi, the conversation went something like this:

Neighbour "Oh that's good, the engine on the missus' 600 has never missed a beat in 5 years, great engines those Honda lumps"

Me "Oh I see, actually it's a Rover engine, but a good engine though"

Neighbour "Are you sure etc."

Me "Yes, it was some of the petrol engines that were Honda in the 600"

Neighbour made some small talk, still probably didn't believe me, but was actually quite worried that it was not a Rover engine, even though it had been faultless, and they were looking for a new car

Me (thinking in my head) "some people!"

Bloody morons, I know which engine I would trust to cost less to run over the years, it's the L series, not the BMW M47 engine with it's in tank/under bonnet fuel pumps, occasional cam/crank sensor and injector faults, etc.
SDI_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2009, 17:20   #12
Stu C

Car: MG ZT 260SE & Rover 25 iL Derv
Send a message via MSN to Stu C
Yeah i had that with my 6020SDi people saying it was a Honda engine

I still get it with the 260! - "oh thats the good old 3.5litre Rover V8 isnt it?"
Stu C is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2009, 17:24   #13
SDI_Tim

Yeah gets my goat to be honest, I imagine if the neighbours knew it was a Rover engine all along they wouldn't have so much praise for it.

Honda engines generally great for reliability, yes, but the L series is very good as well, only small faults seem to happen regularly, and not expensive ones, the occasional fuel pump for tractor syndrome I suppose.

Surprisingly there aren't too many failures due to the oil cooler pipes corroding, on both my ZR and ZS these were in a poor state when I bought them and needed rustproofing PDQ to avoid future failure.

Old 22-06-2009, 17:32   #14
radion_auto

Asteroids Champion!
Car: MG ZR 160TDi
Send a message via MSN to radion_auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu C View Post
Yeah i had that with my 6020SDi people saying it was a Honda engine

I still get it with the 260! - "oh thats the good old 3.5litre Rover V8 isnt it?"
I've come across that one too actually. You ever wondered what it would have been like if they DID decide to use the (much lighter) rover V8? Probably the 5 litre hotwire version that TVR utilised. It's very long in the tooth i guess, but it would have been interesting to see another rover v8 rear wheel drive cruiser
radion_auto is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2009, 21:00   #15
Fodenman

Car: 420 SDLi
If the guys father owns a BMW dealership,tell him to try plugging in the 25 to the diag.
Prob get a code for "Traction control water level low."
Fodenman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2009, 22:09   #16
Cap'n ZS

Car: Jaguar 3.0 S type.
Send a message via MSN to Cap'n ZS
I've just got an email back from him, he says it has got a BMW engine, he says he fitted it himself! Anybody near Belfast fancy going as a prospective buyer and taking a butchers? Even if it was true which I very much doubt it is because it would be a monster of a project to do, insuring it would be a big issue.
Cap'n ZS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2009, 22:10   #17
Benny Dub
what a guy

Car: Mercedes CLK, Classic Mini, Streetwise TD, Kymco Pulsar 125
When I was looking for Streetwises there was a dealer with one for sale that had in big bold writing on the advert "BMW DIESEL ENGINE".

I ignored it, as loads of people try to milk Rover's association with BMW all those years ago when trying to sell one, and called him up.

All went well, sounded like a good car tbh, untill I asked about the service history. It was on 64,000 miles so asked if it had had the cambelt done, to which his response was "nah its a BMW engine, don't need it".

My reply was something like "surely the cambelt must need changing at some point, they're not invincible".

"chain timing mate, all the BMW diesels are, don't worry about any of that cambelt stuff with this".

I then continued to lecture him on how its an L series blah blah blah 75/ZT had the bmw engine blah blah blah.

He was not very happy lol.
Benny Dub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2009, 22:11   #18
SDI_Tim

Cap'n ZS, if that were true it would be a bargain surely? Easyish to get 160-170bhp with a few mods (airflow and Synergy).

Serious BS from this guy, what a loser.

Old 22-06-2009, 22:23   #19
220Deano

Car: Bubble 220 SDi (98).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n ZS View Post
I've just got an email back from him, he says it has got a BMW engine, he says he fitted it himself! Anybody near Belfast fancy going as a prospective buyer and taking a butchers? Even if it was true which I very much doubt it is because it would be a monster of a project to do, insuring it would be a big issue.
If he has done that then two things really worry me about the car. Firstly he states in the add 'it's the rover with a bmw engine' and not 'Rover 25 with BMW engine conversion' and secondly why the hell did he need to change an L series engine which only had 50,000 miles on it at most (assuming he's only just done the conversion) ??????

Smells seriously fishy....
220Deano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2009, 22:33   #20
Dakta
Diesel Tuning Dude

Tower Defence War Champion!
Car: 75 Tourer Conn SE & 45 TDi VNT
Garages
Send a message via MSN to Dakta
No, it smells retarded.

He has done no such engine conversion, and is merely being stubborn about looking an idiot, whilst being totally and blissfully oblivious of it.

Okay, only a few prospective buyers might know enough about rover to know it, but from a factual standpoint, it still makes you stupid.