Rover 75 - CDTi Starter Motor Bolts - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros)

Old 08-07-2009, 16:47   #1
MisterB

Car: Rover 75
Rover 75 - CDTi Starter Motor Bolts

Hello,

I am trying to remove the starter motor from my 2003 Rover 75, 2.0 CDTi Auto to replace the contacts in the solenoid. However, in spite of much trying and knuckle scraping, I cannot locate one of the bolts!

I can see and remove the nut & bolt which is the radiator side of the starter, I have found photo's on-line for my Denso starter motor and it does show another bolt hole opposite this one.

I have tried every way I can to feel for this other bolt (from the starter motor side) and I just cannot find it (I know it must be there as the starter will not budge with just the one nut & bolt removed.

Has anyone who has removed one of these got any tips? Do you know if the bolt is from the starter motor side or should I be looking around the bell housing side (there is a bolt in the bell housing but it looks a bit too far around to be in the starter)? Is there something else I need to remove first to gain access (other than the engine cover and air supply pipe)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the tell tale clicks are becoming more frequent and I know I am on borrowed time!

I have searched this forum and cannot find reference to anyone else having the same removal issue.

First post, so thanks in anticipation.

Mark
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-07-2009, 18:58   #2
roverrattles

Car: Connoisseur SE CDT
Smile

There are two fixings the top one is the bolt that the earth strap is fastenened to on the bell housing and screws into the starter motor. The second one is futher down and is a nut and bolt probably the one you have already removed.
roverrattles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19-07-2009, 19:38   #3
COLVERT

Car: R 75 Diesel. Plus Honda CB 1,000 R. motorbike. 130 bhp engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverrattles View Post
There are two fixings the top one is the bolt that the earth strap is fastenened to on the bell housing and screws into the starter motor. The second one is futher down and is a nut and bolt probably the one you have already removed.
It was a waste of time answering this one as the bloke has not been back since he asked the question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do people do this ???????
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-07-2009, 08:13   #4
MisterB

RoverRattles, may thanks for the reply. I will have another look at the bell housing side. I did remove one bolt which looked like it was probably about an inch too far round the housing for the starter - and it was as the starter still would not budge.

I think the key is the elusive earth cable - this is also not immediately obvious on this car. The earth on this one runs from the battery to the body and stops. Obviously it will have one that runs to the engine, but it does not appear to be near the starter. Have had Rover's for many years so know there bizarre ways. Will look at the car on Wednesday and try again.

Colvert, thanks for your informed assumption. I did not read in the Forum Rules that you had to log-on in order to gain answers to your posts. As this forum is viewable without loggin on, I simply bookmarked the question and have checked it everyday - several times a day when I first posted it!

Old 20-07-2009, 11:02   #5
COLVERT

Car: R 75 Diesel. Plus Honda CB 1,000 R. motorbike. 130 bhp engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
RoverRattles, may thanks for the reply. I will have another look at the bell housing side. I did remove one bolt which looked like it was probably about an inch too far round the housing for the starter - and it was as the starter still would not budge.

I think the key is the elusive earth cable - this is also not immediately obvious on this car. The earth on this one runs from the battery to the body and stops. Obviously it will have one that runs to the engine, but it does not appear to be near the starter. Have had Rover's for many years so know there bizarre ways. Will look at the car on Wednesday and try again.

Colvert, thanks for your informed assumption. I did not read in the Forum Rules that you had to log-on in order to gain answers to your posts. As this forum is viewable without loggin on, I simply bookmarked the question and have checked it everyday - several times a day when I first posted it!
I don't wish to be rude but it was not an assumption but simply an observation. A nine day gap is a fact ,not a guess !! You would not be the first person to do this nor no doubt will you be the last. This is the best motoring forum in the world for people going to the trouble and giving their time to help others. This will become very obvious to you the more you use the forum. Anyway I would like to say And I wish you luck with solving your problem .
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-07-2009, 17:36   #6
roverrattles

It sounds like you have been trying to remove the correct bolt, it does look to be too far
round for the starter motor. You will need to remove it completely as the motor would not move if you had only loosened the bolt. Hope this helps unless anyone else can offer a suggestion. My car is a manual so it may be slightly different.

Old 20-07-2009, 19:44   #7
MisterB

RoverRattles, many thanks for the reply. I will take the bolt out completely (I did loosen it quite a bit but the starter did not give the usual "shake loose" you would expect) so I will totally remove it, from your comments I now know that the bolt is the bell housing side and the starter had a thread into which the bolt goes. This alone is a major step forward.

Will try again on Wednesday and let you know.

Regards

Mark

Old 22-07-2009, 19:59   #8
MisterB

RoverRattles, well done, I found the elusive bolt! Starter removed, solenoid overhauled and all fitted back within an hour. Many thanks for your help, you have saved me from having to suffer the humiliation of not being able to remove such a simple item! Much appreciated.

All the best.

Mark

Old 22-07-2009, 20:58   #9
MisterB

If anyone is having the same problem as me with this bolt, here are a few notes which may be of help.

On the Rover 75 Diesel Auto, there is one nut (15mm) & bolt (13mm) located on the Radiator side of the starter motor. Once you have removed the engine accoustic cover, the air ducting, disconnected the battery and the cables from the starter, this nut & bolt is easily removed. As RoverRattles stated, the second bolt goes into a threaded hole in the starter motor, the bolt head (13mm) is located on the bell housing side.

Looking from above the engine, between the inlet manifold and the battery box, you will clearly see a 15mm bell housing bolt head, it looks a little bit too far around to be fitted to the starter motor and it is! The bolt you need is approx 2-2.5 inches from this one, on my car it was located underneath a metal water pipe (if you were looking from the passenger side of the engine bay, the easily visible 15mm bell housing bolt head is approx just before 12 o'clock, the starter bolt is at approx just before 11 o'clock).

To remove the bolt I needed a 13mm socket on a 9" extension bar, I also unhooked the water pipe (the one with the vent valve) from their clips around the battery box, this allowed me to reach the extension bar with a torque wrench and get enough movement to undo the bolt. I removed this bolt from the starter, but did not withdraw it from the bell housing so it made refitting easier. Note, this bolt has approx 25mm of thread beyond the bell housing, so it does take a good few turns to fully disengage from the starter.

I refitted the starter using the nut & bolt finger tight, I could then just turn the extension bar I had left in situ to locate and tighten the 13mm bolt.

Sorry this is very wordy, I took a couple of photos and followed the instructions in the FAQ, but it appears I do not have the options to upload them.

Old 22-07-2009, 22:02   #10
John Armstrong
Supporter

Car: facelift 75 CDTi
Welcome Mister B and thanks for sharing with us your experience....sorry for the 11 days
John
John Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-07-2009, 23:22   #11
roverrattles

Glad to be of help. Thanks to the forum I saved some money with a solenoid repair kit.
I was about to buy a reconditioned starter motor until I did a quick search on here for
starter motor problems.

Old 24-01-2010, 16:32   #12
andy mills

Car: MG ZT
Thanks all for this thread . . . i spent about 30 mins trying to find the hidden 2nd bolt and this directed me to it. I also used the repair kit and all is fine. The hidden top bolt with engine earth strap gave me severe problems when i first bought the car. I had occasional severe gear changes (auto box) which turned out to be a loose earth on this bolt!! Mr RAC fixed that one for me so i hadnt seen it at the time!
andy mills is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-07-2014, 17:32   #13
criky18

Car: Rover 75 Tourer
Rover 75 cdt starter motor removal - tricky

Long time since anyone posted but just to give belated thanks to Mister B for his guide above. This second bolt is a pig to find and in my cdti it is impossible to see with all the pipes around. He was spot on with his 9" socket extension with a 13mm socket.

You cannot see the bolt head but need to approach with the extension horizontal and at a very low level threading trough pipes as necessary. You then need to 'feel' for the bolt head with the extension, which is there somewhere - I assure you. Poke around and use the lower nut on the bolt holding the starter, to gauge how far you need to go towards the starter. If the socket seems to go beyond the visible nut position then you've missed the face that the bolt lies on. Also once found with the socket locating on to it, do not withdraw the socket and bolt once undone. Just let it lie there.

You should now be able to just see the socket looking through the sphagetti. This is the bolt position but you will probably still not be able to actually see it.

Found it best to remove a rubber water hose in front of the starter to give a bit more room to remove it from the housing and from the vehicle. Also do unclip any other hoses so you can get your arms into the area.

Also if you are clumsy like me you may find it worthwhile to remove the pan under the engine before starting work. I did not - dropped the 15mm nut which rolled under engine on to the pan. Fortunately I did have a spare so did not have to try and recover. Without the pan on, any falling bits should land on the ground and not the pan.
criky18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-07-2014, 22:14   #14
DMGRS
Discount MG Rover Spares (Formerly Mattyprice4004)

Car: MG ZT-T+ CDTi Auto
Garages
Send a message via MSN to DMGRS
Bookmarked for future reference - I'm sure mine must be quite worn by now.

Discount MG Rover Spares - Free UK P+P on all orders.

Click above to view our Shop.

Rover 75 Spares:
1.8 Lower Engine Mounts
V6 Lower Engine Mounts
Battery Box Lids
Rear Upper Suspension Arms
Front Brake Discs Backplates
OEM Drop Links

I'm away from 22nd-26th September. Please place any important orders in advance to avoid a delay.
DMGRS is offline   Reply With Quote