Freelander Rear Window Problem - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > Land Rover

Old 08-11-2009, 17:13   #1
Tomredd

Car: Classic Rover
Unhappy Freelander Rear Window Problem

Hi new to this forum so you may heard this before, I have a 2001 freelander and all of a sudden the rear window has developed a mind of its own ! It completely randomly drops by itself ! may happen twice a night then not at all for a few day's. Please Any Ideas ?
Tomredd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 18:11   #2
belly

Car: MG ZS
window probs

check the wiring that goes to rear , they have a problem splitting cutting through causeing this prob
belly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-11-2009, 12:22   #3
Tomredd

Managed to have a look at the wiring and unfortunately didn't see any damage so still looking for a solution

Thanks for the reply Belly

Old 15-11-2009, 17:17   #4
rikib

Car: Freelander, and ZR
Hi mate, check the wiring to the battery from the alternator and the starter motor. If there are any issues, like a loose connection, this can cause the battery to drain slightly, and IF that is happening it can cause the electrics to play up.

I had an issue with this a while back and the fix was to replace the wire that run from the battery to the alternator as it wasnt giving a very good connection. So when I put the window down it wouldnt go back up, kept dropping.

Might not be the cause of your problem, but it is a free/relatively cheap fix (my replacement wire cost £3). Best of all it is free to check it........
rikib is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2009, 18:07   #5
MattL

Car: MG ZT 180 SE in XPG.
Is this a 3 door by any chance?
MattL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2009, 17:28   #6
Tomredd

It is indeed ! had a look at the wiring as suggested but failed to find a fault

Old 05-12-2009, 19:35   #7
MattL

Car: MG ZT 180 SE in XPG.
Check the hardtop catches are set right. There is a microswitch on the body underneath the hardtop (LH side iirc correctly) If the microswitch triggers as it thinks someone is taking the hardtop off the rear glass drops to stop you damaging it.

With all the windows up (inc rear glass) and the dash vents closed. Slam one of the side doors really hard(make sure all others are shut). If the rear glass drops its almost definitely the micro switch. The air pressure will lift the hardtop slightly off the microswitch and drop the rear glass.

Let us know how you get on. Where are you based?
MattL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2009, 20:13   #8
c4a5er

Car: Freelander TD4
To confirm the microswitch is at fault you can tape in down and see if it solves the problem. If it is then you can investigate why the hard top isn't holding it down enough. If you decide to leave it taped down remember to remove the tape if/when you take the top off.
c4a5er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 19:47   #9
Tomredd

Hi had a go doing this, didn't cause the window to drop immediately But now my neighbors think I'm a weirdo, standing there repeatedly slamming the door !

The window didn't drop immediately but it did cause the problem to increase in frequency, pulling what's left of my hair out !

P.S. Appreciate the reply's

Old 17-12-2009, 06:51   #10
lovel
T4 Diagnostics

Car: 75 Tourer-25-FLTD4-3500S-IMP
Garages
Inside the tailgate handle itself there is a cheapo micro switch and tiny springs assembly. The micro switch is very sensitive and relies on the spring to hold off the handle lever from any physical movement. The spring(s) corrode over time at each end and the door starts to play up.
I managed to bend the end of the broken spring and reattach with success, that was a couple of years ago and still working. You can only purchase the complete handle assembly not the microswitch springs assembly itself.
lovel is offline   Reply With Quote