MGF Suspension squeeky (passenger front) - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ)

Old 07-02-2010, 17:16   #1
wilddog

Car: MGF MkII 1.8i
Smile MGF Suspension squeeky (passenger front)

Hi everyone (newbie), Ive just sorted out leaking heater hoses and bouncy hand brake lever-running sweet ..Now i've got the mouse syndrome of squeeky/creeky suspension. The mechanic has told me the hydragas need filling as riding low.

I am looking for a garage that can hydragas the suspension? could the squeek come from from the bump stoppers (rubber on wish bone) due to height issue with suspension?

The squeek and a slight creek is noticable on passenger front when driving or low speed parking. Both front wheels off and jacked up moved steering wheel no squeek, probably as no pressure on any rubber or suspension part.

Applied grease to all the nipples (front and rear) until it oozed out. Checked the rubbers and seem all ok. Squeek still there. Sprayed each rubber with oil based lub, squeek still there!

Any ideas/help much appreciated as i am at a loss to what it could be......

'3 quick options: stereo full blast, ear plugs or heater fan full blast'
wilddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 17:44   #2
Disgusted

Car: Austin Metro, Rover 216 Cabriolet (K-series), Rover 216 GSi, Rover 200, Sherpa camper van
Have a look on www.hydragas.co.uk

I would get it pumped up and then go from there.
Disgusted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 18:04   #3
wilddog

Cheers m8ty I have looked at the site and there is a garage 1/2 a mile from where I live, I give them a call and take it from there.

Old 11-02-2010, 18:29   #4
wilddog

Had it re gassed (50.00 inc VAT) recommend Earlsfield Garage SW London Penwith Road SW18 on 0208-870- 4101 and speak to shaun, but the squeek is still there!, Mmm the mechanic said that he looked and could not find anything wrong, no leaks, no bushes torn or missing or loose? height at 350mm from centre of cap much better......any ideas anyone of the squeek.....much appreciated

Old 11-02-2010, 19:51   #5
MGFmad
Never forgotten

Car: Astra CDX auto, Freelander TD4 & Freelander 1.8, Mini One
Send a message via MSN to MGFmad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
Had it re gassed (50.00 inc VAT) recommend Earlsfield Garage SW London Penwith Road SW18 on 0208-870- 4101 and speak to shaun, but the squeek is still there!, Mmm the mechanic said that he looked and could not find anything wrong, no leaks, no bushes torn or missing or loose? height at 350mm from centre of cap much better......any ideas anyone of the squeek.....much appreciated
Try some silicon spray on the rubber bushes - sometimes it does the trick or at least indicate where the squeak is from.
MGFmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 20:54   #6
bunjamin

Car: MGF
I had this problem on driver's front. A quick grease of the suspension nipples and all's well once more. Let us know if and how you get this sorted. Good luck!
bunjamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2010, 07:58   #7
Charless

Car: 3xMGF
Even at 350mm you are still a bit low(368mm@ 17C). It might be worth having the tracking checked.
Charless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13-02-2010, 21:14   #8
wilddog

a many thanks for advice
when regassed does the trackin change? would you also suggest the height at 368mm, prior to gassing the car height was at 320mm ..ouch (sump ripping speed humps)

all nipples attacked with grease until it oozed out....checked the p/side dampner and the dampner bush looks loose due to movement seen ....new bushes ordered, i'll fit the loose bush then try 4 squeak.. and lube the remainder bushes with silicon....
"I am on a mission to find out cause"

Old 14-02-2010, 12:06   #9
bunjamin

Sounds like you're well onto the case. One of the jobs I want to do is get the bushes sorted out.
bunjamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-02-2010, 18:41   #10
wilddog

Lubed all bushes (sounds like a valentine mission with all my ex wives) with silicon spray as advised in the replies but creek & squeak still there when under load, front passenger wheel left on drivers wheel taken off, except when the reverse way round no creek or squeek? load issue on the suspension causing issue, but what part(s), difficult to pin down....had the wife with an extension bar on top of the threaded section of the dampner but no luck there, so will continue....if not a whole change of the bushes....

Old 17-02-2010, 02:06   #11
ORKHIS
Supporter

Car: 1997MGFVVC;1971MGBGT
Usual answer to a squeak coming from the passenger side is to employ some sort of gagging device. I've found this worked well in the past, but I now have a newish partner who seems to understand my driving technique and the problem has disappeared.
Perhaps you could employ one or the other of these solutions, worth a try.

Mike
ORKHIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-02-2010, 12:28   #12
wilddog

Well some good news, gagged the wife and its so quiet in the car now....no seriously, I checked each shock absorber and found the passenger side could be compressed with just my fingers? the drivers side was ok......new gas adjustable shocks from Sussex classics and now no noise, no squeak or creek..........fitted these today in the rain. One nightmare was the passenger side top absorber nut had been fastened all the way down? and had to split the nut/dremel with cutting discs, good laugh that was...anyway this may be my solution to this issue but the old shocks not working came as a shocker

Old 18-02-2010, 17:26   #13
Disgusted

Car: Austin Metro, Rover 216 Cabriolet (K-series), Rover 216 GSi, Rover 200, Sherpa camper van
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
the old shocks not working came as a shocker
Badum-tish!

Well done and thanks for letting us know what it was
Disgusted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-02-2010, 18:00   #14
dab06
Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to dab06 Send a message via Skype™ to dab06
I know this sounds silky but bear with me. Check your wing mirror isn't loose. I had this problem fitted new shocks just had a re gas so wasn't that.

One day ended up by chance holding the wing mirror whilst driving and hey presto tightened screws and no more squeak.

Drove me mad fir months as well
dab06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-02-2010, 18:26   #15
wilddog

cheers m8ty, i had read your earlier forum of the squeaky door mirror and this was one of the 1st things i did, not loose, but worth keeping this in mind it to eliminate that possibility as a cheap fix, so many thanks for that tip

next job rectifying the left hand self drive at low speeds, read the sticky on repairs looks like another day with the car and a glue gun, but will wait until the weather is dry.

Thanks again to all who offered great advice and hope....

Last edited by wilddog; 18-02-2010 at 18:33.

Old 18-02-2010, 18:44   #16
MGFmad
Never forgotten

Car: Astra CDX auto, Freelander TD4 & Freelander 1.8, Mini One
Send a message via MSN to MGFmad
Glad you got it fixed
MGFmad is offline   Reply With Quote