anti roll bar bushes - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ)

Old 14-03-2010, 17:57   #1
st3v3

Car: MG TF
anti roll bar bushes

ive done a search for these on here but seem to find no one with any issues with them,can this be true??

Anywho, if any one can tell me if they are easy to fit or even pictures of where they are, maybe if they are on a crossmember or something?

Id be greatfull.

thanks
steve.
st3v3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-03-2010, 19:17   #2
Petevick

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
if you don't know where they are, what makes you think they need replacing
Petevick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-03-2010, 19:23   #3
Ima-mechanicnow

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
ive done a search for these on here but seem to find no one with any issues with them,can this be true??

Anywho, if any one can tell me if they are easy to fit or even pictures of where they are, maybe if they are on a crossmember or something?

Id be greatfull.

thanks
steve.
Hi mate,

replaced mine front and rear with poly bushes. Anti roll bar is the 22mm or so diameter bar of which there is one at the front and another at the rear.

They front is obvious and goes between each wheel. Held in place by the drop link off each front hub. it is held underneath the body of the car by 2 brackets. very easy t replace - 6 bolts in total.

The rear one attach to the rear drop links but goes on top but behind the exhaust. again held by a bolt on each drop link and 2 brackets. This one is a bit more difficult but not significantly.
Ima-mechanicnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-03-2010, 19:36   #4
st3v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petevick View Post
if you don't know where they are, what makes you think they need replacing
Ok smarty pant, i do know where they should be but never having a TF up on ramps im not sure exactly where they are, It does of coarse mean they could be on the front crossmember or on a crossmember at the rear od the front clam.

The symptoms of a light rattle on the front end when you go over speed bumps, the exact problem i had on two other cars, which when i replaced the ARB's went away seem to be on the TF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima-mechanicnow View Post
Hi mate,

replaced mine front and rear with poly bushes. Anti roll bar is the 22mm or so diameter bar of which there is one at the front and another at the rear.

They front is obvious and goes between each wheel. Held in place by the drop link off each front hub. it is held underneath the body of the car by 2 brackets. very easy t replace - 6 bolts in total.

The rear one attach to the rear drop links but goes on top but behind the exhaust. again held by a bolt on each drop link and 2 brackets. This one is a bit more difficult but not significantly.

Thanks, did you replace them whilst the ARB was in place or take the whole lot off ?
Asin the past on other cars when i have replaced ARB's you can do one side then the other,without removing anything more than just the bush clamp.

Old 14-03-2010, 19:49   #5
Ima-mechanicnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
Ok smarty pant, i do know where they should be but never having a TF up on ramps im not sure exactly where they are, It does of coarse mean they could be on the front crossmember or on a crossmember at the rear od the front clam.

The symptoms of a light rattle on the front end when you go over speed bumps, the exact problem i had on two other cars, which when i replaced the ARB's went away seem to be on the TF.

Thanks, did you replace them whilst the ARB was in place or take the whole lot off ?
Asin the past on other cars when i have replaced ARB's you can do one side then the other,without removing anything more than just the bush clamp.
I actually had the ARB off for some other work. but you could get away with loosening the drop link to ARB bolt. The ARB would then swivel down from the body when you loosen the brackets. Becareful as I think the ARB is under tension, I had a trolly jack to support when puttingg mine back on.

But even if you didn't do that think the front would still be possible - just more difficult.

I think it would depend on the replacement bush. My polys had a "split" in them so could fit over the ARB. If your replacements don't they will have to go over the ends and hence have to take off the bolts at the drop link.
Ima-mechanicnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-03-2010, 20:26   #6
st3v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima-mechanicnow View Post
I actually had the ARB off for some other work. but you could get away with loosening the drop link to ARB bolt. The ARB would then swivel down from the body when you loosen the brackets. Becareful as I think the ARB is under tension, I had a trolly jack to support when puttingg mine back on.

But even if you didn't do that think the front would still be possible - just more difficult.

I think it would depend on the replacement bush. My polys had a "split" in them so could fit over the ARB. If your replacements don't they will have to go over the ends and hence have to take off the bolts at the drop link.
Yeah im thinking of Poly's as theyre only 16 odd from ebay and do have the split in them, if i did one side at a time im sure,like in other instances i would still beable to do it in situ.

Thanks pal.

Old 15-03-2010, 19:32   #7
Petevick

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
first thing, my question was to get a better understanding of your problem so as to give a more informed answer, I was NOT trying to be a smart arse.

second, the TF has sub frames front and rear, the ARB is attached to that and drop links off the bottom arm, see here for an exploded view and p/n's.

third, I don't think it will be the ARB, unless the bushes have fallen out, check the track rod ends for play, its amazing how much rattle they cause when worn.
Petevick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-03-2010, 20:55   #8
Pendle Lass

Car: BCAWW - Sunspot Yellow TF, Monty - Typhoon 160 TF - Fizz 160 TF - white with purple leather interior
Send a message via MSN to Pendle Lass
Mine were found to be slightly worn last week, so is in the plan to replace them soon. At least now I know what they are......
Pendle Lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-03-2010, 12:49   #9
Sam Luck
Just call me Sambob!

Car: Mini Cooper S 1.6 Turbo
Just bumping this as I bought some rear and front bushes and the rear ones fitted perfectly. When it came to fitting the front ones, the hole size for the new bushes was too small. Anybody else experienced this?
Sam Luck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-03-2010, 13:03   #10
gotenks1321
Da da da da daaaaaaaaa...

Car: BRG MGF VVC & Charcoal MGF VVC
Garages
Send a message via MSN to gotenks1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Luck View Post
Just bumping this as I bought some rear and front bushes and the rear ones fitted perfectly. When it came to fitting the front ones, the hole size for the new bushes was too small. Anybody else experienced this?
Are the fronts different sizes to the rear? I've fitted polybushes to my rear (no smart comments please ) but not got round to doing the fronts yet. The bar's off the car so I'll check them tonight
gotenks1321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-03-2010, 15:12   #11
Sam Luck
Just call me Sambob!

Yeah the bushes are different sizes. The rear bushes are 0.75 inch and the supplied front ones are 0.6 inch. The actual roll bar measures 0.78inches front and rear.

Old 22-03-2010, 17:19   #12
gotenks1321

Garages
Sorry, what I mean was are both AR bars the same size but you already answered that anyway Sounds like the supplier messed up somewhere or someone's changed your AR bar at some point for some reason

Old 22-03-2010, 17:47   #13
Sam Luck
Just call me Sambob!

Think they've changed the bar.

Old 22-03-2010, 17:56   #14
gotenks1321

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Luck View Post
Think they've changed the bar.
Nope, my front one is 0.78 inches across of 2.5 all the way round so the same size

Old 22-03-2010, 19:15   #15
Sam Luck
Just call me Sambob!

OK. Thanks Dan, will look into it.

Old 22-03-2010, 19:32   #16
Sam Luck
Just call me Sambob!

Now solved it. Backs are 18mm and the fronts should be 20mm, but they sent us 16mm instead! Being sent back tomorrow.

Old 22-08-2010, 22:02   #17
g7nbp

I had the reverse problem, fronts are about(!) right, but the rears were about 4mm too small. Bought from Deflex (now not an ebay seller - draw your own conclusions). Ive put the originals back for now, but ordered a replacement set from Mike Satur.

Analogies of peanuts and monkies are almost certainly applicable. feel free to flame as you wish.
g7nbp is offline   Reply With Quote