Induction Kit for an MG ZS 180 - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400

Old 23-05-2010, 22:22   #1
colscoob

Car: MG ZS
Induction Kit for an MG ZS 180

Hi,

Im thinking about buying an induction KIT for my 180. Any recomendations as there seems to be some difference between the sub 100 pound K & N and the sub 200 pound pipercross one.

Thanks,
Colin.
colscoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-05-2010, 22:44   #2
Hangaku

Car: ZS 180 Mk1 Nightfire
From what I've read in the last few days, the K&N / Pipercross inductions kits for the ZS180 are pretty much a waste of money, because they sit unshielded in the engine bay, and soak up all the hot air (unless you modify the install yourself).

However, from what else I have read on various forums, if you want an all-in-one kit that is worth spending some money on, it's the ITG Maxogen that you want to go for. I've found it here:

http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/301_54...ion_system.htm

I've not tried it myself but I'm in the market for one, so I'm doing a lot of reading before any spending!
Hangaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-05-2010, 08:02   #3
colscoob

Car: MG ZS
Thanks. I wont be buying anythign right away but the Kit you showed me looks pretty good. I'd be interested to see how you get on with it if you end up going for it.

Thanks,
Colin
colscoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-05-2010, 08:49   #4
Captain Slow

Car: S1 Elise 111S/Streetwise VVC
I've got an ITG on mine-I'd thoroughly recommend it.

It's a pricey kit (I think I paid around 350 for mine) but it fits perfectly, everything is neat and it makes a lovely noise! Not too chavvy like an open cone but over 3,000rpm it's got a proper touring car style howl.

My car ran 189bhp on Torque of the Devil's (in Uxbridge) rolling road-a Dyno Dynamics unit famed for it's lack of generousity (spelling!?)...

Bear in mind it's a bit of a pain to fit-it's made a lot easier having a ramp, although not impossible on axle stands.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-05-2010, 12:45   #5
stamford

Car: MG ZS200, TD5 Discovery, MGF SE 1.8i Wedgewood
Save your money as the main three induction set-ups that work well on the 180 are the ITG Maxogen, expensive but bespoke. Then the BMC CDA which will need some pipework and lastly the open cone situated in the inner wing, again requiring hoses and pipes. All these will give around 10bhp more if executed correctly. I have the BMC fitted, has been on for over 4 years and has been faultless and just requires the normal servicing.

Prior to remapping mine acheived 191bhp coupled with a decat and Janspeed system, so worked for me.

The two you mentioned in post #1 are no good unless you want the noise and can afford to waste fuel.
stamford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-05-2010, 14:48   #6
lawrence-zs180

Car: Mk1 MG ZS 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Save your money as the main three induction set-ups that work well on the 180 are the ITG Maxogen, expensive but bespoke. Then the BMC CDA which will need some pipework and lastly the open cone situated in the inner wing, again requiring hoses and pipes. All these will give around 10bhp more if executed correctly. I have the BMC fitted, has been on for over 4 years and has been faultless and just requires the normal servicing.

Prior to remapping mine acheived 191bhp coupled with a decat and Janspeed system, so worked for me.

The two you mentioned in post #1 are no good unless you want the noise and can afford to waste fuel.
Sorry to hijack this thread but where did you get your 180 chipped??

I just got myself a BMC and when the new inlet manifold is fitted on wed Im gonna fit it along with a catch tank.
Anyway from what I can see a pipercross viper is a enclosed unit but on top of the 180 you will need a 90 degree elbow to fit it anyway because I dont think there is enough room to just 'bolt' it on so by the time you have got the hose your nearly looking at BMC money anyway.
lawrence-zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25-05-2010, 13:04   #7
stamford

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-zs180 View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread but where did you get your 180 chipped??

I just got myself a BMC and when the new inlet manifold is fitted on wed Im gonna fit it along with a catch tank.
Anyway from what I can see a pipercross viper is a enclosed unit but on top of the 180 you will need a 90 degree elbow to fit it anyway because I dont think there is enough room to just 'bolt' it on so by the time you have got the hose your nearly looking at BMC money anyway.
Reidyremaps did mine, highly recommended, I was the guinea pig as it were

Spend wisely on the induction, a good kit and install is well worth the time, money and effort put in. Cold air feed is key too.

Old 25-05-2010, 13:19   #8
lawrence-zs180

Quote:

Spend wisely on the induction, a good kit and install is well worth the time, money and effort put in. Cold air feed is key too.
Cheers, what sort of figures did you get out of it?

Totally agree about the induction as well.

Old 25-05-2010, 14:07   #9
Captain Slow

Car: S1 Elise 111S/Streetwise VVC
Quote:

They only list remaps for diesel vehicles on their website...

How much did it set you back and are they good basically? as I'm thinking of having mine done.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25-05-2010, 14:31   #10
lawrence-zs180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
They only list remaps for diesel vehicles on their website...

How much did it set you back and are they good basically? as I'm thinking of having mine done.
Sent them a email and got a reply saying they did custom rolling road remaps to forum members for 220.. winner!

Old 25-05-2010, 20:37   #11
stamford

Matt Reidy is on here, goes under the username pocketbike_uk I think. He knows his stuff and we spent all day on mine with around 7 dyno runs to achieve 200 on 95RON which wasn't bad. I shall be going back to Matt to get it remapped for 98RON when I have finished a few jobs on my ZS. Last time I was still using the zed for the daily commute, now it is occassional use and now stripped for track use so can afford to tweak it for better grade of fuel.