Rover 45 immobiliser left us immobile - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400

Old 04-07-2010, 18:01   #1
Glen B

Car: Rover 45
Question Rover 45 immobiliser left us immobile

This is the first time we have been on here but I am a member of Rover 75 website.

We bought a 2005 45 facelift model 1.6 petrol in April and it has been no trouble at all until yesterday. As we didn't have time to wash the car ourselves, we called in at a hand car wash where we have been before and had no bother. We left the car unlocked and my wife took the keys out while it was being washed and then cleaned inside. The car wash people opened and closed the doors and boot lid ( boot lid using the key fob button ) a few times. When we got back in to drive away the alarm came on and we couldn't start the car. We looked in the owners handbook which said we could reset the immobiliser using the code number ( presumably the one on the small metal tag on our key fob ) using the key in the drivers door lock turning towards the unlock position the number of turns of the first digit of the code and then towards the lock position the number of turns of the second code digit and so on. However, before we could finish this, the alarm went off. We tried a few times and finally decided to call our Green Flag number. Although the recovery driver had come only to load the car and take us home he tried to reset by removing the battery for 10 minutes, checked the fuses related the the immobiliser, but gave up and took us home. We have called a local auto electrician who is supposed to be coming to look at the car tomorrow.

Does anyone know the likely cause of this problem? I suspected that it was caused by the key being removed and then opening/closing doors and bootlid as I normally leave the key in at the hand car wash but perhaps this is just coincidental?

Any info or help would be appreciated. If the auto electrician sorts it I will put it on this site for other members incase its helpful to anyone who has a similar problem.
Glen B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 18:53   #2
henocsr

Car: MG ZS 180
does the remote work the centrol locking still?
Did the man from green flag check that the car battery is not flat (caused by the doors and boot being left open when washed and hovered?
a flat car battery will cause alarm problems as the voltage maybe to low for the ecu to reconise the remote
henocsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 19:19   #3
ts autos
Trader Supporter

Car: MG Express (Van)
Garages
The metal tab is the key cutting number not the eka, and the eka's don't work on the later scu's like yours
TS Autos - I do everything apart from paint and bodywork, I excel in trim, mechanical and electrical faults on all models, but know ZT/75's every nut and bolt quite literally. Please PM me if you need a part or work doing to your car! location as requested Midlands Area DY8 1XQ
www.tsautos.com
ts autos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 19:21   #4
graphic

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
The metal tag on the keyring is the key number not the EKA code.

The EKA code should be with your original paperwork, usually on a credit card affair. When you find the EKA number enter it as shown in the hand book and you should then be able to drive the car at least, it may even allow you to re-set the system.
graphic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 19:37   #5
Glen B

Not got the EKA, have looked through everything and the only number we have is on the keys.

Does anyone know how we can get the EKA? Once we get the EKA does this sort everything out and the car will be ok?

Old 04-07-2010, 20:20   #6
Glen B

Have got the EKA code from IRC UK and put it in but when we went to start the car it is still immobilised. But this time after we put the code in the alarm did not go off as before.

Thanks for the previous replies.

Old 04-07-2010, 20:24   #7
ts autos
Trader Supporter

Car: MG Express (Van)
Garages
I did say the eka wouldn't work, where are you location wise
TS Autos - I do everything apart from paint and bodywork, I excel in trim, mechanical and electrical faults on all models, but know ZT/75's every nut and bolt quite literally. Please PM me if you need a part or work doing to your car! location as requested Midlands Area DY8 1XQ
www.tsautos.com
ts autos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 21:08   #8
Glen B

We are near Mansfield, Notts

Old 05-07-2010, 12:18   #9
Glen B

Smile

The auto electrician has just gone. He found that it wasn't the immobiliser at all but the impact switch had been caught ( propably with the vacuum cleaner attachment while it was being cleaned ) and had shut off the fuel supply. The electrician noticed it while looking for alarm unit, etc. 50 for electrician. 17 for using website to find correct code after finding out via this site that the metal tag with our keys is NOT the security code. At least now if we set off our alarm/immobiliser, we will have the correct code to reset the alarm.

Take care when cleaning in the car not to catch the impact switch which can be seen from looking behind the centre console from the direction of the drivers door. Once again thanks for all the replies.

Old 05-07-2010, 14:44   #10
graphic

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
I suppose the car valet company are picking up the tab as they caused all the problems??
graphic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 17:04   #11
Glen B

The next time I go in I will mention what the cause was to the staff at the car wash. They are usually very helpful and when I told them that i would have to go home ( 3 miles ) to get what i thought was our code number, they lent me one of their cars to fetch it. I expect that they will be sympathetic and perhaps I will get 50 of free washes? The other 17.50 I spent on finding the correct alarm code I would have spent if I found out I didn't have the alarm code anyway for future reference.