odd noise from engine - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise

Old 13-10-2010, 17:34   #1
Beatdown

Car: MG ZR MK3
odd noise from engine

Hi, i just recently got myself a ZR 105+

but it came with a few problems as im finding out NOW after buying it!

the problem i have atm is the noise coming from the injection system. long after my car has been switched off it emits a high pitched constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. rather annoying while working on the car, although not tooooooo loud its distractable in volume.

other than that it makes a sort of crackle or valve opening noise after the engine is switched off for up to 20 seconds.

on a side note... does having a headlight bulb out = fail on the MOT?
if so that garage have got some explaining to do
Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-10-2010, 19:58   #2
418sld

Car: '04 Fiat Stilo + '75 850 Mini
Cool

Not sure about your beep noise, the other one sounds like to idle valve resetting - they all do it, some are noisey some are'nt. Yes, It would fail for a headlamp bulb. Trouble is, they can blow anytime so may have been OK for the test and went when you tried it.
418sld is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-10-2010, 08:07   #3
Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 418sld View Post
Not sure about your beep noise, the other one sounds like to idle valve resetting - they all do it, some are noisey some are'nt. Yes, It would fail for a headlamp bulb. Trouble is, they can blow anytime so may have been OK for the test and went when you tried it.
thank you for re assuring me on that one. i wonder what the beep could be? cos it seems to be coming from the same place

-edit-

problem solved! with some help of gooooogle
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=61415

Old 14-10-2010, 08:59   #4
craig8661

Car: 2 rover 75 tourers one auto and one manual
mine does it but at least i kno what it is now.
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-10-2010, 18:36   #5
Beatdown

actually this mornin it happened again the clicking, an i hadent driven the car in hours!, i just opened the bonnet to change my washer jets.

the beeping noise tho...
earlier while i disconnected the battery to change a lightbulb the noise stopped
then when reconnecting it i heard a nice computer beep on noise, that made me feel like something had switched on an was working

ahhhh car noises

Old 14-10-2010, 19:07   #6
pete l

Car: 25, 75, MG ZR and MG TF
they all do it, forget about it, it goes off after 5 minutes, something to do with the idle control valve on the inlet manifold.
pete l is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-10-2010, 19:21   #7
Greig300

Car: Rover 25
The ECU makes a humming noise after the cars been turned off. The crackling noise is normal also.
Greig300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-10-2010, 19:49   #8
Thingamajigs

I was under the impression that it was caused by dirt in the Idle Air Control Valve, or a IACV on its last legs.

I blasted a load of WD40 in it but eh, it did nowt. And as i lacked the tools to properly remove it, i just forgot about it.

But yes, mine too gives off a constant faint beep, and it also randomly starts "crackling" when the car engine has been off for a while. I honestly think this is a sign of a faulty/dying IACV
Thingamajigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-10-2010, 08:22   #9
Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajigs View Post
I was under the impression that it was caused by dirt in the Idle Air Control Valve, or a IACV on its last legs.

I blasted a load of WD40 in it but eh, it did nowt. And as i lacked the tools to properly remove it, i just forgot about it.

But yes, mine too gives off a constant faint beep, and it also randomly starts "crackling" when the car engine has been off for a while. I honestly think this is a sign of a faulty/dying IACV
that has got me worried now. would that have been picked up on an MOT ?

Old 15-10-2010, 09:37   #10
pete l

Car: 25, 75, MG ZR and MG TF
it is 100% normal. they all do it. if it doesn't do it then you can start to worry.

Turn on your ignition then turn it off, under the bonnet you will hear a high pitched noise for about five minutes after which the idle valve will crackle, buzz, make a noise and the high pitch noise will stop.
pete l is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-10-2010, 12:02   #11
Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete l View Post
it is 100% normal. they all do it. if it doesn't do it then you can start to worry.

Turn on your ignition then turn it off, under the bonnet you will hear a high pitched noise for about five minutes after which the idle valve will crackle, buzz, make a noise and the high pitch noise will stop.
thats all very well and good but the crackle happens randomly, not only after i switch off the engine. and the beep goes on for a very long time, tho im not as concerned with the beep as i am with the crackle

Old 15-10-2010, 18:53   #12
Thingamajigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatdown View Post
thats all very well and good but the crackle happens randomly, not only after i switch off the engine. and the beep goes on for a very long time, tho im not as concerned with the beep as i am with the crackle
Well i did unplug it once, and with the IACV unplugged the engines idle is much higher. So mine can't be dead yet.

You could try it on yours, if your engine doesn't behave differently with it unplugged,i'm sure it's safe to assume the noises are part of it's normal functioning.

I know it's odd, though. My Rover 25 is the first Rover i've ever had, and when i brought it, the previous seller had the IACV unplugged - perhaps feared potential buyers would be concerned with its noises.

Frankly i don't blame them, though. I'd do the same.
Thingamajigs is offline   Reply With Quote