45 diesel won't turn over - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Ask The Gurus! - Help and Advice Forums > Diesel Forum!

Old 22-11-2010, 16:08   #1
newbieboy

Car: Rover 45
Angry 45 diesel won't turn over

Be grateful for some advice on this.

Over the last week or so my car has shown signs of a failing battery - on one occasion I had to jump start it. I ordered a new battery over the weekend which should arrive in a day or two. However, went out to it this morning and it turned over a few times but didn't start - same as before with the solenoid clicking. Got a spare battery and hooked it up to the car via jump leads. When I tried to start it the engine now didn't turn over at all - the ignition lights come on but when the key is turned to start it just goes dead. It does the same without the auxiliary battery connected and also when I connected it via the jump leads to another car.

What could have happened? I guess starter motor or solenoid, but it was perfectly fine before the battery problem.
newbieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-11-2010, 16:38   #2
ron-de-derv

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
starter motor

hi mate, is it a single click? my starter motor went last year, i tried a solonoid refurb kit bought online (just some new internal copper contacts and plunger), after p-ing about for an hour i finally got it all back together but was rewarded with that dreaded click (more of a knock), so that was a waste of 10 plus postage, so best bet is to take the starter motor off, pull and turn the sprocket to see it it spins without any sort of roughness or grinding, a new motor will set you back bout 120, hope this helps.
ron-de-derv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-11-2010, 16:47   #3
newbieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron-de-derv View Post
hi mate, is it a single click? my starter motor went last year, i tried a solonoid refurb kit bought online (just some new internal copper contacts and plunger), after p-ing about for an hour i finally got it all back together but was rewarded with that dreaded click (more of a knock), so that was a waste of 10 plus postage, so best bet is to take the starter motor off, pull and turn the sprocket to see it it spins without any sort of roughness or grinding, a new motor will set you back bout 120, hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. There's not really a click at all, when the ignition key is turned then nothing happens apart from the radio and clock lights going straight off.

Old 22-11-2010, 17:12   #4
E_T_V

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Check you have not burnt out or broken the earth cable (either to the chassis or to the gearbox) - The one to the front slam panel is a favourite.

If not that then check the small spade connector on the starter motor.

If you can feel the starter motor click when someone tries to start the car then it'll need a starter motor rebuild (see my website for info). If not then check the car electrics first.
E_T_V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-11-2010, 19:38   #5
newbieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_T_V View Post
Check you have not burnt out or broken the earth cable (either to the chassis or to the gearbox) - The one to the front slam panel is a favourite.

If you can feel the starter motor click when someone tries to start the car then it'll need a starter motor rebuild (see my website for info). If not then check the car electrics first.
Thanks for your help. I'll check those things in the morning.

Old 22-11-2010, 22:01   #6
stevexyg

Car: 02 45
Radio and clock lights going off??? Sounds like batt is totally dead.

IF it's not that you have wiring problems. A dodgy starter won't make your electrics fail so look elsewhere. You can remove non-essential fuses from various circuits to narrow down fault eg remove lights, heater fuses etc and see if car starts then replace a fuse and see if it starts again. Repeat.

You may also have fried your ecu so that is something to check if you can't trace a wiring fault.
stevexyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-11-2010, 07:26   #7
newbieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevexyg View Post
Radio and clock lights going off??? Sounds like batt is totally dead.

IF it's not that you have wiring problems. A dodgy starter won't make your electrics fail so look elsewhere. You can remove non-essential fuses from various circuits to narrow down fault eg remove lights, heater fuses etc and see if car starts then replace a fuse and see if it starts again. Repeat.

You may also have fried your ecu so that is something to check if you can't trace a wiring fault.
The battery isn't totally dead because all electrics operate apart from when I try to start it - even the electric windows operate. The radio and clock lights go off when I operate the starter - it is the same when I connect another battery to mine via jump leads. Could a faulty ECU stop the car from turning over?

Old 23-11-2010, 10:43   #8
boothy90

Car: Missing my ZR TD.. TF next on my list :)
I'd still say check your Earth cables and make sure the connections on the battery are clean and tight. I had this problem too and it was a very slightly loose battery connection.
boothy90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-11-2010, 13:42   #9
newbieboy

Smile

Quote:

Checked it this morning , after cleaning the spade connector on the starter motor it turned over straight away. Thank goodness that was it all it was.

Many thanks to everyone for the fantastic help, advice and suggestions. This is a terrific forum with the most incredibly helpful people.

Old 23-11-2010, 16:51   #10
stevexyg

Good stuff. However there's no way on earth that could have been the cause of your clock and radio going off!

Old 23-11-2010, 17:25   #11
E_T_V

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Quote:
Good stuff. However there's no way on earth that could have been the cause of your clock and radio going off!
True, but you do realise that the electrical system is designed to remove the power to pretty much every system when the engine is cranked. Radio, heater, clock etc etc.
E_T_V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-11-2010, 17:53   #12
newbieboy

Smile

Quote:
True, but you do realise that the electrical system is designed to remove the power to pretty much every system when the engine is cranked. Radio, heater, clock etc etc.
Just to add one final thing to this thread with regard to the above. You are quite correct - and I have just checked this now that my car is sorted - when the engine is cranked the radio and clock go off. So, in the details that I gave regarding my starter problems, that bit of information was a red herring. The problem was purely and simply the spade connector on the starter, the radio and clock lights going off was not part of the problem but simply normal operation.

Old 24-11-2010, 19:39   #13
stevexyg

Thumbs up

Cool got ya. They way you described it I obviously thought you meant 'off' permanently but it was just when 'cranking' which your car was trying to do at the time. Defo a classic red herring and one to remember! You will know exactly what to do next time this happens - unless you have smothered the spade in petroleum jelly in which case it shouldn't happen again

Old 24-11-2010, 22:22   #14
newbieboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Cool got ya. They way you described it I obviously thought you meant 'off' permanently but it was just when 'cranking' which your car was trying to do at the time. Defo a classic red herring and one to remember! You will know exactly what to do next time this happens - unless you have smothered the spade in petroleum jelly in which case it shouldn't happen again
Yes, apologies, I obviously didn't explain things as well as I might have done!

Old 24-11-2010, 23:25   #15
stevexyg

Cool

I'll let you off this time dude but DON'T DO IT AGAIN OKAY??!