mg6 200bhp? - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG 6 (Sponsored by the MG Car Club)

Old 05-07-2011, 16:10   #1
jaffo

Car: Saab 93 aero sportwagon ttid 180 & mg zr trophy se
mg6 200bhp?

158bhp seems quite a conservative figure for such a well balanced and great handling car as the mg6 and i wonder how much potential there is for mild tuning of the engine(i.e chipping it) to take it up around 200 bhp which would match the octavia vrs?

i wouldnt of thought that a fairly mild extra 40 bhp wouldnt be difficult to attain and would still leave decent reliability and economy?

Last edited by jaffo; 05-07-2011 at 16:37.
jaffo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 16:23   #2
david87
Supporter

Car: 62 Chevvy Aveo LTZ 1.3 VCDi, 07 cooper s jcw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo View Post
158bhp seems quite a conservative figure for such a well balanced and great handling car as the mg6 and i wonder how much potential there is for mild tuning of the engine(i.e chipping it) to take it up around 200 bhp which would match the octavia vrs?

i wouldnt of thought that a fairly mild extra bhp wouldnt be difficult to attain and would still leave decent reliability and economy?

i'd imagine the current figure is an insurance thing, given its low cost is one of the things the mg6 has going for it

though there is the 2lt to come, look to that and hope
david87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 16:37   #3
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david87 View Post
i'd imagine the current figure is an insurance thing, given its low cost is one of the things the mg6 has going for it

though there is the 2lt to come, look to that and hope
i was sort of thinking post purchase......

Old 05-07-2011, 16:49   #4
Phil

Car: CityRover
You won't get a huge increase by chipping it, petrols don't respond to fuelling changes like diesels do. It'll add 5 maybe 10bhp at the very most.

The only way I can see of getting that much from this engine is by fitting a bigger turbo, but given that it's based on the K series there's always that HG issue (even though we've been assured it's been sorted).
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 16:51   #5
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
You won't get a huge increase by chipping it, petrols don't respond to fuelling changes like diesels do. It'll add 5 maybe 10bhp at the very most.

The only way I can see of getting that much from this engine is by fitting a bigger turbo, but given that it's based on the K series there's always that HG issue (even though we've been assured it's been sorted).
i would agree with a naturally aspirated engine but the 6 is turbo charged and as such there will quite a large potential for extra power there....even with a lpt turbo(and im not sure what type is in the 6)...

Old 05-07-2011, 16:53   #6
great_kahn

Car: Focus
Quote:

Its a turbo petrol, compleltely different story to a nasp petrol.

Did some reading on the low pressure turbo 1.8 k series, seems 180bhp was realistic figure. Imagine MG6 would be similar.
great_kahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 18:14   #7
radion_auto

Asteroids Champion!
Car: MG ZR 160TDi
Send a message via MSN to radion_auto
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_kahn View Post
Its a turbo petrol, compleltely different story to a nasp petrol.

Did some reading on the low pressure turbo 1.8 k series, seems 180bhp was realistic figure. Imagine MG6 would be similar.
Totally agree GK. Force-fed gassers should have plenty of tuning potential. If you compare to the old 1.8K turbo, that has been taken to about 190bhp i believe. This new engine is apparently much stronger, at least in the gasket area, although the pistons etc are an unknown quantity.

I bet it would be rock solid at 180bhp at you suggest, a simple remap from your friendly local remapper should do it
radion_auto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 22:07   #8
Peterover

Car: Rover Streetvan: Gimp. MG TF 115 Sunstorm: Rosie. Smart Roadster: Rodie
The current engine in the MG6 will disapear late next year, when its replaced with the new petrol and diesel units. IIRC
Peterover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 22:36   #9
Stevo135+

Car: Other Manufacturer
You could quite probably take the latest K-series/N-series or whatever it's called this week, up to 200bhp with the right mods and enough mods. Im not thinking of a simple re-map with more boost as we know that:

1, VVC160 pistons were the basis of the factory K-turbo, and they are not happy much over 180-190bhp long term.

2, The non VVC head is very restrictive on the 1800cc engine, and with the turbo this is going to be even more of an issue breathing wise.

A full turbo back 2.5" de-cat exhaust, panel filter and a bigger I/C would be my first mods to an MG6. Then id look at seeing what potential there is in the std ECU for re-programming. I suspect that it's going to be far less tunable than MEMS3 if at all?

I'd also look at flowing the head, and porting the inlet ports to match a VVC inlet manifold and 52mm throttlebody to the head. There is probably some improvements to be made with porting and port matching the turbo exhaust manifold too.

We have to assume that the old K-series VVC head cannot be bolted onto the new engine, and they don't use this head for the new engine's which is a shame as it would have added about 15-20bhp at the same boost level as std!

If all the above were done to an MG6 engine, then as per the old K-turbo's you could be looking at 200bhp at close to std boost levels and using the std turbo. Putting a bigger turbo on would definately help push past 200bhp if you could tune the ECU, and could accept a big more lag and a slightly higher boost threashold.
Stevo135+ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 06:45   #10
forehead

Car: Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
170hp diesel would be a better seller and miles more fun than a 200hp petrol.

Concentrate on sellers not niche.
forehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 10:42   #11
Smoggie

Car: MG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by forehead View Post

I believe they are doing both. Nothing wrong with that.
Smoggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 11:37   #12
MalcQV

Car: Alfa Romeo GT 1.9JTDm
Quote:
Originally Posted by forehead View Post

Nahh the petrol will be the true petrolheads car. Diesels are for ploughing fields and shifting farm animals
MalcQV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 11:45   #13
great_kahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Nahh the petrol will be the true petrolheads car. Diesels are for ploughing fields and shifting farm animals
Indeed.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:47   #14
MalcQV

Car: Alfa Romeo GT 1.9JTDm
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_kahn View Post
Indeed.

It has the scoop on the front ready to lift the dung.
MalcQV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 11:53   #15
lordpercy

Car: Rover 75 connoisseur SE 1.8T auto
i personally think you will not get much xtra power out of this engine, and what you would spend is just not worth it.

lets face it, it base based on the euro4 development ZT's k series etc (contrary to what they say), same power/torque etc
and even with the HG sorted it still is to me quite a fragile engine.

and how many of us owners have got anything more out the ZT 1.8T, a bet not even a handfull.

might even be cheaper to fit a ZT V6...would it fit on the engine mounts?
(are the 1.8 and 2.5 mounts the same?
lordpercy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 11:57   #16
great_kahn

Hopefully the new 2.0 petrol they are developing will be stronger. 2.0 TFSI VAG unit can handle 400bhp on stock internals. That is what they should be aiming for.

Get some serious power going to match the chassis and handling

Old 06-07-2011, 11:57   #17
great_kahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
It has the scoop on the front ready to lift the dung.
Ooooh arrrr.

Old 06-07-2011, 13:26   #18
radion_auto

Asteroids Champion!
Car: MG ZR 160TDi
Send a message via MSN to radion_auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordpercy View Post
i personally think you will not get much xtra power out of this engine, and what you would spend is just not worth it.

lets face it, it base based on the euro4 development ZT's k series etc (contrary to what they say), same power/torque etc
and even with the HG sorted it still is to me quite a fragile engine.

and how many of us owners have got anything more out the ZT 1.8T, a bet not even a handfull.

might even be cheaper to fit a ZT V6...would it fit on the engine mounts?
(are the 1.8 and 2.5 mounts the same?
Apparently its a completely new development, albeit based on the K series design. I'd put money on it being able to handle 180bhp, with a fairly modest investment.

Much as i love the V6, it's a thirsty engine and still only 190bhp after all the money spent on the conversion. Plus the engine has little tuning potential.

the N-turbo-kavachi-tech-tech etc etc can't be any less tunable than the 1.8K turbo surely...?
radion_auto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 15:52   #19
jaffo

i was actually thinking that 250.00 of tuning box/chip to make an easy 180/190bhp would be an attractive route to go down,not a factory special or a 400 bhp tinderbox.....just a little more go which would be nice and probably not do the economy much harm either......

Old 06-07-2011, 16:20   #20
forehead

Car: Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie View Post
I believe they are doing both. Nothing wrong with that.
Indeed and I'd bet you know which would be the bigger seller.

I'd estimate at least 5:1 if not as much as 10:1
forehead is offline   Reply With Quote