MG6 sales figures so far - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG 6 (Sponsored by the MG Car Club)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 02:42   #1
WarrenL

Car: 1972 Rover 3500, 2014 MG6 GT, 2000 Rover 75 2.5V6 Connoisseur SE
MG6 sales figures so far

Click on the link to find an interesting figure or two:

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2011/...at-its-highest
WarrenL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-07-2011, 09:22   #2
JoeyTaffy93

Car: '56 BMW 530d M Sport, '54 MG ZT 160+, '51 MG ZR 120+
Send a message via MSN to JoeyTaffy93
Still an increase in sale. Hopefully we will see more increased. Either way interesting figures in there!

Thanks for the link.
JoeyTaffy93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 24-07-2011, 18:51   #3
preetoo

Car: Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec S, Alfa Romeo MiTo 135 Sportiva
I think MG Motor bosses will be very concerned by these figures if they turn out to be correct. There has been a fair marketing push behind the relaunch, and while nobody was expecting a stellar take off, less than 100 sales after the first two months is disappointing. Where is the AVIS order for 500 cars? We need the MG3 quicksmart, plus the diesel 6 of course.

The lack of a diesel will be hurting potential sales, but there are plenty of private buyers out there looking for a family sized petrol-powered motor. Given the UK's propensity for hatchbacks, it's doubtful the Magnette will make any significant headway if the general take up is low. And will many private buyers really want to take a punt on a car with a 25% residual value after three years?

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011...ing-the-books/

My MG masochism has still got me gripped though - I'm saving up to get a GT TSE by the end of the year... Do I need my head examined???
preetoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 24-07-2011, 21:22   #4
radion_auto

Asteroids Champion!
Car: MG ZR 160TDi
Send a message via MSN to radion_auto
I've still not seen one on the road yet! The UK does love its diesel smokers though, let's have an engine that drinks from the black pump already!
radion_auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 24-07-2011, 23:03   #5
Mike

Car: MG TF160 XPG +Rover 75 Conn Tourer CDT
Dealer websites like this do not help.

http://www.dealer.mg-uk.co.uk/cardiff/index.php

Over six weeks since launch, yet MG Cardiff still do not have a functioning website, or any branding at their Fordthorne showroom - other than a couple of flags.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 24-07-2011, 23:43   #6
traineecollins

Car: Rover Metro GTi, 118SLi, MG Metro 1300 & MG ZR160
The advert seems to have died a death, haven't seen it on TV for a long time? Diesel is needed as well as the MG3. More prominant MG dealerships other than a corner of a Kia place. London and SE is still way behind proportionally.
traineecollins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-07-2011, 01:10   #7
416si-mon

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
Oh dear.

At least Jaguar and LandRover are still with us.
416si-mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-07-2011, 07:53   #8
SteveChilds
Supporter

Tournaments Won: 1

Car: ZR TD, ZS 180 in Aurora
Garages
Send a message via MSN to SteveChilds
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416si-mon View Post
Oh dear.

At least Jaguar and LandRover are still with us.
Write MG of at your peril.. Yes, if these numbers are to be believed, its not a brilliant start, but it will improve as new models and new dealers come online...

Old 25-07-2011, 09:15   #9
Huff

Car: CityRover
Just to wander completely off topic for a moment, I cant believe that the Insignia has been out for 2 1/2 years! I swear it was only launched just the other week.............. where does the time go......

Back on topic im not discouraged by MG's figures, it was always going to be a slow burner whilst other models and fresh dealers come on song. It was always going to be an uphill struggle but once people see a few out and about things will start to pick up.
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-07-2011, 09:42   #10
Ian
Administrator

Car: Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connoisseur Auto, Ford Mondeo, Citroen C5 Tourer, Volvo V60 and Kia Sorento
Garages
It doesn't help expectations when MG Motor are releasing false information about how many they've sold. We all knew that initially sales would be slow until recognition builds up and extra variants arrive.

MG needs a PR team that are pro-active, efficient and can write a press release without typos in it. Until that happens, MG won't get the coverage that they deserve.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-07-2011, 15:33   #11
traineecollins

Car: Rover Metro GTi, 118SLi, MG Metro 1300 & MG ZR160
So much for 180 in 2 weeks with 32 dealers... :/
traineecollins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-07-2011, 17:54   #12
David Mills

Car: MG TF
Quote:
Originally Posted by preetoo View Post
I think MG Motor bosses will be very concerned by these figures if they turn out to be correct. There has been a fair marketing push behind the relaunch, and while nobody was expecting a stellar take off, less than 100 sales after the first two months is disappointing. Where is the AVIS order for 500 cars? We need the MG3 quicksmart, plus the diesel 6 of course.
I'd agree that level of sales is pretty poor. Avis etc wont buy as their mainstay cars are 1.6l units for the national companies they have major deals with. They certainly can't use them to attract people in as different from hertz as the MG brand just hasn't the general public cachet at at the moment.

And as you say, without an oil burner Joe Public is less interested.
David Mills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-07-2011, 18:19   #13
sadtosee

Car: Please Select
If they're serious about flogging more they need to work much, much harder to sell them in a very difficult market.

They can't expect people to pitch up and shell out 18k on their debit card on a whim in any serious numbers.

They need some competitive underwritten PCP and Leasing deals to start with - due to uncertainty over residuals the finance deals on the MG6 are absolutely awful and make it an absurdly expensive car.

Leasing sales are never going to be great on a petrol but, for example, Volvo are currently doing a roughly equivalent V60 T3 ES for 269 a month on a 3+35 basis and the MG6 is about 500 a month on an equivalent scheme.

The way people buy and finance cars these days the actual list price is irrelevant - it is the finance deals which sell a lot of cars.
sadtosee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-07-2011, 20:28   #14
DEK

Car: Other Manufacturer
Smile

I'm looking forward to seeing the diesel 6 and hopefully this will boost sales. I know that the new Golf and Civic are out next year so the 6 will mix it with these two in diesel form
DEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-07-2011, 08:13   #15
forehead

Car: Rover 75
And again there's that ambiguity of where the 6 sits in the market place. I still don't think it's a Focus rival and certainly wouldnt image it to compete with either the Golf or Civic. Once the MG5 with it's fresh design and better engine choices does appear then yes MG have a car to compete but until then they will struggle

To me the 6 is an anomoly without a market place. It uses the wrong engine for the times we live in and is hampered by links to a best forgotten time.

The 5 and 3 should start the real new era and only when these do appear will MG start to regain it's reputation and position in the Market place.

The poor sales simply confirm what I have been saying all along but as ever I am wrong and everyone else is right
forehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-07-2011, 11:49   #16
PatrickT

Location: Tasmania - the bit of Down Under that gets forgotten
Quote:
Originally Posted by forehead View Post
I still don't think it's a Focus rival and certainly wouldnt image it to compete with either the Golf or Civic.
It must truly dreadful then, as the Ford Focus is the biggest automotive turd I've had the misfortune to drive in the past few years. Badly designed, badly built, grossly underpowered, shocking engine/gearbox combination and all in all thoroughly unpleasant to drive. On a par with a 3 ton truck for driving pleasure...
PatrickT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-07-2011, 13:32   #17
jaffo

Car: Saab 93 aero sportwagon ttid 180 & mg zr trophy se
forehead,as i have have repeatedly stated(over and over),the mg6 was released in this country as sop to mg enthusiasts who want something now......they are well aware it wont be a big seller and never intended it to be in this form.....its to keep mg fans reasonably happy until the 3 and 5 come along and the diesels are ready.......as such,it should be seen as a remarkably able and fine handling stop gap which is bigger than other cars in its class but with more kit for the same money as its 'competitors'.......

and patrick,i wouldnt say the focus is'dreadful'(i have to drive an 11 plate everyday at work) but it is massively over hyped and absolutely and completely derivative,boring and dull......its a tv ready meal in the form of a car and designed for those who put no more thought into buying a car than they do when buying beans.
jaffo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-07-2011, 13:35   #18
Ian
Administrator

Car: Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connoisseur Auto, Ford Mondeo, Citroen C5 Tourer, Volvo V60 and Kia Sorento
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo View Post
forehead,as i have have repeatedly stated(over and over),the mg6 was released in this country as sop to mg enthusiasts who want something now......they are well aware it wont be a big seller and never intended it to be in this form.....its to keep mg fans reasonably happy until the 3 and 5 come along and the diesels are ready.......as such,it should be seen as a remarkably able and fine handling stop gap which is bigger than other cars in its class but with more kit for the same money as its 'competitors'.......

and patrick,i wouldnt say the focus is'dreadful'(i have to drive an 11 plate everyday at work) but it is masively over hyped and absolutely and completely derivative,boring and dull......its a tv ready meal in the form of a car.
That's the first I've heard of this.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-07-2011, 17:40   #19
jaffo

Car: Saab 93 aero sportwagon ttid 180 & mg zr trophy se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
That's the first I've heard of this.
well pay more attention....50 lines on my desk!
jaffo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-07-2011, 18:09   #20
DEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by forehead View Post
And again there's that ambiguity of where the 6 sits in the market place. I still don't think it's a Focus rival and certainly wouldnt image it to compete with either the Golf or Civic. Once the MG5 with it's fresh design and better engine choices does appear then yes MG have a car to compete but until then they will struggle

To me the 6 is an anomoly without a market place. It uses the wrong engine for the times we live in and is hampered by links to a best forgotten time.

The 5 and 3 should start the real new era and only when these do appear will MG start to regain it's reputation and position in the Market place.

The poor sales simply confirm what I have been saying all along but as ever I am wrong and everyone else is right
I hear what you're saying but what do MG see as the competitors to the 6?
DEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message