ZS Alternator Problems - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400

Old 28-05-2012, 18:13   #1
kgkev

Car: ZS 120 (2002)
ZS Alternator Problems

Alternator belt snapped yesterday. Didn't appear to do any damage and managed to drive the 2 odd miles home.

Put a new belt on today and started but battery light remains on.

When i was taking apart I did short the main cable against the chassis so I am hoping it might just be a fuse that has popped. has anyone got a manual to hand and can confirm which fuse to check.

I have put a meter across the battery terminals and its running at 10.55v This loses about 0.01V every minute when running.

I assume it should be 14-15V when the engine is running.

If I go from the Red Lead on the alternator to the Black lead of the battery I see the same 10.5.V Does this rule out the chance of it just being a fuse?

Couple of other things. I had the alternator right out to retap the tensioner screw that snapped. The alternator spins very freely - Is this right?

Also after tensioning and tightening the holding bolts I loosed and just hand tightened the small tensioning screw - Is this the correct way or should I leave it tight?
kgkev is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-05-2012, 18:31   #2
technozen
Mmmm....Rover..

Car: 200vi & Freelander XEDi
Send a message via MSN to technozen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkev View Post
I have put a meter across the battery terminals and its running at 10.55v This loses about 0.01V every minute when running.

I assume it should be 14-15V when the engine is running.

If I go from the Red Lead on the alternator to the Black lead of the battery I see the same 10.5.V Does this rule out the chance of it just being a fuse?
The last check rules out the main fuse between the alternator and battery. Check fuse 12 (15 amp) in the drivers fusebox.

The alternator spinning freely could mean that the brushes are worn and are not making contact... which results in it not generating any power.

The brushes could be stuck in their holders, give the alternator casing a few taps with a hammer.. it might free them.
Discounted SCU/BCU Full Relay Replacement Service - only for Supporters - details here
Replacement relays for the Pektron SCU available - .org Supporters buy 4, 5th is free - PM for details.
technozen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 28-05-2012, 18:42   #3
kgkev

Car: ZS 120 (2002)
Quote:
Originally Posted by technozen View Post
The brushes could be stuck in their holders, give the alternator casing a few taps with a hammer.. it might free them.

Anythings worth a try........ Lights off & charging at 14.1V!!!!

Thanks saved over 100 with just a hammer tap!!!
kgkev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-05-2012, 20:14   #4
technozen
Mmmm....Rover..

Car: 200vi & Freelander XEDi
Send a message via MSN to technozen
Great!

Keep an eye on it though, the brushes usually only stick when they are quite worn... you might need an new alternator yet.
Discounted SCU/BCU Full Relay Replacement Service - only for Supporters - details here
Replacement relays for the Pektron SCU available - .org Supporters buy 4, 5th is free - PM for details.
technozen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 28-05-2012, 21:21   #5
octanejunkie

Car: MG ZT
Yeah, keep an eye on Ebay for one. They crop up on there quite cheap. Sods law it will fail on the next cold rainy day when you need all the electrics, and you're late to be somewhere.
Dead easy to fit too. Don't leave it until its too late. Be a nice saturday morning job in the sunshine. But if you leave it, it will be a panicked job in the dark, in the rain, and in the cold....
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-05-2012, 22:16   #6
fathead431

Car: Rover 45
Send a message via Skype™ to fathead431
might be worth spraying in a small shot of WD40 to prevent them sticking too much in the sliders whilst you find a replacement
fathead431 is offline   Reply With Quote