Rattle from alternator drive belt at low revs - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros)

Old 16-06-2012, 17:56   #1
pompeyrich

Car: Rover 75
Rattle from alternator drive belt at low revs

My 99 Club 2.0 diesel has started making a horrible rattling type noise from the alternator drive belt area. The noise is only there up to about 1250 revs then seems to settle down, any load on the electrics, A/C, lights on etc. makes the noise worse. Just had a look and either the drive belt or one of the pulleys seems to move across when the engine is revved and the noise stops when this movement has occured. Hope that makes sense, all seems ok, charging, running ok just sounds scary at tick over/ low revs.

Thanks for any help in pin pointing the problem, Rich.
pompeyrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-06-2012, 18:01   #2
ZT-RICHO

Car: MG ZT
my first port of call would be the belt tensioner. but you need to get it sorted asap as you don`t want the belt to come and cause futher problems if theres movement in the belt.
ZT-RICHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16-06-2012, 18:19   #3
FrenchMike

Car: Rover 75 CDT
could be the damper pulley as well....
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16-06-2012, 18:36   #4
T-Cut

Car: 2004 Facelift 75 Connoisseur 1.8 turbo with DD Pack. And remember, the troof is out there.
From below, try spraying the crank pulley with water when the engine's running. if the noise fades, you need a new pulley. That's where my money is.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16-06-2012, 19:02   #5
ZT-RICHO

Car: MG ZT
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
From below, try spraying the crank pulley with water when the engine's running. if the noise fades, you need a new pulley. That's where my money is.

TC
never heard of doing that, but great tip and one i will remember to do if needs be
ZT-RICHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16-06-2012, 19:11   #6
Mike Noc

Car: Rover 75 CDT Con. SE. Bike: Norton Commando Roadster 750 Mk V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT-RICHO View Post
never heard of doing that, but great tip and one i will remember to do if needs be
Rich it does needs be. I'm with French Mike and TC : likely your crank pulley, or the bearings in one of the other pulleys, is failing. Ignore it and it could fail completely, causing further damage.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 16-06-2012 at 19:16.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16-06-2012, 20:16   #7
pompeyrich

Thanks guys, what sort of further damage are we talking, major probs or just stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken belt?

Really busy at work next week, 60 mile return trip and covering for my workmates, both on their hols, means little time for a trip to the garage. I know it's a piece of string question but could it make it through the week?

Old 16-06-2012, 20:37   #8
rich-i-wish

Car: 75 conn cdt 2001
Like ya say "piece o string " thing .. ya takes ya chances n ya lives with the conciquences or you get it checked out .. have ya thought of getting a mobile fitter to ya workplace ??
rich-i-wish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16-06-2012, 20:59   #9
pompeyrich

Yes I know, bit of a small town I work in, not sure you can get a pizza delivered there yet, never mind a mobile mechanic! Will try and have a look tomorrow and take it from there. Is the crank pulley an expensive/time consuming job?

Old 17-06-2012, 02:27   #10
crofts

Car: Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, Conn, SE (131 PS)
Exclamation Crank Puller/Tensioner

Yes, the pulley is expensive from Xpart. A member yesterday got his from Euro Car Parts, about half the price, I think.
Not an easy job & I think needs to be done from under car. Biggest problem, evidently, is loosening the pulley bolt. Need right size STRONG socket (one member said 1st socket broke, had to use an impact socket (as in air gun & some say this is easy way to loosen).......... with a '15 foot lever' ! !
I assume if left, pulley can disintigrate.
Far as I know it is advisable to also fit new tensioner.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-06-2012, 15:03   #11
pompeyrich

Thanks again everyone, does seem quite a bit of money for a couple of pulleys. Any decent independant mechanics known in the Portsmouth area, thinking of using Sewards at Havant but they are certainly not the cheapest. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions, will update on progress/costs etc. Cheers, Rich

Old 17-06-2012, 15:27   #12
Mike Noc

Car: Rover 75 CDT Con. SE. Bike: Norton Commando Roadster 750 Mk V
If it was me I wouldn't bother replacing the tensioner unless it is faulty. You don't hear of many going and I know one that has done well over 300k, and felt as good as new the last time the belt was off and it was spun.

Worth checking all the pulleys with the belt off including any play in the water pump pulley. How many miles has your car done?

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-06-2012, 15:44   #13
pompeyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
If it was me I wouldn't bother replacing the tensioner unless it is faulty. You don't hear of many going and I know one that has done well over 300k, and felt as good as new the last time the belt was off and it was spun.

Worth checking all the pulleys with the belt off including any play in the water pump pulley. How many miles has your car done?

Mike
Just coming up to 120K. Been spoiled up until now, it's been superb, apart from the clutch just after I bought it at about 40K, replaced the original battery last winter and starter motor brushes around the same time.

Old 17-06-2012, 15:54   #14
FrenchMike

Car: Rover 75 CDT
BMW side :

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...ration_damper/

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-06-2012, 10:11   #15
DMGRS
Discount MG Rover Spares (Formerly Mattyprice4004)

Car: MG ZT-T+ CDTi Auto
Garages
Send a message via MSN to DMGRS
I'd just do the pulley, that's what the noise will be. My tensioner is original on nearly 200k and is perfectly smooth.

Aftermarket pulleys have been known to fail - go for OEM if you can afford it.

The reason they're expensive is because it's a lot more than just a pulley, it's also a damper system to kill any resonation in the crankshaft which could cause a crankshaft failure. If you have a look at one when you have it in your hand, it's a pretty clever bit of kit really.

Discount MG Rover Spares - Free UK P+P on all orders.

Click above to view our Shop.

Rover 75 Spares:
1.8 Lower Engine Mounts
V6 Lower Engine Mounts
Battery Box Lids
Rear Upper Suspension Arms
Front Brake Discs Backplates
OEM Drop Links

I'm away from 22nd-26th September. Please place any important orders in advance to avoid a delay.
DMGRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-06-2012, 11:58   #16
T-Cut

Car: 2004 Facelift 75 Connoisseur 1.8 turbo with DD Pack. And remember, the troof is out there.
Buy a Land Rover pulley, same part, but much cheaper.
Example: http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=100530

To undo the bolt properly, there is a special tool to lock the pulley. Maybe hireable?

New bolts are now on offer at Rimmer: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001733

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-06-2012, 16:31   #17
pompeyrich

Quick update, drove to work and back, all ok, took car to Sewards at Havant, ex Rover dealer and Xpart stockist, they have confirmed it is the crank pulley, have ordered one and going to fit it on Thursday.

They have quoted me 400 based on a 3 hour job, they reckon there is no book time for the job and have based this estimated time from previous, albeit limited, experience, so could be more or maybe less.

Thanks again for your input so far and preparing me for the worst, would never have guessed 200 for a pulley!!

Old 18-06-2012, 20:48   #18
ts autos
Trader Supporter

Car: MG Express (Van)
Garages
T/cut you might want to change the dimensions to 22mm a/f socket required.
TS Autos - I do everything apart from paint and bodywork, I excel in trim, mechanical and electrical faults on all models, but know ZT/75's every nut and bolt quite literally. Please PM me if you need a part or work doing to your car! location as requested Midlands Area DY8 1XQ
www.tsautos.com
ts autos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-06-2012, 20:57   #19
curriemart

Car: 2005 Contemporary SE CDTi
400 - nonsense price!
Just got mine done last week in my local garage- 50 for labour (1 hours worth) and I supplied the parts: 120 for a Corteco crank pulley and 30 for 2 new belts. Total = 200.
Its an easy job for a garage up on a ramp with an air wrench.
curriemart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19-06-2012, 04:02   #20
crofts

Car: Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, Conn, SE (131 PS)
Thumbs down BMW Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchMike View Post
Interesting looking at the parts & prices.
Can you believe 57 Euros for a Woodruff key, that's unreal
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote