Zt 2.5 v6 - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros)

Old 26-07-2012, 20:55   #1
JasonGawn1975

Car: MG ZT 2.5 V6 160bhp
Angry Zt 2.5 v6

Hi every one just wanted to rack your brains, the other day my car over heated and i lost the coolant but could not find any signs of any leaks, i have toped it up and ran it and nothing has happened again, I have looked under neith the engine and could only see this item that was rusty, so what do you think the item is and why would i loose coolant, checked oil and its nice and clean? I did notice an oil leak any ideas what this is too?

Really need your help as I do not want my engine to blow up

Jason

Last edited by JasonGawn1975; 27-07-2012 at 19:15.
JasonGawn1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-07-2012, 21:21   #2
keith8000_0

Car: mgzt190+,mgztcdti+mgzr105,kawasaki zx6r
cant see any pics, but the usual suspect is the thermostat housing whithin the V of the engine, shine a torch between the black inlet manifold to see if you can see any coolant or coolant staines.
keith8000_0 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 26-07-2012, 23:45   #3
Nev-ZT

Car: MG ZT 190+
Is the fan working?
Nev-ZT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27-07-2012, 07:03   #4
stormbind

Car: ROVER
My V6 also loses coolant and no clear signs of why. I know of one area worth looking at.

There is a coolant pipe that is supposed to be attached to the battery-cradle. A common problem is that when mechanics temporarily remove the cradle, they don't realise that they should re-attach the coolant pipe afterwards (and sometimes the clip on the cradle snaps off). This fairly common mistake causes the coolant pipe to droop down and rest against transmission cables.

Effects of this are:

1. Wear to the coolant pipe (which might cause coolant loss).
2. Rusting of transmission cables.
3. Perishing of the bungs that attach transmission cables to gears (these came right off on mine..).

When I examine the coolant pipe on mine, I can see the rubber is thinner where it had (historically) rested against the transmission cables. It does not look like a leak, but when hot coolant is forced through the rubber pipe, the rubber will expand.. I don't know if expanded-thinned-rubber will gradually leak coolant? But it probably does leak because something has to cause signs #2 and #3.

Also, the reservoir tank is poorly designed. It traps tiny amounts of coolant between the MIN/MAX markers, which can result in a reading when in fact there is no coolant. At one point my car had lost 2L of coolant (and temperature dial shot up) but the reservoir still showed it as above MIN!! Clearly a lying marker because it was fed an extra 2L of water and then drove on fine..

Last edited by stormbind; 27-07-2012 at 07:20.
stormbind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27-07-2012, 16:18   #5
JasonGawn1975

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbind View Post
My V6 also loses coolant and no clear signs of why. I know of one area worth looking at.

There is a coolant pipe that is supposed to be attached to the battery-cradle. A common problem is that when mechanics temporarily remove the cradle, they don't realise that they should re-attach the coolant pipe afterwards (and sometimes the clip on the cradle snaps off). This fairly common mistake causes the coolant pipe to droop down and rest against transmission cables.

Effects of this are:

1. Wear to the coolant pipe (which might cause coolant loss).
2. Rusting of transmission cables.
3. Perishing of the bungs that attach transmission cables to gears (these came right off on mine..).

When I examine the coolant pipe on mine, I can see the rubber is thinner where it had (historically) rested against the transmission cables. It does not look like a leak, but when hot coolant is forced through the rubber pipe, the rubber will expand.. I don't know if expanded-thinned-rubber will gradually leak coolant? But it probably does leak because something has to cause signs #2 and #3.

Also, the reservoir tank is poorly designed. It traps tiny amounts of coolant between the MIN/MAX markers, which can result in a reading when in fact there is no coolant. At one point my car had lost 2L of coolant (and temperature dial shot up) but the reservoir still showed it as above MIN!! Clearly a lying marker because it was fed an extra 2L of water and then drove on fine..
Thank you I will check this out and let you know what i find

Old 27-07-2012, 16:19   #6
JasonGawn1975

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev-ZT View Post
Is the fan working?
Yes the fan is working

Old 27-07-2012, 16:20   #7
JasonGawn1975

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith8000_0 View Post
cant see any pics, but the usual suspect is the thermostat housing whithin the V of the engine, shine a torch between the black inlet manifold to see if you can see any coolant or coolant staines.
Sorry but I do not know how to up load pictures, if you can help please do

Old 27-07-2012, 19:34   #8
JasonGawn1975

Smile

Just uploaded the pictures at long last

Old 28-07-2012, 15:16   #9
Jaycue58

Car: MG ZT+190 Anthracite
My ZT lost water for a couple of reasons ........... these being thermostat housing also oil cooler matrix which is located below and behind the radiator this was a major cause of coolant loss its a common fault that is often overlooked check it out
Jaycue58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-07-2012, 10:54   #10
genpk

Car: Rover 75
I had small amounts of coolant loss over periods of time and could never figure it out,pressure tests showed no loss. Finally found had a small weeping leak at the plastic elbow (o ring seal) where the hose goes into the top of the radiator.
It only used to happen after the engine was at operating temp and only noticed it because of a slight mark down the side of the radiator.
The O ring gets hard and wont seal properly.Got some high temp silicone gasket maker which sorted it out.
Seems 90% of major coolant issues on the KV6 are related to the plastic thermostat housing ,the remainder are bolt on bits,clamps etc.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-07-2012, 12:19   #11
JasonGawn1975

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycue58 View Post
My ZT lost water for a couple of reasons ........... these being thermostat housing also oil cooler matrix which is located below and behind the radiator this was a major cause of coolant loss its a common fault that is often overlooked check it out
Thanks ill check it out

Old 30-07-2012, 12:19   #12
JasonGawn1975

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
I had small amounts of coolant loss over periods of time and could never figure it out,pressure tests showed no loss. Finally found had a small weeping leak at the plastic elbow (o ring seal) where the hose goes into the top of the radiator.
It only used to happen after the engine was at operating temp and only noticed it because of a slight mark down the side of the radiator.
The O ring gets hard and wont seal properly.Got some high temp silicone gasket maker which sorted it out.
Seems 90% of major coolant issues on the KV6 are related to the plastic thermostat housing ,the remainder are bolt on bits,clamps etc.
Thanks ill check it out