MGF Clutch problems! - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ)

Old 31-07-2012, 19:58   #1
Frasa17

Car: MGF
Question MGF Clutch problems!

Hi, i have a year 2000 mgf and its off the road at the moment due to the clutch not working, there is no pressure on the clutch at all, it sits on the floor. I have been reading through the forums on here and I can see that other people have problems, but all the solutions seem to start with 'try bleeding the slave cylinder, well i cant seem to be able to bleed anything beacuse the pedal isnt pumping any oil through when we move the pedal there is absolutly no movement on the slave cylinder, so I can only assume its the master cylinder which is mounted at the front of the car, I just need someone elses opinoin before i go and replace it and find that it wasnt the problem at all does anyone know howmuch oil should be in the sump on the master cylinder? there is no mark on it, at the moment its about half full
Frasa17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-07-2012, 20:13   #2
HarryB
Supporter

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasa17 View Post
Hi, i have a year 2000 mgf and its off the road at the moment due to the clutch not working, there is no pressure on the clutch at all, it sits on the floor. I have been reading through the forums on here and I can see that other people have problems, but all the solutions seem to start with 'try bleeding the slave cylinder, well i cant seem to be able to bleed anything beacuse the pedal isnt pumping any oil through when we move the pedal there is absolutly no movement on the slave cylinder, so I can only assume its the master cylinder which is mounted at the front of the car, I just need someone elses opinoin before i go and replace it and find that it wasnt the problem at all does anyone know howmuch oil should be in the sump on the master cylinder? there is no mark on it, at the moment its about half full
If one cylinder is gone you will need a set of O-rings and a clean shot of fluid, you might try by opening the master cylinder and checking the fluid level, just because it looks full from the outside doesnt mean it actually is....
HarryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-07-2012, 20:17   #3
AndyNickJenkins
Proud owner of "Trigger"

Car: 2002 MG TF 160 in Tahiti Blue and a 2001 MGF in Sienna Gold.
It could be something as simple as a seized clutch arm.

A common problem with these cars.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthrea...=1#post3105307

The above link, although a guide to replacing the clutch release arm, will show you where the arm actually is !

You should be able to free it with liberal spraying of penetrating fluid etc.

Good luck.

Old 31-07-2012, 20:38   #4
Cpt Shed

Car: MG TF 135
Clutch

I just had an issue with my clutch on my TF, had to replace the slave cylinder, found the clutch arm to be very stiff, so freed it up with oil,all seems good now.

I had the same issue on my ZR, same cure.

Nige'
Cpt Shed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 04:05   #5
Tim.
Supporter

Car: MGF Trophy 160, MG ZS180
Garages
With a totally pan flat pedal, you will need to loosen the union at the top of the master cylinder to allow air to bleed from there whilst operating the pedal up & down by hand. Once you have some pumping action, re-tighten the union and bleed as normal.

Then you have to sort why it happened in the first place. My money is on a stiff clutch arm and consequently damaged slave seal.
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote