.org MG6 Diesel Review.. - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG 6 (Sponsored by the MG Car Club)

Old 22-11-2012, 11:47   #1
SteveChilds
Supporter

Tournaments Won: 1

Car: ZR TD, ZS 180 in Aurora
Garages
Send a message via MSN to SteveChilds
.org MG6 Diesel Review..

Finally we get behind the wheel of another new model to roll off the Longbridge assembly lines - no, sadly not the MG3, we'll have to wait until next year for that, but the long, long awaited Diesel MG6.

So, what's new - well, other than the in-house designed 1.9 Turbo Diesel engine, quite a bit actually. There's an all-new (also in-house designed & developed) 6 speed gearbox, revisions to be braking system including larger front discs for the Diesel going from 284mm to 295mm. There's a new Electro-Hydraulic power steering system and revisions to the suspension setup.

Read on for our full review...
(Photos will be coming shortly, we appear to have a server glitch at the moment which is preventing me adding any)

http://www.mg-rover.org/articles/1/1...iew/page_1.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-11-2012, 17:39   #2
patpending
Supporter

Car: ZS 180 Mk2 FireFrost Hatch
Quote:
MG will also launch into selected EU markets next year from the UK with the MG6 and MG3, meaning production numbers at Longbridge will increase as the EU models will also be produced in Birmingham.
Did they say that to you in the framework of the road tests?

PS
Quote:
Products designed & engineered in Birmingham are now available around the world in 38 different markets covering nearly all corners of the globe.
I had
Quote:
37 MG countries!
including Colombia, Nepal, North Korea, Vietnam and New Zealand. I'd better count them again!

EDIT Bolivia!

Last edited by patpending; 22-11-2012 at 18:33.
patpending is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-11-2012, 22:33   #3
SteveChilds
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpending View Post
Did they say that to you in the framework of the road tests?
They said that EU sales would start next year, although not production - that was stated a while ago.

Besides, if they weren't going to go with Longbridge production, they'd be selling them already in the EU - I suspect however its much more cost effective to sell from within the EU as the Longbridge produced cars wouldn't be treated as imports from outside the EU.

Old 22-11-2012, 23:31   #4
patpending
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChilds View Post
They said that EU sales would start next year, although not production - that was stated a while ago.

Besides, if they weren't going to go with Longbridge production, they'd be selling them already in the EU - I suspect however its much more cost effective to sell from within the EU as the Longbridge produced cars wouldn't be treated as imports from outside the EU.
Thanks.

I see what you mean, they had already announced LHD production (assembly) in Birmingham rather than EU sales only/ full production in China.

Which EU countries come first will be fascinating. The Belarus importer is based in Latvia - they are having a massive recession there. SAIC visited Karmann is Osnabrück and Magna in Graz, suggesting Germany and Austria could be key markets. Spain and Portugal are often mentioned, though I think the cheaper donkey may be back in fashion there.

It's not even as if we have enough dealers in Britain!

Old 23-11-2012, 07:51   #5
SteveChilds
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpending View Post
Which EU countries come first will be fascinating.
Probably the ones that had good appetite for MG in the past, and where the economy isn't completely screwed. Yeah, not a big list, that is for sure.

Quote:
It's not even as if we have enough dealers in Britain!
That will change, they've lost/cut a few of the smaller dealers this year but are planning to expand next year, including being taken on by 3 of the top 50 AM dealerships (basically big dealer groups).

The problem has always been product - dealers need product to sell and at the moment they only have 1 and a little in the way of advertising. I have no doubt, this will change when the 3 appears.

Old 23-11-2012, 16:01   #6
patpending
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
which dealers first?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChilds View Post
Probably the ones that had good appetite for MG in the past, and where the economy isn't completely screwed. Yeah, not a big list, that is for sure.
True, the only Continental article I have read on the MG6 was Spanish. Connections via the old empire to no fewer than eight countries with modern MGs. But 25% unemployment.

Portugal and Italy don't look too good.

France seem to be muddling along for the moment. Germany is doing best but has little record of MG sales since B*W. Maybe if the MG6 is a modern take on the 600 the Netherlands (and Belgium?) are first in the queue?

Old 23-11-2012, 20:07   #7
matthewsemple

Car: MG Magnette, MG Maestro x2, MG ZT and Rover 416GTi
Send a message via MSN to matthewsemple
Cool

Italy was a big market for Rover. I have been to Italy several times in the past ten years and I remember that particularly in Tuscany, Rovers seemed to be one of the most common non-Italian cars. They were also very popular in Poland where 'Rover' is also the word they use for bicycle because the Rover bicycle company invented the modern bicycle. (Diamond-shaped frame, chain driving the rear wheel). There are still lots of Rovers in Poland and Hungary.

However, who knows how much of that will be translated to sales of new MGs?
matthewsemple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-11-2012, 21:46   #8
ROVER-25X
Supporter

Car: 25X, 25TDX, 75X Rep:■■■■■□□□□□
Garages
Thumbs up all round then.
MG-ROVER - MERSEYSIDE facebook - [=Click=]
MERSEYSIDE 'Fix it Day' - [=Click=]
My 'FOR SALE' Section - [=Click=]
-------------------------------------------------------
ROVER-25X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-11-2012, 07:32   #9
patpending
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsemple View Post
Italy was a big market for Rover. I have been to Italy several times in the past ten years and I remember that particularly in Tuscany, Rovers seemed to be one of the most common non-Italian cars. They were also very popular in Poland where 'Rover' is also the word they use for bicycle because the Rover bicycle company invented the modern bicycle. (Diamond-shaped frame, chain driving the rear wheel). There are still lots of Rovers in Poland and Hungary.

However, who knows how much of that will be translated to sales of new MGs?
I'm pretty sure a handful of 550s (four?) were sold in Poland from Belarus. I think Poland is one of the countries that is depending a lot on EU money so I don't know how their economy is.

I think countries abroad are far less familiar with MG than with Rover, particularly for a saloon. The MG6 is a modern take on the 620ti!

Last edited by patpending; 24-11-2012 at 09:03.