Squeaking sound when turning steering wheel - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > Others

Old 31-10-2004, 13:45   #1
Mich44zr

Car: MG ZR
Question Squeaking sound when turning steering wheel

I am getting a kind of squeaking noise from the car, when i am going round corners in either direction of left or right.

I actually thought it was the power steering but now think it is to do with the brakes. if i brake when going around a corner, the noise stops and when i release the brakes the noise continues.

Whenever i brake there is a squeaky noise but the brake pads are fine and the noise has been put down to brake dust.

My question is why would the noise appear when turning the steering wheel?

Cheers,
Mich44zr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-10-2004, 19:22   #2
Psycho_Ferret

Location: Studying Electrical and Electronic engineering at the University of Manchester (Was UMIST)
Car: Rover 200 (95-99) "Bubble Shape"
Send a message via MSN to Psycho_Ferret
Could be a wheel bearing either drying out or starting to go...

I have a similar problem on my 200, but its because some robbing b*stards nicked my anti squeal shims at service time lol!
Psycho_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 31-10-2004, 19:46   #3
Mich44zr

Car: MG ZR
Is that likely to be expensive?

Also can i just turn a blind eye, or does this need attention?

thanks
Mich44zr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 31-10-2004, 19:49   #4
projectgaz

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) "Bubble Shape"
My car used to squeak when steering, bit queer, they fixed it at a service and I never found out when it was
projectgaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 31-10-2004, 23:47   #5
cmburgin

Car: Focus TDI Estate
maybe centrifugal forces acting on the wheels/tyres/brakes? who knows
cmburgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2004, 09:36   #6
E_T_V

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Does it make the squeeling sound when you turn the steering wheel whilst stationary? If so then it is a slipping PAS belt (well that is the most likely thing)

If it doesn't squeal when stationary but it when going round corners check that the wheel bearings are ok, that the brake pads have plenty of friction material on them, check that you have antsqueal shims fitted and that the disc stone shields aren't bent in toward the disc too far.

All are pretty easy things to check
E_T_V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2004, 10:23   #7
Griffo

Car: '71 MGB GT Weekend Toy, Skoda Fabia vRS Daily Driver
that happened to me too. can you buy them from the steelers or do you have to pay spme extortionate price for an entire brake pad set including loads of usless things.
Griffo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2004, 11:28   #8
SLARTIBARTFAST

Car: Hyundai Sante Fe
If you can get the brake pads off yourself, a little trick is to use a pencil and rub the sides and contact parts with the pencil. The graphite in the lead usually stops the squeak. Wheels come under a lot of latteral strain when cornering, and hubs can move (slight bearing wear etc) or maybe slightly distort. Not much, but enough to cause interference.

However, the anti-squeal shims seem a likley place to start. Try the pencil grahite trick on them first.
SLARTIBARTFAST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2004, 12:09   #9
E_T_V

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Copper grease works wonders on the back of brake pads to stop them squealing. (Don't EVER use normal grease though and be careful not to get any on the braking surfaces!)
Chances are the brake pads are worn out and it is the pad level warning indicator making the squealing as it is supposed to. If it isn't the PAS belt that is.
E_T_V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2004, 21:21   #10
cjard

Car: Rover 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich44zr
My question is why would the noise appear when turning the steering wheel?
the pads fall against the disc; remember that brake pads should only be in contact with the disc when you put the brakes on.. so the caliper has to relax at some point. anti-squeal shims add a small amount of springiness to this so that the pad is less likely to slop around and squeal, but it still happens.. try blowing the dust off with an airline.. though it will probably return. changing pad manufacturer may help
cjard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2004, 21:22   #11
cjard

Car: Rover 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLARTIBARTFAST
If you can get the brake pads off yourself, a little trick is to use a pencil and rub the sides and contact parts with the pencil. The graphite in the lead usually stops the squeak. Wheels come under a lot of latteral strain when cornering, and hubs can move (slight bearing wear etc) or maybe slightly distort. Not much, but enough to cause interference.

However, the anti-squeal shims seem a likley place to start. Try the pencil grahite trick on them first.
but dont graphite up the friction surfaces, as this will reduce braking performance
cjard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message