Radio reset on engine start - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > Others

Old 27-10-2002, 11:58   #1
RickC

Car: Rover 100
Question Radio reset on engine start

Hi Dave,

Another question for you!

Is it possible to rewire the radio loom to allow the radio to run un-interrupted on engine start, or are the spikes created on turnover enough to damage it?

I believe that there are quite a few new cars that allow the radio to run un-interrupted on ignition start. It would be cool to have it on the MG.

Rick
RickC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-10-2002, 18:01   #2
Dr Dave
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
I know exactly what you mean Rick

You could try wiring it directly to the battery; that's the safest way...don't forget the inline fuse next to the battery, OK?

But, it might be a feature of the radio amplifier stage to cut the power when the battery voltage 'spikes' when starting, to protect the electronics inside...

Old 29-03-2003, 08:15   #3
RickC

Car: Rover 100
An update on my previous question.....

I have successfully re-wired the radio to operate at all times - even during engine crank which is a lot better. I really hated the way the MD head unit reset when I went to start the car...

I have read lots of stories about the voltage fluctuations on the +ive line of the battery during crank, but after running some checks, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the ZR/25.

The only thing you may want to check is the minimum voltage required to keep the radio running. Cranking the engine causes the voltage of the battery to drop by 3-4v. So a minimum operating voltage of 10v is acceptable.

The ISO lead has 2 +ive feed connections, an always on (normally yellow - to keep the radio memory), and a switched feed (normally red) which comes on when the key is in position 2 & 3. You simply patch the "always on" lead into the switched feed pin on the socket at the back of the head unit. You will need to cut the switched feed and bunch it out of the way on the loom.

Be warned that if you are not careful, you can run your battery flat by leaving the radio on. For those of you who have detachable head units - the habit of removing the face will make sure that this does not happen!

Hope this is of interest.
Rick
RickC is offline   Reply With Quote