Is there any way of manually bypassing the alarm/immobiliser? - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > 'R8' Rovers (aka Wedges!!)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-03-2005, 20:24   #1
15Peter20

Car: Please Select
Is there any way of manually bypassing the alarm/immobiliser?

I've just bought a Rover 218 off some dodgy bloke in the paper and in the week I've had it, the immobiliser overrode the starter and the alarm light would flash and not let me start up. The AA had to get me to an electrics place and they said the starter circuit had a knackered wire in it or something, and after they'd done whatever they did, it seemed to start up fine again. No problem, I thought. But then this morning I found myself in exactly the same situation. The electrics place said I could possibly override the immobiliser just to get it started, but I'm at a complete loss as to how to do this. Now I do have a keycode (ie: stand outside car, turn key left and right loads of times and make no difference whatsoever), but so far it hasn't solved anything, and as far as I know, there was never a key fob with it, as it doesn't appear to have central locking. I tinkered with the fuses and managed to get the glow plugs working and the engine turning over, but not that decisive bit where the thing actually kicks into life. Is it just a case of running a wire from somewhere on the starter motor to the + terminal on the battery, or is it something much more complicated/impossible?
15Peter20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-03-2005, 20:53   #2
muppet

Car: Rover 25
hi there,dont think it would be wise to let people know how to bypass the alarm/immobiliser on a public forum(u never now whose looking )hope someone can help with your original problem.
muppet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-03-2005, 20:57   #3
SFulcher

Car: MG 6 GT
When mine played up, I called the RAC who overrode the alarms for me, so it is possible, but they of course would not tell me how to do it!

I had to drive it straight to MG Rover to get sorted out - luckilly it was just the fob battery so it didnt cost too much.
SFulcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-03-2005, 21:16   #4
Tad

Car: check in other motoring chat :)
when you have this problem again, you must enter the code several times, it doesnt work everytime! also try doing with the doors locked, then with doors unlocked, try all kinds of situations, it works.

heh sorry SFulcher, but you went all the way and payed rover to have your fob battery changed?! lol
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-03-2005, 06:44   #5
15Peter20

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
hi there,dont think it would be wise to let people know how to bypass the alarm/immobiliser on a public forum(u never now whose looking )hope someone can help with your original problem.

If anyone does know a way, could they email me? Cheers.

Old 30-03-2005, 07:00   #6
mgzr24

Car: MG ZR
Unhappy

i have a similar problem with my zr, i always unlock with the fob, but sometimes i get in and the imobiliser is on and it starts to beep at me,???? sometimes its just a case of taking the key out and trying, but other times i have to get out the car lock it and un lock it a couple of times before it will start any ideas

thanks
mgzr24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-03-2005, 07:32   #7
ashy

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
15Peter20 I doubt you would have a manual key code if there wasn't supposed to be a fob with it.
I would contact Rover and tell them you may be interested in buying a key fob from them (this is just to get them to help you) ,but you need to know if it requires one. They should then be able to tell you from your registration.

If they do say you need one then get one of Ebay for a tenner and then ask Rover to program it for 25-35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgzr24
i have a similar problem with my zr, i always unlock with the fob, but sometimes i get in and the imobiliser is on and it starts to beep at me,???? sometimes its just a case of taking the key out and trying, but other times i have to get out the car lock it and un lock it a couple of times before it will start any ideas

thanks
Yep my girlfriends brother's ZR does this also. You don't need to get out of the car though to lock and unlock it. It will still work from the inside.
ashy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-03-2005, 09:10   #8
muppet

Car: Rover 25
yes i had a 220 without remote locking but it still came with a fob to turn the immobiliser off automaticaly and also came with a keycode.

ian
muppet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-03-2005, 10:00   #9
15Peter20

What about finding the wire to the immobiliser and cutting it? Would that work at all?

Old 30-03-2005, 11:41   #10
kiwi216

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) "Bubble Shape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Peter20
What about finding the wire to the immobiliser and cutting it? Would that work at all?
No.
The imobiliser has to send a code to the engine ECU, which is programmed and unique for each imobiliser/ ecu combination, before it will start the car. If you unplug it, you will never start the car.
kiwi216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-03-2005, 12:42   #11
15Peter20

What about trying to override it using the universal remote control for my telly?

If I do manage to get it working again, is there any simple way of completely disabling it for the future, so it never ever happens again ever?

Old 30-03-2005, 13:46   #12
ashy

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
Why don't you just do it the right way and get yourself a proper key fob instead of faffing about.
You need a fob simple as that. Rover will program it for you and then all your problems should be solved. There is an advantage to having an immobilser.
ashy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-03-2005, 13:58   #13
jonspurs

Car: Mazda RX-8
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=37715
jonspurs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-03-2005, 14:43   #14
kiwi216

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) "Bubble Shape"
Rover made the cars difficult to steal for a reason!!!!!!!!!!
If there was an easy way round it, then there would be no point having an imobiliser.
Only thing you can do is fix it properly.
kiwi216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-07-2005, 14:32   #15
B-R-A-D

Car: Rover 45
I have the same problem i have been told by a Rover dealer i cant get the code as the factory has now shut so how the hell am i suposed to disarm the immoboliser.

Anyone nice enough to help me start my car.
B-R-A-D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-07-2005, 16:07   #16
cjmillsnun

Car: MGF Trophy 160 in Trophy Yellow
Send a message via MSN to cjmillsnun
The dealer can get the code using T4.

They plug in the car to the T4 box of tricks and read the code from the immobiliser ECU.
cjmillsnun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-07-2005, 17:40   #17
Broon

Car: MGF MK2 1.8i,BMW 330i
Hopefully I wont offend anyone but is it just me who thinks it is strange all these new members with poor excuses asking how to override immobilisers

And here is another!!

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=73176

Last edited by Broon; 29-07-2005 at 17:47.
Broon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-07-2005, 19:29   #18
B-R-A-D

Car: Rover 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broon
Hopefully I wont offend anyone but is it just me who thinks it is strange all these new members with poor excuses asking how to override immobilisers

And here is another!!

The only reason i am a new member is that i found this site when i was trying to find out how to get car manual for my car to my suprise Hayes do not even publish one yet so before i lose my rag with what you are trying to say about all newcomers i will say just this, you yourself was a newcomer at one point so try and be a little simpathetic with us who can't find out information any other way.
B-R-A-D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-07-2005, 19:38   #19
Dr Dave
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Peter20
No...thats where your big problems would begin!
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-07-2005, 21:06   #20
cjmillsnun

Car: MGF Trophy 160 in Trophy Yellow
Send a message via MSN to cjmillsnun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broon

And here is another!!

I know where you're coming from, however I personally feel that if enough information is given for genuine people to find help, without compromising the security of people's vehicles, then we are doing the right thing. With the demise of MGR there are going to be owners who would have previously gone to dealers for advice who now find that either their dealer has closed or has changed franchise and doesn't want to know about MGR cars. Who are they going to turn to... In all likelihood us. We should help where we can.
cjmillsnun is offline   Reply With Quote