MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,298 Posts
Certainly looks decent from the photos, but I know from experience that cars often look a lot better in a photo than they do in the flesh.

If it is a 1.6, it isn't a Tomcat ;)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I used to have a 1.6 K-series coupe (hence the "Coupe" in Dan Coupe!). Brilliant car - ran really well, was quick (ish) cheap to insure and returned decent fuel economy (about 40mpg...)

Still miss that car...

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
If it is a 1.6, it isn't a Tomcat ;)
Go on then, why not? Seeing as Tomcat was the project name for the 200 Coupe in all guises and nothing to do with the engine in it.

If you were being provocative then :dddc: would have been the better smilie to use and then I'd have understood :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have had two coupes, one in the same purple and one in the luvly met blue, one had the honda(had nothing but problems with)16v single cam engine and one with rover that did blow its gasket. Appart from the one issue with the rover powered unit blowing its gasket two weeks after buying it i had no problems at all the following two years of ownership. cracking car, roof was a great touch, economy great and power adiquate but better than allot of other 1.6 cars. Even bought a cabby a couple of years after but with the great twin cam honda unit, now that was a nice engine to have, can't understand why it wasn't used further.

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go on then, why not? Seeing as Tomcat was the project name for the 200 Coupe in all guises and nothing to do with the engine in it.

If you were being provocative then :dddc: would have been the better smilie to use and then I'd have understood :D
you took the words right out of my mouth Stu,

when we first got our Tomcat back in 2002 I went to a local brakers for an arch mould strip that came off, I said to the assistant that I had a coupe & he said ah you mean the `Tomcat' & to the day we have always called ours the Tomcat,

common misunderstanding that people think the `Turbo' is the `Tomcat', maybe because of the racing series it formed???

NB also I like it when my Mrs calls it the Tomcat & people think its got 4 legs, fur & claws lol,

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had two coupes, one in the same purple and one in the luvly met blue, one had the honda(had nothing but problems with)16v single cam engine and one with rover that did blow its gasket. Appart from the one issue with the rover powered unit blowing its gasket two weeks after buying it i had no problems at all the following two years of ownership. cracking car, roof was a great touch, economy great and power adiquate but better than allot of other 1.6 cars. Even bought a cabby a couple of years after but with the great twin cam honda unit, now that was a nice engine to have, can't understand why it wasn't used further.
thats it the Tomcat is really a very reliable motor,

& the `HGF' is not worth words in typing, as many cars fail on this subject its just Rovers do it like clockwork, so who cares,

all I have bought is service parts, exhausts, tyres & batteries, cam belts, starter motors (not even a clutch in 130,000k of mileage), its nothing more different a shopping list than many other similar reliable motors....

I also say the `Tomcat' is a pleasure to own, after all you bought 2 & maybe one day I will too lol.....

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,298 Posts
Personally, I thought the wink was more appropriate.

But, never mind; I was just referencing the opinion held by some that it isn't a 'proper' Tomcat unless it has the T Turbo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts