MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS 120
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I'm completely new here!

I've just bought a gorgeous MG ZS with a full 1.8 conversion. I've bought the vehicle knowing that the engine does not start. The chap I bought from said that the conversion was done and the engine ran. The previous owner parked the car up and ut didn't move for a year. Brought it home this afternoon and set to work on it.

Battery was completely flat. Got a set of jump cables on the battery, the ignition came on no issues. The I locked and unlocked the immobiliser fob. Turned the key and the engine just turns over. No sign at all of bursting into life.

I removed the plugs and there was a smell of fuel on them but were not soaked

Anyone have any ideas?

Please help!

Jordan Howie

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)

To help us answer, what do you mean a full 1.8 conversion? The 1.8 k series was fitted as standard and I suspect the most popular engine for the ZS. A bit weird therefore to convert to a 1.8? People often talk about 180 conversions which refers to a body kit, often with a large rear spoiler?

If it’s a replacement 1.8 engine, is it matched to the ecu? You could try reading OBD2 codes, but these might not mean much if the replacement engine has never run. I’d start by checking whether a spark is produced at the plugs. You’ve already said fuel is getting through.

·
Registered
MG ZS 120
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply gnu.

I can confirm that the vehicle does have the kit on it. The wings, skirts and the rear wing.

I'll check to see if the plugs are sparking tomorrow. So busy today, the Joy's of having a two month old son haha.

The 180 you are referring to. Is that the V6?

Jordan

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Yeah, the MG ZS 180 came with the KV6 engine and a bodykit. Many MG ZS 120's, with the 1.8 K-series 4 cylinder engine, had the '180' bodykit fitted as an option or later in their life. There are also a few 110 (HP) variants around with a 1.6 engine. Of course a diesel variant was also available.

·
Registered
MG ZS 120
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully you can help me my friend. I'll attach a picture of the engine to see if you have any idea what's in there? I've also managed to get the engine started. UPDATE got a new battery today and tried to fire the engine. It ran for about 30 seconds and the died. I managed to do this a couple of times. The new battery is now drained so good news, the engine runs just need to figure out why it is dying.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Yes that's a 4 cylinder k series. Prob, 1.8, although there are a few 1.6 around. You need to fill the coolant to the max mark! That's the plastic tank in the top left of the engine bay. This being empty is not a good sign as the engine could have overheated if the engine was starved of coolant. Also check the oil is up to the correct level and look at it's condition. Does it look normal, or emulsified (as if water's got into it). I would not start again until you have done this.

·
Registered
MG ZS 120
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have checked the coolant and it is currently at the max. I have also checked the dipstick and also looks healthy. I done all this prior to starting it.
I am glad it has the correct engine in there :LOL:.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Have you put in new fuel? Checked the air filter isn't clogged? Try without the element is there. If it's been standing I've seen collapsed exhaust baffles stopping an engine running - give the exhaust a shake and check it doesn't rattle. Also, check the cam belt timing looks spot on...

·
Registered
rover_45
519 Posts
My (possibly faulty) recollection is that when the engine ECU & the alarm/security unit are not paired you get an engine that runs for about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,204 Posts
...... There are also a few 110 (HP) variants around with a 1.6 engine. Of course a diesel variant was also available.
......and a small number of 1.4/105 - sold only in the Republic of Ireland and Portugal (with a handful which were still at Longbridge when MGR went bust being sold here in the UK).

·
Registered
MG ZS 120
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right folks just an update. Bought a new set of spark plugs the old ones were well destroyed. Got her a new battery and a fuel filter just to see if that made any notice. I can now get the engine to run but only for around 30 seconds. If I even look at the throttle it stalls. I feel I am getting somewhere. Any suggestions. I know now that the plugs are good and I'm getting fuel to the engine. Anyone heard of this before?

·
Registered
MG ZS 120
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply. I have w working mg fob that locks and unlocks the door and immoboliser

·
Registered
MG ZS 120
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've removed the air box completely. Do you mean the cat? If no I'd be best removing the manifold and seeing if it runs?

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Yes that would work. I had a R214 that the baffles collapsed in the back box, causing the engine to quickly stop. I could tell as the bb sounded if it had sand in it when rattled. A blocked cat could also have a similar effect.

·
Registered
MG ZS 120
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll give that a try mg friend thank you. I'm awaiting a friend if mine to borrow his snap on obd reader

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
91 Posts
Alternator?

Στάλθηκε από το Mi A2 Lite μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts