MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
£126 PS3 price cut!!!

Sony has announced a big price drop for the PS3 in the UK. The 60GB model which launched here back in March has been reduced by £76 to a recommended £349. Sony has also announced plans to launch a much-rumoured 40GB PS3 which will go on sale in the UK for just £299, the same as the Xbox 360 Elite.

The announcement means that when the 40GB model goes on sale on 10 October, you'll be able to get a PS3 for 30 per cent less then you can today.

It's the first time since launch that Sony has reduced the PS3 console's retail price in the UK and Europe. It has had price reductions elsewhere in the world, but now the PS3 can finally start to compete on price with Microsoft's Xbox range.

The 40GB PS3 will launch without backwards compatibility and the front memory card slots, and with only two USB ports for charging wireless controllers. But apart from the obvious reduction in storage capacity, it's essentially the same console as the 60GB version - just cheaper.

At £299, it costs the same as the Xbox 360 Elite console, making the PS3 an ever more attractive purchase with the Christmas season fast approaching. The £425 recommended retail price has scared off many potential buyers in the past, but this new price point can only be a good thing for everyone.

You can be sure that you'll be able to pick up the 60GB console for less than that £369 price tag too, so even the full PS3 package will be a more attractive option.

When you consider the built in Blu-ray drive and Wi-Fi connection, the PS3 is actually starting to look like it's better value for money then the Xbox. That's assuming you want to watch HD movies and connect wirelessly to the internet, of course.

tech.co.uk

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertainment/gaming/games-consoles/news/sony-announces-126-ps3-price-cut?articleid=152492655

Should see things change drastically sales wise me thinks.....

·
Registered
cityrover
3,409 Posts
Would still rather play cards...

Or of course, with a Wii.
Sounds a bit too much like Sony ****ting bricks and backtracking a fair bit - and probably doing this at a heavy loss.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,261 Posts
Sounds a bit too much like Sony ****ting bricks and backtracking a fair bit - and probably doing this at a heavy loss.
Agreed , smacks of desperation . And they originally said we would only get the full 60gig version and not the cheaper version that USA and Japan got .

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Yup GAME are advertising the 'dumbed down' version of the PS3

http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/~r332728/Sony-PlayStation-3-Console-40GB/

This PlayStation 3 model does NOT feature:

* Backwards Compatibility with PS2 Games
* Memory Stick Card Readers
* SACD Playback
* Ethernet Cable
* 4 USB Ports, this model features 2.

ooops looks like they've had to cut costs as they're already losing money on every console.
Losing those features is bound to upset people... No memory stick reader... plain daft if you ask me.

Still maybe we'll see the PS3 finally take off a little.

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
I think the lack of backwards compatability will kill it off. I'd only consider getting one if I could replace my PS2 with it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
great news, most people would settle for 40gb anyways wouldn't they? I can't say I've ever got anywhere near the 20gb on my 360 :err: and running media centre means all my songs stay on my PC

just what the market needed

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
great news, most people would settle for 40gb anyways wouldn't they? I can't say I've ever got anywhere near the 20gb on my 360 :err: and running media centre means all my songs stay on my PC

just what the market needed
id agree 40gb is enough...except id have liked it backwards compatible and with all the goodies the other PS3s have, this is missing a few things.

wow, the Hater-ade must be on buy-one-get-one free at Tesco or something....
true....cant see why people are going mad in this thread. Im all for the price drop to give the XB some more competition.

Personnally i wouldnt mind having both, it'll need to be the 60gb with bells and whistles though :)

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts
wow, the Hater-ade must be on buy-one-get-one free at Tesco or something....
:lol:

I think the lack of backwards compatability will kill it off. I'd only consider getting one if I could replace my PS2 with it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I originally did think that too, but that said, if you want to play PS2 games, just keep your PS2! There are enough games out on the PS3 now for you not to want to anyway.

Ok, so you may have some games which you still want to play - in this case you've more than likely got a PS2 anyway, so what's the problem?

If you want to play PS2 games on the PS3, get the 60GB version.

But bearing in mind what you get for £299, its still a bargain anyway. At the VERY least, its a cheap Bluray player & media centre, even if you don't want it for the game playing ability!

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
:lol:

I originally did think that too, but that said, if you want to play PS2 games, just keep your PS2! There are enough games out on the PS3 now for you not to want to anyway.

Ok, so you may have some games which you still want to play - in this case you've more than likely got a PS2 anyway, so what's the problem?
my PS2 disappeared and is now used for playing DVDs else where. So i have 40 games left with only a 360 :lol:

Id like a little metal gear solid. I agree though, most will have their PS2s, ill be going for the 60gb version at some point. depnds how quick i want this moto x bike.

If you want to play PS2 games on the PS3, get the 60GB version.

But bearing in mind what you get for £299, its still a bargain anyway. At the VERY least, its a cheap Bluray player & media centre, even if you don't want it for the game playing ability!
indeed, cheap as chips. :dddc:

buy me one please :minxy:

Its a very good price considering the technology in it and the prices of blu-ray players. Once the real hard hitting games are out...GT5, Metal GS I can see me haivng this. Just now though, the fact that its out there with the same titles as the XB but the XBs games are actually cheaper for the same game, ill just keep playing the 360

oblivion for example. £20 in comet for XB £50 for PS3. Although comets pricing isnt exactly the best...especially for games

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
If it comes down to £200-£250 I might get one purely as a blu-ray player as Ive now come to the conclusion that neither side is going to back down on the hddvd blu ray battle.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
I want to get one again when the likes of tekken, gt and metal gear come about, but they've taken out some of the most important stuff! planning to get an xbox till the playstation gets a) good games and potentially b) cheaper!

·
Registered
456 Posts
in my opinion, a games console is for when theres nothing to do for a couple of hours other than race round a virtual track.

I dont want usb ports, ethernet ports, card readers, hd or blu-ray dvd player. I've got a computer and a dvd player for that.

I would just like to play a game now and again.

By all means they should have all that for those that want it. But why dont they have a bare bones basic machine for people like me that just want to play the new games and not pay over the odds for the a machine with loads of features that i wont use.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,261 Posts
I see they're also bringing out a 20GB too...

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/product.asp?id=ps3h001
You might find thats an old webpage . There was a 20gig version launched in USA and Japan and was going to be launched here but they backtracked and said Europe was never going to get the 20gig version . In fact the 20gig has been discontinued in USA and is now only avaialable in Japan .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts