MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
206 Posts
Hello James,
Simple things first:- oil temperature gauge reading? You can only assess the correct running oil temperature following at least a 10 mile run. It’s a common misconception that the engine oil is up to operating temperature once the coolant is - it isn’t. 70 degrees? Depends on how long the engine had been running and what the running speeds had been, but possibly around 100 degrees when up to full (in caps) operating conditions.
Sorry to be a bore James and repeating myself, but in full knowledge that these gauges are likely to be inaccurate, to me, it would be essential to know what the true actual running coolant temperature is before guessing and being concerned about anything. OK it may cost a small amount of funds, but you will then be armed with correct information to go forward with, rather than guess work. Everything might be just fine.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the input. It’s most appreciated apart from that, the car drives great. I hope we have a good summer next year to make the most them

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I‘d stop worrying about it. Between 1/4 and 1/2 sounds usual, and it gets there quickly with the new thermostat. Worry if it stays at or reaches the extremes.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
The gauges are not exactly scientific on these cars. But the heater should roast you once the cars up to temperature- ie, been running for say 4-5 miles. My TF160 has become more of an occasional user that it once was- but I still drop my son off to work saturdays and when he jumps into the car- he reaches for the dial to turn it down half-way. The temp guage by that time will be sitting just below half-way (9-o'clock) The distance between my house and Maidstone town-center being about 3 miles.
I had the oil-temp fail on me during the year- that read way too high and caused the oil-temp light to flicker! Fearing the worst, I slowed down to 60 (on the M25) as it was a long-journey to Sutton. I replaced the sender and problem solved- they are very simple designs.

·
Registered
mg_tf
44 Posts
For what it's worth, I fitted a digital water temp gauge that reads directly from the ODB2 port under the dash. It tells me exactly what is going on and how the temperature fluctuates under different driving conditions. I have made it a permanent fixture and it does not seem to cause any battery drain when the car is not being used.
It is similar to the AUTOOL X60 that sells on from various vendors on the 'net. It helped me pinpoint the exact situations when overheating is imminent.
B.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts