MG-Rover.org Forums banner

2005 ROVER 45 FOG LIGHT ISSUE

402 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  makpik 
#1 ·
HI Everyone, i am a new member and this is my first post.
I have a 1999 MGF and a 2005 Rover 45. I currently have an issue with the Rover 45.
Its failed the MOT on just the rear fog lights. Its had a new switch fitted after checking that the bulbs and fuse were okay, but they still won't work.
There is no feed to the bulbs at all. This has just been checked with a meter by a mechanic.
Could it be a relay? Where is the relay on the 2005 model and could it be linked to the intermittent windscreen setting on the stalk not working too?

Thank you for you time.

Mark.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum :)

I would say that it is almost certainly failed relays.

The relays for a number of the electrical functions in the facelift 45 are situated in the Pektron Security Control Unit, which is located behind the dash centre console. This unit contains five double relays, each controlling two electrical functions. Both the relay for the rear fogs, and for the intermittent wipe are this type in the SCU. The original fit Pektron relays don't seem to be of terribly good quality, and failures are relatively common.

I would have a good read of this thread: Pektron SCU/BCU (or at least the first couple of posts) to familiarise yourself with the unit and its common issues - there are also instructions on where to find it and remove it towards the end of the first post.

Relay replacement is relatively straightforward if you have a rudimentary grasp of using a soldering iron, and have either a desolder pump or desolder braid avalialble to you. Otherwise, I would contact technozen who can carry out relay replacement for a reasonable fee, or can supply better quality relays for around £20 for a full set of five (well worth replacing them all whilst the unit is out as it is likely that all will fail eventually).

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum :)

I would say that it is almost certainly failed relays.

The relays for a number of the electrical functions in the facelift 45 are situated in the Pektron Security Control Unit, which is located behind the dash centre console. This unit contains five double relays, each controlling two electrical functions. Both the relay for the rear fogs, and for the intermittent wipe are this type in the SCU. The original fit Pektron relays don't seem to be of terribly good quality, and failures are relatively common.

I would have a good read of this thread: Pektron SCU/BCU (or at least the first couple of posts) to familiarise yourself with the unit and its common issues - there are also instructions on where to find it and remove it towards the end of the first post.

Relay replacement is relatively straightforward if you have a rudimentary grasp of using a soldering iron, and have either a desolder pump or desolder braid avalialble to you. Otherwise, I would contact technozen who can carry out relay replacement for a reasonable fee, or can supply better quality relays for around £20 for a full set of five (well worth replacing them all whilst the unit is out as it is likely that all will fail eventually).
Thanks for writing, i had the relays replaced and things are working again, including the intermittent wipers.
The MOT has approved.
Cheers, Mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.