MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt_260
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 04 pre-facelift ZT 260. It is very low mileage (29k) and in mint condition throughout. My first week of driving resulted in receiving orders from 'er indoors' to change the straight through twin exhausts to the more quieter stainless with back boxes. All was good until yesterday when the airbag warning light came on with a message on the central display stating in red 'Airbag Fault' followed by 'Check Engine'.

Is this a common warning fault? Is it electrical? Can I do anything myself? Given the low mileage and brilliant condition of the car I was surprised to see the warnings come up.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Airbag warnings are common to all the 75/ZT's, do a search usually the under seat plugs are the problem. Many cut them out and solder.
The check engine light is something else; two things you need to do, get yourself a code reader to find out what the problem is, could be unrelated to the airbag, and get yourself over to two-sixties.com. I'm on my second V8 and with the support of the other owners it's much easier to look after.

·
Registered
rover_75
6 Posts
Be careful he with that airbag plug under the seat. Make sure that tha the battery is disconnected and the airbag fuse is pulled, then leave plenty of time for the residual electricity to die down (some say 20 minutes, but I gave mine 24 hours because I'm pessimistic). Then check the plug and do what you need to before replacing the fuse and reconnecting the battery.

I was told by a colleague who used to work for the AA that you should never disconnect a yellow wire (the airbag wire is yellow), followed by a horror story about a guy who disconnected a yellow wire with the battery still connected - nasty!

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts