MG-Rover.org Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,292 Posts
You are correct in your thinking, but something is making this earth connection and makes you miserable.
You will have to trace it sooner or later.

There are ways to isolate wiring looms with disconnection of sections and in that way try to narrow where problem is. For example disconnect wires to bonnet and boot switch. That way these wires will permanently will be in off state not capable of making earth connection.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My Tf alarm was being set off by something, possibly mini-cab radios and or door lock mechanism, decided just to lock the car by pushing the button down and then closing, no more problems from volumetric alarm.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
There are ways to isolate wiring looms with disconnection of sections and in that way try to narrow where problem is. For example disconnect wires to bonnet and boot switch. That way these wires will permanently will be in off state not capable of making earth connection.
Just an update – you’ll have seen my other thread about my battery, in which I embarrassed myself by not checking the terminals… anyway, when I cleaned and greased everything, I put the battery back in and started the car – only to notice that the little dash light indicating boot open was on.
I knew the boot was closed, so I got out and watched through the rear screen as I pushed the lid – the light went out. As the boot lid only compressed by a couple of mm, which wouldn't really bend the wiring loom, this does seem to suggest that there’s a problem with the switch, and maybe that’s what’s making my alarm trigger. Or maybe that AND the badly-connected battery :rolleyes:

I’ll have to take the switch out again for a proper look when I get the chance. The thing which puzzles me is that a switch which closes to trigger the alarm is, I’d have thought, less likely to cause problems than one which opens… eg if its contacts are corroded, a normally-open switch may malfunction, whereas a normally-closed one is less likely to…

Guess maybe I’ll just disconnect the wire to the switch, if I can remember which one it is…

·
Super Moderator
12,292 Posts
If I amy suggest something ... you found out that your boot lid might not close properly every time, or maybe ia pushed out in the night? Thqt may be caused by rubber seal around boot.
I would suggest to raise catch of the boot lid lock by few mm by adding washers under the catch bolts. Maybe that could solve the problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I would suggest to raise catch of the boot lid lock by few mm by adding washers under the catch bolts. Maybe that could solve the problem.
That's an interesting idea... but I think, first, I want to try and figure out if this is DEFINITELY the problem, and the best way to to do that is to pull the wire off ;)

61 - 66 of 66 Posts