MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
I'm looking for a cheap Android tablet to run the app on rather than use my laptop with the Android emulator.

Can anyone recommend such a tablet that is known to be capable of running the MEMSDiag app? I don't need the device to do anything else, certainly not phone calls.

Thanks.

Did you feel it improved the driveability or give any improvements in Performance?

I tried accessing the mems 1.6 on my 820 turbo yesterday after buying all the relevant leads and connectors but couldn't get it to connect with the ecu using the colours identified, what colour wires did you use on yours martin.
Hi Folks I have a Morgan Plus 4 with a T16 Rover 2Ltr engine this mems app works really well, I haven't bought the app yet it says you get more features if u buy it

my TPS seems to give me trouble

these are the symptoms

I try to start car from cold and iwatch as the car starter turns but no start!
I watch as the stepper controlling the throttle backs off then gradually starts to increase until bingo the car starts

why on earth does the mems not remember the start position?

a fix appears to be hold my foot on the accelerator a bit and she starts first time

anyone experience this?

Rob

Hi am very interested in what readings my Morgan rover t16 engine should give I will use this to try and solve my starting problems stepper backing off and the returning to idle position on start with starter motor a foot on accelerator pedal seems to work best!

Hi am very interested in what readings my Morgan rover t16 engine should give I will use this to try and solve my starting problems stepper backing off and the returning to idle position on start with starter motor a foot on accelerator pedal seems to work best!
There's also Al Richey's Windows suite MEMSLogger and MEMSAnalyser. However, they are best used for data logging and post-run analysis

http://www.rmrsoft.com/mems/index.htm

It's based on Colin Bourassa's MEMSGauge program, also for Windows, and that is real time. Between the 3 developers' programs, there's a powerful diagnostic toolbox.

I can't quite envisage what's happening from your description, but if you send me a detailed sequence of instructions, either by personal message or on the forum, I'd happily repeat them on my Rover 100 (MEMS 1.6) and send you the output from Al's MEMSAnalyser. At least that will give you something to compare to.

The May 2016 issue of Car Mechanics (UK magazine) will carry a 2-page article on Rover MEMS diagnostic software for Windows and Android. The Windows programs are MEMSGauge and MEMSLogger/MEMSAnalyser, and the Andriod app is MEMSDiag. (MEMSGauge also has a Linux version.)

Hey martin,

Long time since being on here due to issues with the security breach and getting a new password, what a per lava.

Since getting my wires sorted and soldered correctly all is good and I carry a lead in the car so if I get a problem out and about I can hook up with the phone.

However the very early part of this year I managed to get myself a full T4 diagnostic set up with all the discs right up to the last models produced. Couldn't use it for ages as the brick was knackered but have recently got one of these and all is good and now talk with all my cars via T4 so if anyone gets stuck and needs to get onto T4 I may be able to help out given notice.

Wow! I just saw some photos of the T4. You certainly won't be interested in reverse-engineeered MEMS diagnostic software!

Are you IT savvy? Pawel, the deveoper of MEMSDiag and indeed the developers of the 2 Windows programs are hoping that someone with kit like yours can intercept, that is "sniff" the commands that are sent to the MEMS ECUs so that they can clear up some of the unknown data in their apps/programs. I wouldn't know where to start with such stuff even if I had proprietary diagnostic kit. I don't suppose you can help can you?

Certainly happy to help if I can as it would help more rover owners to fix and preserve the cars on the road.

While i am confident around a pc and certain programming i am not an expert in the field, that being said if they can tell me what they need and can give instructions or happy to to the work over a telephone i am sure we can do it.

That's very decent of you, I'll send you a private message with the email of the developer of MEMSDiag. He did recenrly explain to another person how to sniff the commands from a piece of equipment he had, and some information came back but then it all went quiet.

Anyway, you're under no obligation and I certainly wouldn't want to take you out of your comfort zone or get you involved in anything that causes you problems in any way.

I'll let Pawel know that he may well be contacted by a Rover owner with a T4 willing to help provided good guidance is given.

No bother at all Martin. If he is UK based and wants to visit me at my home then I can provide as much assistance as is necessary and he can interrogate the data streams as much as he wants.

You will see from my list of cars that I have most of the diagnostic levels rover used. mems 1.6 & 1.9 on the 800 & 600 and later stuff on the MGTF and rover 45 (05 reg)

Bumping this back from the grave...didn't pursue this back when I first posted on this thread in 2015 as I had an early 600 diesel with the old-style 3 pin connector for MEMS 1.6. Now have a facelift Ti, MEMS 1.9 with the OBD-style connector.
Bought a VAG-KKL cable and a USB-OTG cable to give this a shot, but my Android phone just says ERR: USB device not found
Sad times. I know the OTG adapter works because I can attach a keyboard, mouse, or USB drive and my phone picks it up. The cable shows a red LED when I plug it into the phone so it's at least getting power...not sure what the issue is.
Will give this a try with a laptop and the Andyroid emulator probably at the weekend and see if I have any luck, might help diagnosing my idle issues.

Bumping this back from the grave...didn't pursue this back when I first posted on this thread in 2015 as I had an early 600 diesel with the old-style 3 pin connector for MEMS 1.6. Now have a facelift Ti, MEMS 1.9 with the OBD-style connector.
Bought a VAG-KKL cable and a USB-OTG cable to give this a shot, but my Android phone just says ERR: USB device not found
Sad times. I know the OTG adapter works because I can attach a keyboard, mouse, or USB drive and my phone picks it up. The cable shows a red LED when I plug it into the phone so it's at least getting power...not sure what the issue is.
Will give this a try with a laptop and the Andyroid emulator probably at the weekend and see if I have any luck, might help diagnosing my idle issues.
I've not had any success with this so far...didn't have any luck getting Andyroid to even boot for some reason, but using VirtualBox and an Android ISO which did boot, I ran into the same issue as on my phone - MemsDiag says no.
Maybe the cable I have is no good but I've no way of really testing it.

Edit: took my cable apart and it turns out it has the CH340 chipset which the Memsdiag site notes as not compatible. Which is great, as it was sold to me as an FTDI chipset! Purchased a new cable and I'll try that when it arrives, hopefully I'll have better luck.

Bought a new cable which works perfectly, the app is great.
The free version is time-limited in terms of how long you can view data, but you can close and re-connect to view again. I paid for the full version as soon as I knew it worked, as it removes this limitation, adds logging, more items to get data from, and adds some tuning options.
Hopefully I can now start gathering some data to help with my poor cold running.

So this thread has been dead for almost as year but I figure it’s worth a try, I have a ‘97 Mini MPI and I’m just wondering if this app works with it and specifically which cable I’d need. I have a really bad pre-ignition that’s started and it seems to be from something electrical but with no diag equipment I can’t find what. Thanks in advance for any help

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.