MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 TF 135 has been stored for 15 years and the plastic rear window cracked when I first lowered the hood. I was given a second hand glass rear screen and have fitted this. Unfortunately the screen will not sit flat when the hood is lowered and looks to be too tight. After fitting I had to loosen the screen clamps to get them to snap closed. Even worse the pressure has ripped some teeth out of the zip! Considering the very low mileage I propose to fit a complete new hood and a local, retired, trimmer has quoted me £150 for labour but I will have to actually buy one for him. Are all hoods and frames of the same design. I wonder if the glass screen I was given is from an earlier car than mine. I will of course buy the hood and glass screen as a compete unit. Are there any suggestions for a good supplier. I will be visiting the NEC Classic Car Show on Friday and hope to discuss the situation will potential suppliers but any info from owners would be great.

Jan T

·
In the Garage
mg_tf
32,805 Posts
The hood with a glass window will be either from a later model (a 2005 MY car or a 2009 MY car) or aftermarket as plastic windows were the normal fit until 2005 just before MGR collapsed. The alternative is retain the original hood and replace the window either with a new plastic or glass unit.

BAS International are a good starting point http://www.car-hood.co.uk/mg-hoods
Prestige Auto Trim are another https://prestigeautotrim.com/uk/mg-mgf.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
HI I had a new hood fitted OEM fitted a few weeks ago by MGFnTFBITZ. Came to the house to fit it, but will also do it at their workshop in Glossop for £25.00. Original cost of hood supplied on ref-furbished frame £400.00.

As hood was supplied on refurbished frame, it was pre-stretched. Very please with quality and service. Give them a call for a quote.

Only thing to consider is that I fitted new Hood Seals about 6 month earlier, and therefore took them of my hood and fitted them to the re-furbished (new) hood frame.

Hope this helps.

Robert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts