MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, after one conversation I had, I needed more opinions on this one! Do we have high mileage Rovers with Rover K series inside, not Honda! Let's sea...

Στάλθηκε από το Mi A2 Lite μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,141 Posts
This thread perhaps ought to be in the general MG Rover chat section as it isn't limited to the 400/45/ZS ;)

Beyond the head gasket failures of the K series, there are no other frequently occurring significant problems with any of the Rover engines. There are however, massive and frequently occurring problems with supposed mechanics/technicians who don't know very much at all.

I used to have a 1996 bubble Rover 216 which had over 108k miles on the clock when I sold it on (at 8 years old and having had HGF at 82k). The last time it had an MOT test (about 5 years later), it had got to 136k.

Its replacement, an MG ZR 120, had 101k on the clock when it was written off on an icy road at just short of 10 years old (HGF at 62k). My current 120 is in the 90s and showing no signs of problems at present (having had the head gasket replaced properly at just under 40k).

I have spent the last 10 years or so tracing and tracking the survival of the MG Express - I have identities of all but 23 of them, and of the petrol versions there are 5 that had between 125k and 150k at the last MOT, 4 between 150k and 175k, and one that had 186k and one with 188k (both 160s). I don't know whether any of them have had an engine replacement, but it is unlikely that more than a few of them have had a complete new engine fitted. When you look at the diesels, there are several which have reached in excess of 200k, and one which had just over 250k at last MOT.

Likewise, I have a fairly long list of Monogram coloured ZRs, of which six had between 150k and 175k at the last MOT test, and there were two 105s with 181k and 193k repectively. The Orange Grove with 181k has been scrapped, but the Atmosphere 193k one is still about (although has been SORN for over a year).

There are several petrol K4 Rover 75s and MG ZTs with over 200k on the clock that are still around too.

So no, there isn't really anything wrong with Rover engines - they are quite capable of outlasting the useable lifetime of the bodyshell in most cases. However, to compare them with the Honda engines that Rover used in some older models - those would probably outlast two or three bodyshell lifetimes.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply!!!

I know that our engines aren't the most bulletproof ones, in my opinion though the problem get bigger from people who take advantage of this fact to rip off people where they could fix an engine to last longer, and on the other hand people who don't search further believing that there is nothing left to do!

I have a picture attached, top and bottom Victor Reinz head gasket and in the middle copper gasket, for the moment everything is OK, I took it even further with a head that probably no-one would use, the timing was impossible, I managed to overcome this one! My normal mistake is that I should have not used this gasket for the bottom as my liners are not that proud, I hope it will pass the 6 months....

Στάλθηκε από το Mi A2 Lite μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,762 Posts
I owned a ROVER Cabriolet with 126,000 miles on it when I sold it, the current owner still uses it weekly and does a lot of shows around the countrym it currently has 157,000 on it and he reports no issues.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Nothing wrong with the engines it's poor quality parts and mechanics not understanding the engine in 90% of the time. If I had a £ for every time I'd taken the head of a K Series that had a recent HG change, MLS gasket, low liners, original oil rail and no PRT thermostat I'd be a lot better off

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I’ve had 5 k-series engined MG-R’s. I keep on getting them as I like the engine! 🤭

Lightweight, good power delivery through the rev range, economical and easy to work on. And usually bargains in the UK!

I admit they do tend to consume their coolant at some stage, so need to be monitored, and put right (hopefully before HGF). Maybe not for people who will never open their bonnet between annual services, but k’s suit me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts