MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Posted a few bits now on doing up my mg tf firstly I know the hg has fail parts ordered . The car has been stood two years so I’m on with the brakes done the front set now going to the back .
Firstly I see the handbrake works off the discs can I just undo the calliper and clean them as normal or does the handbrake need adjusting when I put them back . I’m also painting the callipers black and trying to get other jobs on it done too .

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
The callipers have the wind out mechanism and it is this and wear in the housing that gives problems. I tried to get mine right over some months and I admit that I failed. I ended up replacing them as having brakes jamming on or not releasing is almost and dangerous as having no back brakes.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,998 Posts
The rear brakes are a pain, as Pat says one way of finding the sate of the calliper is to wind back the piston, this should go back with a minimum of effort. If there is an issue consider new not rebuilt callipers.

when putting the callipers back on leave the handbrake disconnected at the callipers and drive the car for a few miles to reset the calliper before reconnecting the cable.

·
Registered
rover_75
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rear brakes are a pain, as Pat says one way of finding the sate of the calliper is to wind back the piston, this should go back with a minimum of effort. If there is an issue consider new not rebuilt callipers.

when putting the callipers back on leave the handbrake disconnected at the callipers and drive the car for a few miles to reset the calliper before reconnecting the cable.
Cheers Chris
Just got the car an

thanks Chris
The callipers look fine discs almost look new as do pads just been stood a long while , how does the handbrake work then does it apply pressure inside the brake cylinder to put it on I have to say just had a quick look

1 - 4 of 4 Posts