MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I bought an mg tf about a month ago , my rear lights start flickering when I'm driving every so often and having owned the car about 4 weeks last week the alternator burned out , I have replaced it now but my light are still playing up , I'm worried that the new alternator will burn out due to an electrical fault , can anyone shed some light on this for me please.

·
Registered
mgf
118 Posts
Hi I bought an mg tf about a month ago , my rear lights start flickering when I'm driving every so often and having owned the car about 4 weeks last week the alternator burned out , I have replaced it now but my light are still playing up , I'm worried that the new alternator will burn out due to an electrical fault , can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
If all the rear lights are affected I would be taking a close look at the boot lid loom, as this is a known area where wires are prone to damage and could give you the problems you describe.

:broonkilt:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Would agree with that, had problems with this loom too. This also affected the boot alarm setting. Easy enough to do and you will probably be able see signs of damage as soon as you look.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
The loom is on the left hand side as you look in the boot area, near or attached to the left hand hinge, even if it looks ok peel the tape and copex back and you will almost definately find some damaged wiring, nice easy fix :)

·
Registered
mgf
120 Posts
Sorry for hijack but could this loom be responsible for an intermittent issue with my car? Occasionally the N/S rear indicator wont work and other weird electrical things happen, i.e. the fog light warning light comes on when I brake. It goes away when I waggle the wires going into the rear light cluster.

I've check the wires/contacts on the rear light cluster and everything seems to be OK.

TIA.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
In word yes just carefully cut away the tubing and examine the wires they will break at the point where they flex the most. To repair just solder and shrink wrap. It's worth doing properly.

·
Registered
rover_25
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice , it was the boot loom the hinge for the boot had rub against it an gone threw 6 wires.

·
Registered
mgf
1 Posts
would say break light switch under brake pedal very easy and cheap fix, buy a new switch which are not expensive. this is a common fault on mgf/ts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The loom is on the left hand side as you look in the boot area, near or attached to the left hand hinge, even if it looks ok peel the tape and copex back and you will almost definately find some damaged wiring, nice easy fix :)
Three wires in my loom were also broken when I investigated after a following friend had noticed the flickering.
I crimp rejoined the broken wires and extended a couple more, which gave the loom more room to move when the boot is opened and closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts